• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Townsend Isolda cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Townshend

Audio Company
Actually I just watched the video. We have absolutely no information as to the test set up. You could be doing anything. Its totally meaningless as far as demonstrating or proving anything.

It sounds just like you have put a high capacitance in the circuit which has filtered the high frequencies.............

.....remind me, whats the capacitance of your cable?

Oh BTW, what happens when these allegedly massive reflections come back and hit an amp with an output impedance of 3mOhms?
Please look at the schematic of the test circuit, attached.
I know, it sounds just like a capacitor in the case of the Isolda, but what you are hearing here is just the resistance loss. The Monster (3 sq mm) has higher resistance than the Isolda (4 sq mm), so ti should sound softer, but it sounds and measures much louder.

Them 7m Monster is 3.64mH, 406pF, 294mohm
The 7m Isolda is 2.45uH, 65.8nF, 189mohm

When these reflections hit the amplifier, they reflect back, virtually unchanged.

Attachments

• Cable test circuit Simple.pdf
    11.6 KB · Views: 138

Max Townshend

Audio Company
The fun part would be if you could use an 8 Ohm cable made up from 6 lengths of 50 Ohm.
I would suggest to connect 3 mantles to the - of the amp and the core to the + and from the other 3 the core to the - and the mantle to the +
All 6 in parallel.
When Max is right the attenuation will be 0.02dB for both 80Hz and 20kHz.

That would validate his claims but completely invalidate the audibility of it.

Then we are all on the same page and while Max may be correct and the frequency response is better this way (due to reflections and not skin effect ?) then one can argue how audible a 0.08dB drop is at 20kHz.
I am sure audiophiles with hearing up to 100kHz (MQA users ?) will appreciate the difference.

Thanks for trying this... am at work a.t.m. so can't do it now ... and don't have enough 50 or 75 Ohm coax anyway.
You must join all the outer (mantle)s together and all the centre conductors together.
We are not hearing minute level differences here, we are hearing hard edgy smearing caused by the decay of the multiple reflections from every transient.

k3nb5t

Forum Donor
Is it because there is always a ........I was going to say gullible audiophile ready to lap it up, but thats not fair. Why should they know anything about this level of technical detail? They have no chance of weeding out the BS.

I don't have much to offer the debate at hand, but I couldn't pass this comment up. This is precisely why I am grateful to have found this forum. It isn't hard to sound like you know what you are talking about when the people you are talking to lack the expertise to challenge you. I am grateful to the members of this community for taking up the mantle for the rest of us.

For the sake of balance, I also want to offer some appreciation to manufacturers like Max Townshend coming here to defend their products. Nobody benefits from a one-sided debate.

I hope you'll pardon the brief interruption of this lively debate :)

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
You also need to include 3uH in series.

Isolda (incl. 3uH) is acting as a low pass filter around 620kHz (lumped filter) @ -3dB
The monster cable being much lower in capacitance and about equal in inductance (as the 3uH inductor) should be well into the MHz but the evidence says the generic cable starts to drop off below 200kHz.

Its late and Im missing a few things, so to go back to this. Am I correct in saying we have a 3uH inductor in series with the speaker? I havent done the calcs but we not have a speaker dependent variable filter with this cable?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, but 3uH is not similar to say 3mH....

The 3uH is probably already inside most amps anyway.

The 7m Monster is 3.64mH, 406pF, 294mohm
The 7m Isolda is 2.45uH, 65.8nF, 189mohm

thanks, resistance wise the monster cable thus would play very slightly softer in real life and show a higher 'measured signal' across the wire.
Just as is happening.
So a combination of Ohmic losses and ... well reflections or skin effect ?

The monster cable is 3.64mH ? are you sure... 3.64uH is more realistic. just around 0.5uH/meter.
And the isolda is 2.45uH is that including the 1.5uH or excluding ? If the latter than your specs in your website are wrong.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
We are not hearing minute level differences here, we are hearing hard edgy smearing caused by the decay of the multiple reflections from every transient.
This is simply untrue.

The cable is too short/wavelength too long. Any reflection, if there was one, is too close in time to the instigating wave. The point we all have been making from the start.

