• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tower speaker recommendations under €1500

behappybevegan

get some bookshelf and a couple of 15" subs. it's gunna be awesome, but maybe not audiophile.
Agreed but Mvchies doesn't want sub(s). Let alone 15".
I believe he's looking for good floorstanders with 40hz or below.

OP
mvnchies

mvnchies

Imo an amt tweeter sounds great if a waveguide is used.

Maybe it's best to keep your eye open for a nice sale.
Just an example Elipson Prestige Facet 24F for 1320 euro.
Don't think they will ship it to Sweden for free though.

indeed! I can't find any information about these speakers but they look interesting, nice sale too. I am trying to find graphs/measurements but not finding much.

At around that price, you should be able to pick up a set of Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1/3.2/3.5

Circa 10 years old & discontinued - new they were quite a bargain in terms of value for money.

Used they are even more of a deal...

The current Anthony Gallo Strada speakers are the top end of the Reference 3.2/3.5, and the TR3 is basically the bottom end of the same speaker - reconfigured in a sub/satellite setup. (which might be a bit too expensive for you... but may have its advantages)

From the same family, used, The Reference AV were specifically designed for wall mounting - they go down to around 40Hz, and require a sub for full range - but again, the same tech and quality - may or may not suit your space/setup better.

These never sold very widely in Australia (where I am), and I came across them while walking past a showroom... what I heard as I walked past, sounded a heck of a lot like a well set up set of Electrostatics .... so I poked my head in, ended up buying the demo setup.

It replaced my all electrostatic setup, which was suffering from WAF.... and has been with me now for 10 years+

whoa those gallo speakers look a little too crazy for my liking... I'll have to do some reading though. don't think the WAF will work out and personally not a fan, too out there looking! :D thank you though.

Revel Concerta2 F36
ahh I wish, even the F35 end up over 2500 euro here... I can't find any used pairs either.

I will always recommend the Quad Electrostatics - if you have the space for them (and they do not cause WAF issues)

The vintage ESL63's - are still world class, the ESL-988 was the later version of it, and the current ESL-2812 are well nigh identical
Not a monster in the bass - what bass they have is superb - go down to around 37Hz (-6db)
The ESL 989 and current ESL2912 add bass panels so they reach further down - still not a bass heads speaker (add subs for that!) - but stunning speakers
I ran the ESL989 for circa 7 years... - go down to around 35Hz (-6db) - but there is "more" of it

Difficulty - these are very very low distortion, very high detail, and once you get used to them, it is very hard to get subs that truly match them without sounding slightly "disconnected". (some people do not notice this, for me it was a big deal, this is also why I never took to the Martin Logan Hybrid ELS's with standard woofers.... the bass never sounded like it quite matched the mids and highs - lots of people love these...)

They are not hard to drive, but will absolutely show up whatever is plugged into them - a high quality 100W amp is more than ample - Quads own stereo amps are around 140W...

Quad ESL's and a really really good, low distortion, sub; could well be the perfect system.... (for me... but WAF)
I actually heard some quad ESL many years ago, super nice sounding! but they're really hard to find here, and might be too wide for my room unfortunately.

use the money get some PA reproduced sounding speakers for maybe same amount or less . ex used cinema JBL professional .
many on ebay cheap . i wouldn't touch rubbish hi-fi speakers with touching them with a barge pole .

type in ebay , JBL cinema speakers , here is a link instead to ebay usa . https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2540003.m570.l1313&_nkw=JBL+cinema+&_sacat=0

^ look gander around ^ i can see at least dozens worth buying and you won't need any one of these rubbish hi-fi speakers laying on a floor . get some PA cinema raise them off the floor and aim the HF horn downward little and angle the horn toe-in so it beams best reproduced sound , after it has been EQ-tuned for the room and you just saved fortune or depending as some sellers overprice other honest sellers list realistic prices and look for good 100% feedback .

JBL cinema PA bass cabs good prices

full listing for classic JBL 2360A horn look for best prices for budget believe me you'll find one . if you think i'm being snobby ? i ain't . i'm a common person . rich snobs well they have no automatic common sense and would spend tens of thousands on single pair of rubbish hi-fi speakers .

anyway PA speakers output far more dynamic range than some rubbish hi-fi speakers that look like tarts wearing too much make-up at hi-fi shop .
PA speakers are often black and often not really seen at night club and certainly not at cinema where hidden being the at-screen for double blind listening .

my room is smaller than you're room . so what is you're excuse for not getting JBL professional PA reproduction speakers ?
well, no excuse but it seems like it'd be a lot of work to even get a pair over here in northern Europe... and I'm trying to simplify my setup :) I'll have to do some reading. they look a bit large though.

Davis Krypton 6.
these are absolutely beautiful! do you know if there are any measurements done on these anywhere? I can't seem to find anything. love the looks of these though, might be the most beautiful speakers I've ever seen!

