• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Torn Between NAD C316BEE V2 and Cambridge AXA35

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I already have the speakers, and Im finding for an amp to go with it so there is notning much I can do on the speaker side unless I sell it off which Im not planning to. From what you are saying, all the amps I mentioned above should sound the same albeit a slight difference in power which isnt true as they are not on a (high) level where they are already perfect and they both output the same perfect, nuetral and linear signal.

Now the objective side, I would love to see graphs of both before purchasing, that would tell me which one is closer 'perfection' or 'neutral'. Either one or both these amps will screw up in a crucial department or 2 on the charts, and that is what Im trying to figure out. If Amir has tested both, it would be way easier for me.

So get subs or something, those speakers are on the weak side and not particularly noteworthy in general. Different electronics will not make much difference in the bigger picture.

GimeDsp

Im just goin to act like I didnt see that comment.
LOL, are you happy with how the speakers sound? speaker position and listener position are first things to dial in.

I have my desktop set up, a full studio set up with dual subs, and home theater set up. To be honest I enjoy the my small systems for most listening. I just don't want extension down low all the time.

If you listening room has major issues and changing positioning around isn't an option then you really need DSP not a new amp.

My advice, if you haven't already, is to get a measuring mic and see what's going on. If you at HUGE peaks in the low end messing up your sound then a new speaker, sub, or amp, wont fix that. If have peak at 30 and a null/dip at 80 then getting a single sub and running it up to 80/90hz may be the answer.

UMik USB mic is really good.

OP
M

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
LOL, are you happy with how the speakers sound? speaker position and listener position are first things to dial in.

I have my desktop set up, a full studio set up with dual subs, and home theater set up. To be honest I enjoy the my small systems for most listening. I just don't want extension down low all the time.

If you listening room has major issues and changing positioning around isn't an option then you really need DSP not a new amp.

My advice, if you haven't already, is to get a measuring mic and see what's going on. If you at HUGE peaks in the low end messing up your sound then a new speaker, sub, or amp, wont fix that. If have peak at 30 and a null/dip at 80 then getting a single sub and running it up to 80/90hz may be the answer.

UMik USB mic is really good.
Im actually very happy with how the speakers sound, in fact I like it more than my OG LS50. Reason Im getting a new amp is because I now have other new speakers and relegated my amps to those. Since the Diamond 12s are my current favourite speaker, I thought of getting a new amp for them, to see if I could better the performance now.

I really have to get my room measured but it seems fine as I dont detect anything abnormal. Its a perfect rectangle room that measures 7.5 meters x 5 meters x 2.5 meters with carpets, sofa and a coffee table. Thats about all there is to it, although I have panels coming in for first reflection points and the back wall. In another room, I could detect a null or 2 (60hz and 85hz) in the lower frequencies when I do a frequency sweep but not in this room.

Last edited:
OP
M

MarkWinston

Ostrich action works well for many audiophiles....
Have you heard the Diamond 12.2? Have you ever had any experience with it? Have you seen any charts of that speaker? Saying that it is has nothing noteworthy without ever having listened to it is just typical obnoxious audiophile behaviour. I as an owner will tell you that it is notheworthy of something. Balance. That by itself is noteworthy and something many speakers dont possess, especially at this price point.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you heard the Diamond 12.2? Have you ever had any experience with it? Have you seen any charts of that speaker? Saying that it is has nothing noteworthy without ever having listened to it is just typical obnoxious audiophile behaviour. I as an owner will tell you that it is notheworthy of something. Balance. That by itself is noteworthy and something many speakers dont possess, especially at this price point.

Why would I need to? Have you any experiences with the dozens of speakers I have? Audiophiles who survive on only subjective opinions with litle experience....meh

OP
M

MarkWinston

Why would I need to? Have you any experiences with the dozens of speakers I have? Audiophiles who survive on only subjective opinions with litle experience....meh
The greater than thou attitude is flowing deep in your blood. I dont really care if you have owned 100s of speakers, I care so little I couldnt care less. And what makes you think that I or anybody else have owned less speakers than you do? If I have never owned or heard a speaker, I would never give any negative comments, in fact ANY comments on it. Having owned A B C D E speakers doesnt mean you will know how F would sound. Thats just ignorant.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The greater than thou attitude is flowing deep in your blood. I dont really care if have owned 100s of speakers, I care so little I couldnt care less. And what makes you think that I or anybody else have owned less speakers than you do? If I have never owned or heard a speaker, I would never give any negative comments, in fact ANY comments on it. Having owned A B C D E speakers doesnt mean you will know how F would sound. Thats just ignorant.

