• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Totaldac is back! This time with a ~$20k effects processor disguised as an amp...

BillG

Major Contributor
"Some of the high-end audio amplifiers' evaluations push my modus operandi into lab like mind-set, but there are a few of the amps that ignite the un-rational response while keeping my logical "processors" running happily. Totaldac Amp-1 is among this rare breed. Amp-1 can reveal and pull out all of the quark like nuances of music, but never in its disservice. Totaldac amp comes with a rare ability to fuse vibrancy and transparency without depriving any of the counterparts' essentials. A feature alone worthy of all of the high praise..."

It sounded so good it switched off part of the reviewer's brain... :facepalm:

https://www.monoandstereo.com/2020/...ONO+AND+STEREO+Ultra+High-End+Audio+Magazine)

Veri

Master Contributor
Really screams high-fidelity......

IMJWEQF.png

Reactions: Tks

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(dumb joke deleted)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Quark like nuances are one thing, but what about quantum level plankton?

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Totaldac has been created by Vincent Brient in France not far from the Mont Saint-Michel (think of it if you wish to come).

I think Vincent stole some holy water from Mont Saint-Michel to give his audio components that magic touch.

They have a Totaldac DAC:
Manufacturers like Magico, Shunyata Research, Devore Fidelity, Sound Galleries SGM/Taiko, Engström, Holton Audio Europe, Volent Labs, Soulsonic, Roon Labs, Absolare and Echole have a Totaldac DAC.

Ah yes, the "magic" word again. I'm still not impressed. Are you?

(Sorry, but the mention of "Totaldac" activates my snark genes, and I cannot help myself.)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
£19900 , that's a lot of black forest gateau ( this is how I calculated value now ) .

It's self indulgent to the point of projectile vomiting but then so is most ' High end ' audio . I mean , the customers they can be self indulgent but when the designers and manufacturers are it all gets out of hand.

I think the guy from TotalCrap was over indulged by his mother well into his adult life . That would explain all this.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Spec’d at <70dB SINAD (at least @20W).

TBH, if it performs per spec, one can hardly blame the guy. Yes, it is probably an expensive effect box, but this is not a thing you buy on-line from a virtual pop up store. At the very least it will be demoed at the dealer's place (a "helpfully guided" demo I am sure) but more probably in the customer's room as well. I would assume people paying for it know what they get. Yes, they may be a bit delusional from an objective point of view, or they can very sincerely subjectively prefer the effect as executed, whatever... But it is nowhere near as bad ethically as a thing such as the EtherRegen in my book.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Dunno about all y'all jaspers, but they had me at quark-like nuances.

Can one even have more than one nuance -- especially if quarks are involved?

:cool:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Dunno about all y'all jaspers, but they had me at quark-like nuances.

Can one even have more than one nuance -- especially if quarks are involved?

:cool:
There are 6 types of quarks known. Which doesn't seem all that nuanced to me. Protons, and neutrons have 3 quarks in them. There are more in protons, and neutrons than just quarks.

NOTE:me not physicist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom