• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tower vs bookshelf speakers

cathodeb

I am considering replacing my bookshelf (PMC DB1) speakers with tower speakers. I have the room for towers and my room size is ample, but with so much discussion about bookshelf speakers here and products like Buchardt, I'm really wondering exactly what the upside of tower speakers are. I do not play music loud and have a sub. Is tower vs bookshelf still a quality of sound issue? Are people now tending to go with bookshelves for almost all situations that do not involve loud music?

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The differences are simply in bass extension, maximum SPL (volume), and distortion. Larger speakers tend to be capable of higher SPLs at lower distortion and tend to extend to lower frequencies. If you have subs and listen at only moderate SPLs, you probably don't need tower speakers, although tower speakers will (all else equal) still tend to play cleaner at any given SPL.

OP
C

cathodeb

The differences are simply in bass extension, maximum SPL (volume), and distortion. Larger speakers tend to be capable of higher SPLs at lower distortion and tend to extend to lower frequencies. If you have subs and listen at only moderate SPLs, you probably don't need tower speakers, although tower speakers will (all else equal) still tend to play cleaner at any given SPL.

Perfect.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe one point to add, tower speakers with a similar construction to a bookshelf like wall widths can have due to their dimensions higher enclosure vibrations and thus parasitic sound (unless extra care is taking with several ribs or other stiffnenings), but how much that is audible is still a point of research.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe one point to add, tower speakers can have due to their dimensions higher enclosure vibrations and thus parasitic sound, but how much that is audible is still a point of research.

For sure. Also ported tower systems can tend to function less effectively where woofers and/or ports are not optimally located due to limitations of a long, narrow enclosure. OTOH, larger enclosures allow for larger ports and therefore (all else equal) lower distortion/compression. I guess my original answer assumed that, in either case, things like internal bracing and woofer/port placement and design were properly taken care of.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe one point to add, tower speakers with a similar construction to a bookshelf like wall widths can have due to their dimensions higher enclosure vibrations and thus parasitic sound (unless extra care is taking with several ribs or other stiffnenings), but how much that is audible is still a point of research.
One more point to add: if the budget is limited bookshelfs with subs may deliver better final SQ than towers without subs when both configurations have similar costs.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For sure. Also ported tower systems can tend to function less effectively where woofers and/or ports are not optimally located due to limitations of a long, narrow enclosure. OTOH, larger enclosures allow for larger ports and therefore (all else equal) lower distortion/compression. I guess my original answer assumed that, in either case, things like internal bracing and woofer/port placement and design were properly taken care of.
Yes, although the effort is higher though for floorstanders and often not provided in the same price or model range.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One more point to add: if the budget is limited bookshelfs with subs may deliver better final SQ than towers without subs when both configurations have similar costs.
True, with subs you can often also avoid or fill SBIRs better, although it should be also said that floorstanders often have there less problems compared to standmounts due to the more spacionally spreaded woofers which are also closer to the floor.

tuga

Major Contributor
I would add that adequately positioned subwoofers will likely produce better bass and sub-bass than a pair of stand-alone speakers, regardless of whether they're standmounts or floorstanders.

But subs require a preamp or integrated amplifier with sub-outs.
This reduces the number available of options considerably.

There's also the question of high-passing your mains.
This also reduces the number available of options considerably as hardly any subs, or 2-channel preamps and integrated amplifiers provide this option.

tuga

Major Contributor
Towers with woofer arrays are more effective at dealing with bass and sub-bass room issues than either single-woofer towers or single-woofer standmounts.
There are exceptions like the D&D 8c or the Kii Three.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But subs require a preamp or integrated amplifier with sub-outs
And even better and even more rare (unless an AVR) an adjustable high pass filter for the "satellites" so you don't have to cross at the natural roll off and can shape the crossing flanks better.

OP
C

cathodeb

I have my sub connected right to the speaker outs on my amp. Is that not correct? I don't have a preamp. My sub has high pass on it.

ferrellms

Sound-wise, towers will play louder with more bass. But not necessarily louder and with more bass than smaller speakers with sub(s). Towers cost a lot more, are less flexible in terms of placement, are more or less unsightly, are heavy and a drag to move around. I've read that the most costly components in these speakers are the cabinet construction and luxury wood.

They do impress the listener with his eyes open. Ah yes, pride of ownership!

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I would add that adequately positioned subwoofers will likely produce better bass and sub-bass than a pair of stand-alone speakers, regardless of whether they're standmounts or floorstanders.

This reduces the number available of options considerably.

There's also the question of high-passing your mains.
This also reduces the number available of options considerably as hardly any subs, or 2-channel preamps and integrated amplifiers provide this option.

We've started curating a small list of stereo integrated amps with proper subwoofer support: https://www.sigbergaudio.no/en/blogs/news/stereo-amplifiers-with-proper-support-for-subwoofers

The list isn't very big, but there are a few very high quality alternatives out there.
Happy to add to the list if anyone know of others as well.

tuga

Major Contributor
I have my sub connected right to the speaker outs on my amp. Is that not correct? I don't have a preamp. My sub has high pass on it.

Some subwoofers provide with hi-level connections which are meant to be linked to the amplifier's speaker outs.

I think that it is preferable peformance-wise to use a line-level connection into an active sub.

tuga

Major Contributor

tuga

Major Contributor
Sound-wise, towers will play louder with more bass. But not necessarily louder and with more bass than smaller speakers with sub(s). Towers cost a lot more, are less flexible in terms of placement, are more or less unsightly, are heavy and a drag to move around. I've read that the most costly components in these speakers are the cabinet construction and luxury wood.

They do impress the listener with his eyes open. Ah yes, pride of ownership!

Subs mean more wires – ICs, speaker, power. And depending on room and furniture layout they may have to end up under the speakers (in non-dedicated rooms).

Subs + mains will likely end up being more expensive than larger mains.

tuga

Major Contributor
In what sense?

You will be adding extra electronic components and a couple of terminals per channel to the amp-speaker link, though to be fair it may not be audible.

Top Bottom