• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Toslink Spdif to Coaxial converter?

mrfluffy

Forum Donor
Was wondering if someone could recommend a transparent good measuring spdif to coaxial converter. I know there's like 20 on amazon but was wondering if anyone had an good experience with one. I've tried about 3 of them and they're all pretty crappy. Thanks!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...mer-ultrahd-hdmi-3x1-switcher.1560/post-61147

This is from some measurements I did of a HDMI switcher which included the ability to strip out Toslink spdif. In the last post in that short thread I show the result feeding a competent DAC the optical from a good USB to Toslink converter and this cheap switcher. Even the digital feed is pretty compromised. Jitter levels are enough to raise the noise floor, modulate the floor with signal level and substantially compromise the signal. For casual non-critical use that may be okay.

I've not testing just the converters like in this thread, but would guess they have similar or maybe worse performance. The clocking and such of these devices at these prices likely isn't very good. Would be nice to test a few if anyone has a decent ADC and some on hand to test. Maybe there is a gem of a unit hidden amongst the poor ones.

MRC01

Major Contributor
The big question is whether the DAC receiving this signal can reduce or eliminate that jitter. Commonly used chips like the WM8804 can de-jitter the signal, to some extent.

Top Bottom