• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Townsend Isolda cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well done Alt.
2Ulf.gif

You watched the whole thing? The bit about the bracelet changing the chemistry of water in a glass in 20 minutes? Or how he measured the level of cancer a relative had in hospital and declared that she would live? That you can beam waves into someone's brain to heal them, let alone make them like music better? This was all well done?

Even the poor girl interviewing him was rolling her eyes, over and over again....

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That is the question. Well asked.
He was looking for an answer from you.

Anyway, so you are afraid of me testing your cable for audibility difference and measurements?

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
You are confusing resistance and impedance. see attached and

No you are confused by the concept of DC being 0 frequency and transmission lines of finite length (in the case of speaker cables, very finite).

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Geert

Major Contributor
Again, to what is 0dB on that chart referenced?
To nothing I think. To my understanding REW was used to measure voltages, and the dB label is only there because it's the default label in REW for a frequency transfer graph. Unless Max confirms he calibrated REW to the 1V input signal he used for the measurements. Which isn't the case I guess, because that amount of loss in a cable looks impossible.

Max Townshend

Audio Company
To nothing I think. To my understanding REW was used to measure voltages, and the dB label is only there because it's the default label in REW for a frequency transfer graph. Unless Max confirms he calibrated REW to the 1V input signal he used for the measurements. Which isn't the case I guess, because that amount of loss in a cable looks impossible.
The settings I used were the maximum voltage into the cable that did not cause the clipping indicator to go red on the REW. I did not measure the voltage in, as it does not matter, as long as the settings are not changed between measuring each cable.

mansr

Major Contributor
I think there's been a mix-up of terms. We're clearly dealing with characteristic impudence here.

Max Townshend

Audio Company
BTW.
1. Has anyone heard a difference between speaker cables?
2. Has anyone heard a difference in the sound on the clip
3. I have tried to explain it, but some are not happy. Is it just coincidence that the traces track characteristic impedance quite closely?

Geert

Major Contributor
The settings I used were the maximum voltage into the cable that did not cause the clipping indicator to go red on the REW. I did not measure the voltage in, as it does not matter, as long as the settings are not changed between measuring each cable.
Altough it would have been interesting to see which levels (voltage) of cable losses we're talking about.

Geert

Major Contributor
BTW.
2. Has anyone heard a difference in the sound on the clip
Yes, but where's the comparison with a typical speaker cable? The cable with the widely separated strips is specifically created to exaggerate the effect, it has no practical use.

Max Townshend

Audio Company
Altough it would have been interesting to see which levels (voltage) of cable losses we're talking about.
I have measured the voltages in these two images. Input 55.5 mV and set the y axis to volts. Driven from the monitor speaker output of the 2i2 set to maximum.
2 flat strips apart.jpg
2 strips close. Isolda.jpg
2 strips close. Isolda.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom