• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Totem Acoustics Rainmaker Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 151 68.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 66 29.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
so you're saying the Token Rainmaker does not in fact, 'make it rain'

i would guess this is more a slice into what a company did 20yrs ago with access to specific tools to make this one conform to expected standards

but rather it was tuned 'by ear' by the manufacturer
Vince used to brag about how he tuned everything by ear.

The man's definitely talented and has designed some really good speakers, but he's also got some very goofy ideas - like refusing to solder crossover components (they're crimped instead because solder would negatively affect sound quality apparently), refusing to use fill in his enclosures, and wiring everything internally with silver (because connecting a copper inductor in the crossover to gold-plated copper binding posts on one side and aluminum leads on the woofer on the other side will definitely make a difference to sound quality).

Also, as I noted in my first post, I think these speakers likely sound this way by design. We sold a ton of them when I used to work in hi-fi. They looked nicer than anything else at that budget, and they sounded great in the showroom.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
These things are nice looking, but the first clue that the designer was clueless is that sharply terminated port. I haven't seen that since the early 2000s, and then only on white van speakers.

SuicideSquid

These things are nice looking, but the first clue that the designer was clueless is that sharply terminated port. I haven't seen that since the early 2000s, and then only on white van speakers.
All totem speakers do this, including current models like the Signature One. I think it's an aesthetic decision.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All totem speakers do this, including current models like the Signature One. I think it's an aesthetic decision.
Mother Nature thinks their aesthetic is stupid if they expect that port to work well. Just saying.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks for the test and measurement Amir!:)

My guess. Totem is aware of the FR but chose not to add a resistor in the crossover to lower the tweeter's sensitivity.They wanted that rise in the higher registers.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Saw the Rainmaker Center described by Totem which would have me looking elsewhere prettry quickly....

An incredibly refined full-range center speaker that is tremendously articulate, rhythmic and dynamic excelling in micro-nuances and voicing. Conveniently sized yet affordable, it offers considerable flexibility and compatibility with most electronics and speaker systems.

The Rainmaker Center is equipped with a pair of twin, gold-plated terminals and a hard-wired, point-to-point exotic crossover that enable bi-wireability and top performance. Moderately priced, it presents the same impeccable cabinetry as higher-priced models. Elegant, slim and classic, the Rainmaker Center combines quality craftsmanship with affordability.

devopsprodude

You missed this one for sure

Yes, yes I did...but my statement is still accurate. Just now I have seen what's likely the absolute worst. LOL

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Is it called the Rainmaker because it makes you cry when you hear it?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Not sure what to think of this. They are of course their cheap stuff, and from a while back, but wonder how it translate to their actual expensive speakers. I'll have to admit, their pricy stuff like Wind or even forest did impress me greatly at trade shows, an i mean truly greatly impressed, like night and day better to my ears to similarly priced offering from Focal or from Kef and others. I am now wondering if that show room trick of bringing highs up to enhance details did work on me and I would have got bored fast or if they are really- as flawed as this suggest.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it called the Rainmaker because it makes you cry when you hear it?
Really cry when you think about how much you paid for mediocre little speakers.

Bwmr

Website and show booths are covered with pictures of models which I am sure helps with the male dominated industry they target.
Went to several audio shows, and they are definitely very "eye-catching".
Their speakers also are very "ear-catching", they usually have a small footprints and are quite light weight, and yet produced a sound that "turn heads". Now I know why, thanks Amirm.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. :)

There was this very interesting review in Stereophile: same story basically - flawed measurements but a very satisfied reviewer.

I own Totem Dreamcatchers in my cabin in the woods (well, I'll have to check this weekend how it has fared through all the storms we've had in California) and have zero complaints. I also used to own Totem Element Fires, and sold them because a friend was very insistent and made a silly offer for them.

My take is Totems are fun to listen to. Clearly not the most analytical (though I think I read somewhere that the Element Fire and Sky measure well?).

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Not sure what to think of this. They are of course their cheap stuff, and from a while back, but wonder how it translate to their actual expensive speakers. I'll have to admit, their pricy stuff like Wind or even forest did impress me greatly at trade shows, an i mean truly greatly impressed, like night and day better to my ears to similarly priced offering from Focal or from Kef and others. I am now wondering if that show room trick of bringing highs up to enhance details did work on me and I would have got bored fast or if they are really- as flawed as this suggest.
They are way to expensive. I'm pretty sure I've heard these when I was looking for speakers in the early 2000s. They couldn't compare to far cheaper Paradigm and Monitor Audio speakers I heard back then. I'm pretty sure measurements would confirm that.

SuicideSquid

They are way to expensive. I'm pretty sure I've heard these when I was looking for speakers in the early 2000s. They couldn't compare to far cheaper Paradigm and Monitor Audio speakers I heard back then. I'm pretty sure measurements would confirm that.
As with anything, it depends on what you value. If you want closest-to-flat-as-possible, these are not good value. But they're exceptionally well-constructed and finished (IMO best looking speaker in its price class by a wide margin at the time I was selling them) and lots of folks like the pumped up midbass and treble with the scooped midrange.

They're not particularly well-engineered speakers and they have obvious flaws, but they're definitely not a ripoff either.

SuicideSquid

I've owned the Forests for close to 15 years now and they're a really excellent speaker. In all the tests I've seen (and in many years of listening to them compared to the Rainmaker) they're much less-coloured/more neutral.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Which one from paradigm and monitor audio? I mean, you base a judgment on being "pretty sure" you heard them 20+ years ago, and you are "pretty sure" measurments would confirm? please.... I do own a monitor audio silver subwoofer in my setup and it does it's job. It's a good sub, not a great sub but I cross over very low, just looking for that 6o Hz down oumph, The two models I refer, I am sure, not "pretty sure" I have heard them, and I am sure the wind did not exist in the early 2000, the forest may have. And I am definitely sure they are way more hi fidelity than what Paradigm have always been doing, very generic low cost with the cheapest drivers they could find to get a semi flat response with a software generated low cost component crossover.

Top Bottom