• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Toppling Toppings budget crown…

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ok, I have an Topping E50 dac of which is not a disappointment but I did make a post on a YouTube video which provoked a rather interesting response which claims that there are better Dacs than the Topping range. I cannot disagree with the proclamation made but although in agreement I brought into the argument a little context ie price range and or budget.
I went on to say that I struggled to find a more suitable dac given the price range than the E50 from Topping. The E50 imo is a fair dac for the money, quite even across the board in regards to overall purpose with reasonable measurements and acceptable reproduction of sound.
I am, with all said, still left wondering if there might be an alternative to the E50 that may supersede this offering from Topping whilst remaining within a similar price range. So I pose my question to any experienced users out there whom may impart their knowledge of any other Dacs that could fit the bill..

AudiOhm

There is always something better, but if they did not list the better DAC's then don't worry.

If you are happy, that is all that matters...

Ohms

Joffy1780

I can't see how you would get any improvement sound-wise, as the E50 is basically transparent to the source already.
There are more recent DACs with more inputs/Bluetooth etc, but they aren't going to sound any different.
If you aren't already, you might want to look at PEQ or other changes such as speakers or amps, but as far as DACs go you're more or less at the limit already.

Bleib

Major Contributor
And a bit more for a smsl c200 and you'll have a headphone amp too.
I sold my smsl do100 which measures slightly better than the c200, but I can't hear any difference between them anyway.

jeffbook

Sounds like the guy who responded on YouTube is trying to induce Audiophilia Nervosa. Ridiculously low SINAD, jitter, IMD, multitone distortion, etc. on the E50, Balanced and unbalanced outputs with a minimal difference in measured performance. Three different digital inputs available.

This guy is trolling you.

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

I can't see how you would get any improvement sound-wise, as the E50 is basically transparent to the source already.
There are more recent DACs with more inputs/Bluetooth etc, but they aren't going to sound any different.
If you aren't already, you might want to look at PEQ or other changes such as speakers or amps, but as far as DACs go you're more or less at the limit already.
I would say so too. I am running a Mac Mini into the E50 and currently playing around with the limited EQ software offerings for MacOS.

Top Bottom