Whut? You are a weird one, but probably some sort of frustrated subjectivist?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The greater than thou attitude is flowing deep in your blood. I dont really care if have owned 100s of speakers, I care so little I couldnt care less. And what makes you think that I or anybody else have owned less speakers than you do? If I have never owned or heard a speaker, I would never give any negative comments, in fact ANY comments on it. Having owned A B C D E speakers doesnt mean you will know how F would sound. Thats just ignorant.

LOL I'm ignorant?

OP
M

MarkWinston

Whut? You are a weird one, but probably some sort of frustrated subjectivist?
Once again showing pure ignorance. Thinking that all good measuring equipments will sound good to everybody's ears. Ive come across a few equipments that measure well but didnt like it at all. And that is why subjectivity goes hand in hand with objective measurements or else Amir or Erin wouldnt put their subjective opinions in their reviews. You have clearly not heard the Diamond 12.2s and you made an ignorant comment stating that it is not worthy. Heck you most probably have not seen any charts and still decided to downplay a speaker that you have no experience with.

In my initial post I asked for an opinion on these 2 amps and graphs, which you didnt answer but continued on with your senseless babbling about bla bla bla and bla bla bla. The responses from me stops here. Have fun with your dozens of speakers which you really didnt need to buy because charts will tell you ALL you need to know on how they would sound. Have a great day.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Once again showing pure ignorance. Thinking that all good measuring equipments will sound good to everybody's ears. Ive come across a few equipments that measure well but didnt like it at all. And that is why subjectivity goes hand in hand with objective measurements or else Amir or Erin wouldnt put their subjective opinions in their reviews. You have clearly not heard the Diamond 12.2s and you made an ignorant comment stating that it is not worthy. Heck you most probably have not seen any charts and still decided to downplay a speaker that you have no experience with.

In my initial post I asked for an opinion on these 2 amps and graphs, which you didnt answer but continued on with your senseless babbling about bla bla bla and bla bla bla. The responses from me stops here. Have fun with your dozens of speakers which you really didnt need to buy because charts will tell you ALL you need to know on how they would sound. Have a great day.

Just teasing out your subjectivist thing....which is fairly typical. Good luck with that. Not meaningful to me.

dr0ss

I don’t know how much the Yamaha WXA-50 costs in your country but do check it out.
In the US the WXA-50 is in the next price band up over the amp he's looking at. It uses the ICEPOWER 125ASX2 module, and there are several threads here where users discuss the sound of 125ASX2 amp with other amps. There is also a thread on a more generic 125ASX2 amp, which has some interesting dissent:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...power-125asx2-class-d-amplifier-review.10442/

Shanman

Forum Donor
Actually, the above comments about adding a sub may hold some merit to your situation.

How about considering a sub that takes speaker level. You wouldn't even need to swap amps at all.

Last edited:
OP
M

MarkWinston

What a strange thread! Fellow asks an amp question, has his taste in speakers attacked. FWIW, Amir has now reviewed the kid brother of the original poster's Wharfedales:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...wharfedale-diamond-12-1-review-speaker.26780/
Because some people are know it alls. Good that Amir released the review of the Diamond 12s after some ignorant person stated that the the Diamond 12 is not noteworthy of anything. Meausrements show they are the best measured speaker in the price point to date, beating many pricier speakers that dont even get the basic fundementals right, tonality. That person might argue that the 12.1s have a BBC Dip but that is what many prefer and it doesnt make it less better than it is. Nothing noteworthy... pffffft.

jkasch

Forum Donor
Get the amp with the longest warranty and/or is easiest to get serviced if need be. (My HK990’s closest authorized service center was over an hour away and it was terrible. Finally had to trash it.)

dr0ss

Get the amp with the longest warranty and/or is easiest to get serviced
Even better, buy from someone local with whom you can audition it, or from a dealer to whom you can return the amp if you don't like it with your speakers. FWIW, in Australia there's a dealer (AudioTrends) who sell the Wharfedales as a package with the AXR85 receiver.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I would suggest you buy a used amp from someone.

If you have to get a new amp, the axa35 , the NAD and the Yamaha A-s301 will all be alright to drive the wharfedale speaker's.

They are not that difficult to drive like a Kef Q150 for example.

Top Bottom