• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

total EQ newbie with questions

strom

My setup is IMac 24-inch M1 >>Topping D90SE>>Stax SRM-323S >>Stax SR-009

I'm happy with it. But I'd like recommendations for Parametric EQ software for this setup.

radix

Major Contributor
Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
EDIT: I should mention that SoundSource only has a 10-band EQ, but you can import PEQ files under the "headphone EQ" section and they apply to anything, not just headphones.
Just use AUNBandEQ, that one goes upto 16.

Any other suggestions?
Other than the 20 or so listed in @radix's link? Seems like plenty of options. There is one missing on the macOS list though: CamillaDSP. it also works on macOS and is very flexible, though a bit harder to get working.

Zorlac

I am curious about EQ. I have never attempted this before, but I do calibrate my home theater, so why not my 2-channel "audiophile" rig? :D
So historically, I have always been in the mindset that NOTHING should touch the source file. In the Windows world, this means WASAPI must be used. EQ seems like it would totally change this mindset. Can anyone elaborate on the positives/negatives of EQ when it comes to the audio chain? Will sample rate, bit depth, etc., be maintained? What about volume? I always thought digital volume was bad and all volume must be controlled in the analog domain by a good pre-amp.

The above probably sounds stupid, but I guess I have always thought of myself as a purist and messing with the source via EQ kind of makes me twitch a little. ;)

radix

Major Contributor
I am curious about EQ. I have never attempted this before, but I do calibrate my home theater, so why not my 2-channel "audiophile" rig? :D
So historically, I have always been in the mindset that NOTHING should touch the source file. In the Windows world, this means WASAPI must be used. EQ seems like it would totally change this mindset. Can anyone elaborate on the positives/negatives of EQ when it comes to the audio chain? Will sample rate, bit depth, etc., be maintained? What about volume? I always thought digital volume was bad and all volume must be controlled in the analog domain by a good pre-amp.

The above probably sounds stupid, but I guess I have always thought of myself as a purist and messing with the source via EQ kind of makes me twitch a little. ;)

Your headphones or speakers/room transform the sound. They are not flat. They can cause very large deviations from the sound represented by the source. The goal of EQ and room treatments is to (1) remove these effects and (2) adjust the sound to a "house curve" that is generally most pleasing to a listener (or you in specific). This is done by using a calibration microphone and digital signal processing to improve the whole system response. The goal is to get what you actually hear at the very end to be what is on the source. This is why some people say first focus on speakers and room treatments/EQ as a competent amp/preamp/source is going to be very clean.

Room treatments (padding, baffles, curtains, etc.) help remove reflections that cause the room modes. If these are not practical or not sufficient, one can use "dynamic room correction" (DRC) to EQ the measured signal. This is usually done by bringing the peaks down to the troughs. One cannot boost a null (trough in the frequency response) because it is caused by reflections cancelling out, so making it louder will not help so much.

Outside of a studio (where one might want a flatter response), a regular listener usually prefers a slight bass boost and high roll-off rather than a perfectly flat FR when listening. For headphones, its different, but there exist some reference curves. These have to do with how the ears and brain perceive the sound. Real people also have a volume-dependent frequency filter, which is why some systems have a "loudness" setting that adjusts the FR depending on the volume.

Edit: I should mention that DRC is not just frequency EQ, but it also affects timing, ringing, and other aspects of the signal. It's not just frequency boost/cut.

Sokel

Master Contributor

It's the second time I post that link today but it sums all of your questions nicely:

Zorlac

This is good info! Thank you both!
I am now looking at the Sonarworks SoundID Reference app for Windows as a potential EQ to try out and use.

How are you all outputting sound from your favorite music player app? I am assuming you wont be able to use WASAPI exclusive mode in something like Foobar because exclusive mode would ignore EQ processing in the audio chain?

staticV3

Master Contributor
How are you all outputting sound from your favorite music player app? I am assuming you wont be able to use WASAPI exclusive mode in something like Foobar because exclusive mode would ignore EQ processing in the audio chain?
Wasapi Exclusive in foobar will ignore all processing that isn't part of foobar's own effects chain.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Wasapi Exclusive in foobar will ignore all processing that isn't part of foobar's own effects chain.
This.
But you can always use stuff like Mathaudio or other DSP components made for foobar which works with ASIO and WASAPI exclusive.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I'd like to add that I always use an EQ for my headphones and across the entire frequency range. But for my loudspeakers that is not always the case. For my main setup I only equalise the low-end to get rid of some room modes, because my loudspeakers (Revel M106) have a pretty good in-room response and I never felt the need. But for my desktop setup I also equalise the high frequencies (with a shelf filter) because my Adam Audio speakers have too much treble. So I would look at your situation and see what is needed and then decide what to do.

OMas

Audio Company
I’m in the same camp as Koeitje. I’m a manufacturer, reviewer, and pro audio engineer, and use linear phase EQs in all my playback chains, to voice whatever happens to be in the house at the moment. Bypassing the EQ during a review helps me to determine shortcomings and, for long term loaners, provides Goldilocks enjoyment. This is different from “room correction” software, which is a separate discussion. Also realize that practically all recorded music has been equalized during production and/or post. (The classical genre is usually an exception, but even classical has usually been edited very extensively, though not EQ’d or had dynamics processing.)

Modern software equalizers, especially higher quality ones, are not your momma’s EQ of old. I can recommend mastering EQs from PSP Audioware and MAAT. Sound quality–wise, these are head and shoulders above freeware and built–in EQs that are included in commodity player apps, if your playback chain can resolve the differences. An exception is the equalizer built into Amarra Luxe. Then again, Amarra’s SQ is superior to try–and–do–everything apps like foobar and JRiver.

OP
S

strom

I tried downloading the free TDR Nova but it didn't show up on my Mac. I would appreciate a step-by-step instruction on downloading EQ software from TDR Nova.

OMas

Audio Company
…I would appreciate a step-by-step instruction on downloading EQ software from TDR Nova.

Hey strom,

I would contact Tokyo Dawn directly. Not only are they the most knowledgeable about their own products, it also affords you an opportunity to evaluate their customer service chops.

OP
S

strom

I downloaded TDR Collector and TDR Nova. The instructions noted: "Audio plugins are meant to run inside audio plugin hosts such as Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools, Reaper, Studio One, Ableton Live, Fruity Loops, Wavelab, and many others".

So far, I can't use TDR Nova in my system. Has anyone on this forum used the freeware TDR Nova, and if so, what audio plug-in host is preferred? I have a Mac-based system. I have read than Apple MainStage might be a good option but I'm open to suggestions.

Once the audio plug-in host is installed, can I use TDR Nova in my system?

I contacted Fabien from TDR and he kept trying to steer me away from TDR Nova for some reason, and he seems to be the only contact from TDR. That's why I'm asking this forum for help.

Thanks.

Last edited:

radix

Major Contributor
I downloaded TDR Collector and TDR Nova. The instructions noted: "Audio plugins are meant to run inside audio plugin hosts such as Cubase, Logic, Pro Tools, Reaper, Studio One, Ableton Live, Fruity Loops, Wavelab, and many others".

So far, I can't use TDR Nova in my system. Has anyone on this forum used the freeware TDR Nova, and if so, what audio plug-in host is preferred? I have a Mac-based system. I have read than Apple MainStage might be a good option but I'm open to suggestions.

Once the audio plug-in host is installed, can I use TDR Nova in my system?

I contacted Fabien from TDR and he kept trying to steer me away from TDR Nova for some reason, and he seems to be the only contact from TDR. That's why I'm asking this forum for help.

Thanks.

SoundSource on the Mac will run plugins, at least the one's I've tried. Take a look at what it supports and see if that matches the TDR plugin format. For example, here it is running a tube emulator (I just had the demo version, so it shows as expired).

That said, if you just want EQ, SoundSource already has a bunch and you can put in custom EQ from a file. That's what I do for my headphones.

Screen Shot 2023-06-04 at 9.49.18 AM.png

OMas

Audio Company
Hey strom,

Plug–ins do not automatically “show up,” you need to have already installed a “plug–in host.”

For starters, do you want to go with all free software or do you have a budget? If so, what is your budget? Answering those two questions for yourself determines everything downstream. Since you have Stax stack, (and a budget DAC, sort of a mismatch) I assume you have a reasonable budget. Amarra Luxe is $99 for a perpetual license, and includes a built–in parametric EQ which is far superior, in terms of SQ, than any freebie EQs out there. Download the demo and run it on your machine to see if all is well and you like it.

If the in–built paramet is insufficient, then start with something cheap and cheerful and see if you can hear any difference. If not, stick w/what you’ve got. If the free/low end stuff doesn’t cut it, you can try the even higher quality ones I mentioned previously; PSP Neon HR is relatively inexpensive at $199, and our stuff (MAAT Labs) starts at around that price and goes up from there for supreme sound quality. Our thEQred is a linear phase EQ for aesthetic applications (what you want), and our thEQblue is a six or twelve Architecture minimum phase EQ that gives you a world of choices, maybe too many for your application. Both are used by the top shelf folks that master the music you listen to. As you have already seen, all EQs worth considering have demo modes so you can drive them around and evaluate the SQ and UX.

BTW, for what you are doing, you don’t want a “dynamic EQ.” Tokyo Dawn makes one for example. That’s a very specialized product designed for addressing problems during production.

JLGF1

and includes a built–in parametric EQ which is far superior, in terms of SQ, than any freebie EQs out there.

Just curious, since this is ASR, are there any measurements that actually confirm this far superior SQ"? Or does one rely on the velvet softness description on the web site?

Top Bottom