The cable would have to be several km in length before it starts to become an issue. Hence the previous statements:

If a “long” line is considered to be one at least 1/4 wavelength in length, you can see why all connecting lines in the circuits discussed thusfar have been assumed “short.” For a 60 Hz AC power system, power lines would have to exceed 775 miles in length before the effects of propagation time became significant. Cables connecting an audio amplifier to speakers would have to be over 4.65 miles in length before line reflections would significantly impact a 10 kHz audio signal!

1553618197446.png

.......and lets define transient.

We have band limited systems. With CD you are not seeing a transient above 22kHz, which you cant hear anyway. So there is a limited rise time to the signal.

Last edited:

Max Townshend

Audio Company
I think he means the voltage across the wire is rising with frequency.
This means the voltage across the load is decreasing.

The 6dB and 12dB numbers he uses to describe how much the HF rises compared to the lower frequencies.

The important part however is still a mystery as till now he did not mention the absolute levels of the voltage across the wire and the voltage the amp is putting out.

Let's see it this way... assume the difference between 50Hz and 20kHz is 12dB and the resistance over which this is measured is 0.01 Ohm.
The load will be approx 8Ohm and will be perhaps 10 Ohm at 20kHz.

The ratio between the impedance and cable = factor 800
The rise in the resistance of the monster cable = factor 4 so at 20khz the factor is brought down to 200 which means the resistance rises to 0.04 Ohm

This means that the voltage drop at the end of the cable is double (2 lengths of wire).
Simple calculus brings us to the following values:

8/(8+0.02) = 0.9975 = -0.02dB for the isolda.
8/(8+0.08) = 0.99 = - 0.086dB for the monster cable.

So at 20kHz the Isolda will play 0.06dB louder.... very audible indeed.

Its why I insist on knowing the actual voltage levels.
In reality the connectors used will also add some differences... but I think this is what we are talking about here.
At 200kHz the Isolda will become measurably 'better' but who cares ?
The absolute levels don't matter, as long as the drive amplifier does not clip.
Its late and Im missing a few things, so to go back to this. Am I correct in saying we have a 3uH inductor in series with the speaker? I havent done the calcs but we not have a speaker dependent variable filter with this cable?
There are 2 x 1.5uH inductors in the amplifier end of the cable. If there is already one in the amplifier. 3 to 6uH is academic, but if there is no 3uH inductor, the amplifier will oscillate (Exposure, Naim NVA a Tosheba and an amplifier? made in Greece). Since we put in the inductor, we have had no trouble, so I don't know if there are any/many modern amplifiers without one.
I am doing a sine wave video

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

There are 2 x 1.5uH inductors in the amplifier end of the cable. If there is already one in the amplifier. 3 to 6uH is academic, but if there is no 3uH inductor, the amplifier will oscillate (Exposure, Naim NVA a Tosheba and an amplifier? made in Greece). Since we put in the inductor, we have had no trouble, so I don't know if there are any/many modern amplifiers without one.
I am doing a sine wave video

Make whatever videos you like, it wont change the facts around transmission lines.

OK a question, lets say for the moment the unusual electrical parameters of the cable are unimportant for frequency response.

For a typical speaker cable, please state your velocity factor, what time is taken for a 20kHz transient to its reflection bouncing from the speaker and back to the amp and back to the speaker (which is curious in itself if your amp only has a few mOhms output impedance) in a system with 10m cable?

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor

So when 99.9 % of all people on this planet use generic or at least non-8 Ohm cables they will all be hearing hard edgy smeared sound ?
And we need to buy an 8 Ohm cable to finally be rid of this and experience a non-smeared sound soft and smooth sound.

Come to think of it ... that may only be true when the music source is MQA ... :rolleyes:

Nah... I will use a Dutch saying translated word for word in English so it becomes weird. 'make that the cat wise'

solderdude

Grand Contributor

You are right but obviously don't get my question or deliberately make up an answer to avoid.

The absolute levels ARE important in this test.
It's all about the ratio between the voltage drop across the cable and the voltage across the load.
To determine the ratio you need the absolute level differences between these 2 voltages.

As shown... your 12dB difference is my calculated 0.06dB and we will both be correct.
The absolute numbers will ruthlessly show this.
The real world effect will be inaudibly small... just as most blind cable testers and null testers already know.

The mismatch theory is nice ... it may well be true but is of no consequence here as the differences are too small.
There should also be some skin effects in your measurements but don't hear you talk about it as if only the 'bouncing' is the reason.

You may well be right the impedance mismatch (combined or not with skin-effects ?) may be root cause of what you are measuring with your method but the real world effect at 20kHz is just a 0.06dB difference, but from a sales point of view your story is much more interesting.

Max Townshend

Audio Company
Here is a video with sine waves and the input to the cable Ch 1 and the output of the cable Ch 2. (Square waves as well)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uPC8LX_j88AksjM6GvXBBMkstIPoo5mT

The voltage level is about 1.5V PP (not 1.6V), which is about 0.86VRMS
I made a mistake at 6.8K where I say 8.3K (no glasses on)
The Monster is higher in resistance than the Isolda, resulting in a difference of about 2.5dB. This shows at about 500Hz.
The scale on the analyser is 5dB between the graticules.

The big question is, why is there such a discrepancy from 1kHz and up? Monster much louder than Isolda and it is clearly audible. It is enormously larger than the 0.06dB you predicted.

I think skin effect can be ignored below 20kHz.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
This would be VERY easy to measure.

Voltmeter on input of the cable (across the output of the amp)
Use a sine of say 100Hz... measure the input voltage on the cable and output voltage on the cable with load.
Do this for both cables and post the values.

NOT the values you measure across the cable. These are actually currents and measured with 2 different shunts (the wires)
There cannot possibly be a 2.5dB difference in the load between the 2 cables.

We are talking past each other and speak of different dB's.
Because of different shunts (the wire in the cable) the values you measure cannot be compared other than in the spectrum (when normalized to a low frequency).

Will do the calculations again but this time using the reported resistance values.

1.5V PP is not 0.86VRMS when a sine wave is used.
The Vrms is 0.53V in this case.

Last edited:

Max Townshend

Audio Company
The scope is connected across the speaker terminals of the power amplifier and across the dummy speaker load, as it clearly shows in the circuit. This has always been the case. The two superimposed sine waves are the voltages you have asked for.

By inverting one channel and adding it to the other, we can show the difference between the amplifier terminals and the load terminals. By measuring the voltage between the two black terminals, we get exactly half the difference voltage as shown on the scope. It is just a handy way to find out what is lost in the speaker cable. A perfect cable would have zero voltage difference, a cable with resistance would have a fat bass and rolled off treble due to the finite resistance of the cable rising the Zc at low frequencies. A mismatched cable will have a rising treble response, which is exactly what we find here.

The 2.5dB difference between the loss in the two cables is due to the different resistance between 3 sq mm(Monster) and 4 sq mm (Isolda).

You are right, 1.5V PP is 0.53V. Also, some of the figures on the website are wrong and will be corrected in due course.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

OK a question

For a typical speaker cable, please state your velocity factor, what time is taken for a 20kHz transient to its reflection bouncing from the speaker and back to the amp and back to the speaker (which is curious in itself if your amp only has a few mOhms output impedance) in a system with 10m cable?

Max Townshend

Audio Company
OK a question

The SPICE simulations attached show this for four different cables. Isolda is the last.
If you don't like transmission line proposition (blue trace), then lumped parameters (red trace) may suit you. However, both cases yield virtually identical results.

BTW. What is a 20kHz transient?

Attachments

• CABLE SIMULATIONS Rev GM.pdf
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 315

solderdude

Grand Contributor

The video clearly shows a very small difference in roll-off which is shown before so no surprise.
That's not under debate. What's being questioned is the audibility of it.
When I do some calculations based on the amplitude and divisions of the scope image at 12kHz I see (c.a.) - 0.1dB attenuation by the Isolda and -0.3dB by the Monster cable.

Now below some calculations based on the given data of the cables:
load 8 Ohm
Isolda = 0.189 Ohm
Monster = 0.294 Ohm

Isolda:
8/(8+0.189) = 0.977x = -0.2dB attenuation in the load (assuming the total cable round trip = 0.189 Ohm) This seems likely as acc. to the specs on the website one would expect 0.12 Ohm for 7 meters.

So the attenuation of the loudspeaker signal due to resistive component in the Isolda cable is 0.2dB and when using the website - 0.13dB.

Monster:
8/(8+0.294) = 0.965x = -0.3dB attenuation in the load.

The speaker (in this case the dummy load) would thus sound 0.1dB (or almost 0.2dB) louder with the Isolda due to Ohmic causes.