Could try the Monitor Audio Silver series. Can definitely get the 300 size towers and can almost get the 500 size towers with that budget. Plenty of bass although I will concede that the Silvers I've demo'd have a bit too much port noise that clouds the bass accuracy. They provide foam plugs but that weakens the bass too much. I wish they would design a flared slot like Elac or the tractrix cone and flat slot on the Fyne's. Their new CCAM tweeter is nice though, listening to it right now on the Silver 100 7G.

actually seeing a bunch of Monitor Audio discounted here... will have to do some reading. the one pair of bookshelf I heard wasn't my thing, bit too forward sounding if I remember correctly... but not terrible.

get some bookshelf and a couple of 15" subs. it's gunna be awesome, but maybe not audiophile.

that might actually be too much bass / too deep for my preference, living in an apartment and all... :)

I wonder if I didn't make it super clear which bass level I am hoping for - I just want to be able to hear around 40hz, not necessarily hit hard and be +/- 0dB around 40Hz... there's both a lower and upper limit here, which might make it difficult...
And Europeans pay a lot more for emotiva and minidsp.
Average vat is 21%.

yep, 25% here... thankfully a lot of audio lovers in Scandinavia, so products are available... even if a bit more expensive.
Agreed but Mvchies doesn't want sub(s). Let alone 15".
I believe he's looking for good floorstanders with 40hz or below.

well, 45Hz -6dB would also be fine - but yes, trying to get a simple setup with minimal fussing and not many parts.

thank you for the help again everyone, sorry for disappearing- stupid real life got in the way!

I did some reading today and was thinking of Arendal 1961 ... they're really small which would be easy to use, and the measurements I've seen look fantastic...
they're a little more than I budgeted for, but they seem great in every way - great looks, nice horizontal dispersion, nice frequency response...
and they allow for 60 day try & buy!

unless someone has any objections... I think once I get back home in August I'll put in an order...

sorry if I didn't make everyone feel heard and for jumping on something completely different here... :D not intentional! just so much to consider... it is a little overwhelming.

delta76

Major Contributor
No worries, it's your money your choice. I'd be happier if you jump on board with me (and purchase Focal), but in the end only your happiness matters.

And, you will always wonder what if you bought a different speaker :).

OP
mvnchies

mvnchies

No worries, it's your money your choice. I'd be happier if you jump on board with me (and purchase Focal), but in the end only your happiness matters.

And, you will always wonder what if you bought a different speaker :).
LOL, yes - that last line is what I'm trying to avoid!!! I was looking at Focal too, but the size and simplicity of the Arendal is just... perfect!

Cheers!

DanielT

Major Contributor
In germany Silver 500 7G start at 1600 a pair, ....
1600 a pair?!?For that price. That performance. Hard to see any other speakers coming close.:D

Revels tower is really good but expensive.500 7G also has good sensitivity::)

Last edited:

behappybevegan

Won the Eisa.
Perfect size for an apartment.
In room bass should be enough.
Dispersion isn't super wide which in my opinion is a plus for a smaller room.
And if you don't like them send them back.
Company has a good reputation.
Good choice.

delta76

Major Contributor
LOL, yes - that last line is what I'm trying to avoid!!! I was looking at Focal too, but the size and simplicity of the Arendal is just... perfect!

Cheers!
nice. If only I know it before. was it 7g or 6g (And what's the difference?), it's not clear from the page
see. in 1 month you will be like this. you could be happy with your Arendal, but you will never stop wondering how that other speak would sound :).

behappybevegan

My mistake. It was listed as a 7g on Idealo but that site makes mistakes all the time, should have checked.

behappybevegan

If you go to France for your vacation you can pick up a pair of black Kef r5 for 1800,-
Over budget I know. For France shipping is 1 euro.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
You're in Scandinavia, so I assume B&O would be more readily available than in our part of the world...

Top of the Line B&O's have always been exellent speakers - overpriced when new, but often fantastic value used.

They tend to be undervalued by many audiophiles - but really, in terms of looks combined with performance, they are a strong contender!

15 year old models from the top of their range might well be affordable, high performance, and look stunning.

delta76

Major Contributor
You're in Scandinavia, so I assume B&O would be more readily available than in our part of the world...

Top of the Line B&O's have always been exellent speakers - overpriced when new, but often fantastic value used.

They tend to be undervalued by many audiophiles - but really, in terms of looks combined with performance, they are a strong contender!

15 year old models from the top of their range might well be affordable, high performance, and look stunning.
Not OT but which models are you referring about?
How's about Dali, saw them on used markets quite often and at very cheap prices ...

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Take a look at the Beolab Penta :

Came out in the late 1980's, was available until circa 2008(?)

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
nice. If only I know it before. was it 7g or 6g (And what's the difference?), it's not clear from the page
The 7G's I believe have a new tweeter that's better. I just listened to the Silver 100 7G and I have to say the tweeter was pretty good. Maybe not LS50 good but very good, like I wanted to listen to it more good. Not sure what woofer changes were made but the woofer on the Silvers is at least significantly better than the ones they use on the Bronzes which I thought was too flexy and soft.

fritobugger

Cheers!

I love Focal in addition to Revel. See how the pricing in on the Focal Aria 926 and 936.

Top Bottom