• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TPA3255 integrated amp

carlmart

I have been looking for some time for a small amp to replace the one I use on my computer desk, and I haven't found it yet. It has to be affordable, well less than $200 and not too large.
The chip of choice seems to be the reliable TPA3255, but it needs to have a very important capability: input selector. I don't care for treble, bass or balance control, as never used them and were never on any DIY design I built. Not even a line level input preamp I think is necessary, but you do need an input selector.
So I do not understand why it is not present on any Aiyima or Douk Audio product around.
Today I was looking at the Douk Audio H7 amp, and I found it an absolutely crazy design. The space on the back that could be used to put several RCA input sockets was used by two large XLR connectors, all controlled by selector up front that selected between XLR and RCA inputs! A switch that could be used for input selection, say 4 or 5 inputs.
On my computer desk I have a desktop and a laptop, and sometimes need to plug another unit, that could use such an integrated amp.
Am I wrong or there's not such a thing?

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Back in the olden days, we often needed multiple inputs, perhaps 1 each for a tuner, tape deck, CD player and a turntable. Now many people, myself included, have ditched the analogue devices and just need a single input, for a DAC connected to a PC, or a streamer type device, which is the source for internet radeo, streaming services, local files etc..

However, if you do need to connect multiple devices you can get separate input selecters:

There's a whole bunch more here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=rca+input+selector&i=electronics

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just use an actual preamp with the A7 Aiyima for convenience, such as my reworked NAD. Or, a switch selector if I want to keep simple.

Kimbrough Xu

I have been looking for some time for a small amp to replace the one I use on my computer desk, and I haven't found it yet. It has to be affordable, well less than $200 and not too large.
The chip of choice seems to be the reliable TPA3255, but it needs to have a very important capability: input selector. I don't care for treble, bass or balance control, as never used them and were never on any DIY design I built. Not even a line level input preamp I think is necessary, but you do need an input selector.
So I do not understand why it is not present on any Aiyima or Douk Audio product around.
Today I was looking at the Douk Audio H7 amp, and I found it an absolutely crazy design. The space on the back that could be used to put several RCA input sockets was used by two large XLR connectors, all controlled by selector up front that selected between XLR and RCA inputs! A switch that could be used for input selection, say 4 or 5 inputs.
On my computer desk I have a desktop and a laptop, and sometimes need to plug another unit, that could use such an integrated amp.
Am I wrong or there's not such a thing?

Most of the class d amplifiers are too small to add so many inputs, but maybe you can ask @Fosi Audio to develop such an amp, they are active here.

Top Bottom