• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Toslink to Coax converter

Esp3n89

Hey guys. Iv got an 7-8year old Beresford Caiman Gatorized dac/amp, that lately has started failing. Through a series of test by me and my "music production and recording engineering" teacher we have narrowed the major fault down to either the wordclock circuit or the old burr brown chip itself.

Being this old it's also outdated with only 16/48 through USB... (last few years Iv only used it in toslink 24/96) And in the studio we just got an upgrade to the dac and mixing console, with the possibility of 768 and dsd512. I belive in having as little sample and bit convertion as possible in the signal chains so an upgrade is needed.
But being a student money is a bit hard to come by. Iv been thinking of either a KTB with jds atom since that also eases/simplifies upgrading later in my mind.
But preferably I would want the possibility of not just USB to my pc but also another either toslink or coax. As that would simplify the switch between DAWs and other programs using audio because of asio and wasapi exclusive modes. Iv not got a problem with plugging and unplugging the Coax cable when needed. Though would ofc be easier with a source switch at the dac

Here comes my issue. My pc only has a toslink output. Is there a good converter from toslink to coax(for the KTB) that does as little to the signal as possible and doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Or would it be better to buy a dac that already has toslink input? Has there been done any tests on toslink to coax converters Amirm?
My main issue would be that it does not introduce significantly more distortion and degrades the bitdepth to the hear able levels. Im working mostly with classical recordings and some of the music can have 70-80+db of dynamic range. That's why the atom is so tempting at the amplifier end
Tnx in advance
Espen Behrens

captain paranoia

Toslink is merely an optical version of SPDIF. All you need is a toslink receiver and a coax line driver to convert optical to electrical. No format or bit conversion is required, just the physical interface.

captain paranoia

Looks like it. That also looks similar to a cheap (<£5) DAC I have bought direct from China; have a look at places like Banggood.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
anyone tried this, maybe worth a test-review here

My dac does not accept 96k TOSLink only 48k. I have a 96k source so I tried a cheap 15USD converter to converte TOSlink to COAX SPDIF but it stopped working after some weeks.. Also the impulse response looked Jittery and strange when using it... I need something better maybe this could do it..

Top Bottom