Of course there is some small treble roll-off at 20kHz which is clearly seen as the differences get smaller in lower frequencies.
As there are no exact values it looks like the treble roll-off is about -0.1dB to 0.2dB more at 12kHz compared to 500Hz.

There is more:

The reason it shows an estimated difference of 2.5dB (can't resolve 5dB in this case) is because the DC resistance where you measure across has the same current (the one through the dummy load) but is in fact a different shunt resistor.
0.147/0.0945 works out as 1.5555 = 3.8dB
That would be the actual difference assuming the resistance of the cable is measured correctly.

In any case it is obvious we are talking about different dB's
You talk about dB differences between different shunts, and I talk about the differences between the voltages across the load (which would normally be a speaker which one would listen to).
We would thus hear a 0.1dB level differences between the cables and not 3.8dB

Now... assuming the 12dB (x factor 4) difference you reported earlier and is shown in the video with the noise between the lower frequencies and the highest ones. The calculation is as follows (assuming perfect FR and 100% Ohmic Isolda).

At 160Hz the attenuation of the monstercable = -0.3dB but at 20kHz the 'seemingly increase of resistance due to reflections (not skin effect ?) would be 8/(8+(4x0.294)) = 0.87x = -1.2dB

So while the Isolda would have a flat FR the FR at the dummy load would be sloping downwards by 0.9dB.

That would be audible assuming your 12dB difference in high frequencies across the shunt would really be there between 160Hz and 20kHz.

So your 12dB is my 0.9dB in reality.
But the rol-off is there. NO doubt about it.
You say the reason is reflections but do not hear you talk about the skin effect.

From an online skin effect calculator found on the web I got the following results.
freq. factor resistance at that frequency
100Hz = fact 1.0 * 0.294 Ohm = 0.294 Ohm
1kHz = fact 1.05 * 0.294 Ohm = 0.3087 Ohm
10kHz = fact 2.24 * 0.294 Ohm = 0.658 Ohm
20kHz = fact 3.0 * 0.294 Ohm = 0.882 Ohm
100kHz = fact 6.5 * 0.294 Ohm = 1.911 Ohm

This will give factor 3 increase in treble at 20kHz due to the skin effect = 10dB more treble across the cable. This close to the estimated 12dB in your measurement ?

It is pointless to do this for the Isolda as the conductor is very thin so all current will flow around the outside anyway (1-nil for Isolda).
So a Monster cable of 7 meter length will have -0.3dB less output at 20kHz than at 1kHz due to skin effect alone and -0.9dB at 100kHz.
It appears to me that part of the 'roll-off' can at least be attributed to skin effect.

Also one has to realize that the scope amplitude measurements have an error as well.

In any case I am not really worried about 0.something treble roll-off in a 7 meter cable. It will be less in more reasonable lengths.

To me it is clear... there are very, very small differences between cables and not worth fussing about. Certainly not clearly audible and also not the root cause of the reported sound differences.
It is clear to me where the reported '12dB' comes from and can understand why you would want to show this.
In my opinion it would be more honest to speak about the consequences and level differences at the load and not in the cable as one then must 'convert' those numbers back to the real world.

To me it seems the biggest part may be skin effect but one can only prove that by using more spacing between the conductors in the cable and do the measurements again.
This could be done by laying 2 Isolda cables on top of each other, evenly spaced and using one wire in each cable.
That way one could prove the waveguide theory to be valid when the treble roll-off changes.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The SPICE simulations attached show this for four different cables. Isolda is the last.
If you don't like transmission line proposition (blue trace), then lumped parameters (red trace) may suit you. However, both cases yield virtually identical results.

BTW. What is a 20kHz transient?
You are not answering the question.

You know, nS, pS.

What I mean by 20kHz transient is A transient signal with a rise time no shorter than that of a 20kHz sine wave. Ie NOT a high frequency square wave or a step change which are invalid signals for this test as discussed previously.

Last edited:

Max Townshend

Audio Company
So, is a "20kHz transient" is a band-limited step with a rise time of half a cycle of a 20kHz sine wave?

You can deduce the velocity factor from the trace crossings of the four traces in the simulations.
The velocity of propagation in a line is from 0.95C to about 0.72C. Dielectric loss has the greatest slowing effect. I think PVC is worst- it is a really awful insulator. Avoid where ever possible.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
You are avoiding answering the question. Why?

The answer is very pertinent to the validity of your assertion:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom