• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping USB Input/Windows 10 Issue - Possible Driver Issue

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why did everyone stop posting here? Did you all stop having these problems with your DAC going invisible on USB?

It happened to my D90 again yesterday, my PC came back from Hibernation and all of my external USB devices stopped showing up, not just my D90. My Windows Systray Speaker Icon was replaced by a Red X, and not the "Mute" Red X next to the Speaker icon.

My BT devices would connect after I turned on Windows BT, but no audio was heard and no connected BT devices were seen in the Speakers Systray Icon.

I recalled I had updated the Realtek device driver recently, current version 6.0.9225.1. I had been running for at least a week without incident on this version. So I uninstalled it, rebooted, and reinstalled it, then rebooted again. When I did that my FiiO M15 connected via USB showed up as did my BT devices after I enabled BT - and I was able to get audio through the M15 and BT devices, but my D90 connected via USB was still not registering in the Windows 10 OS or in the Topping Control Panel.

I recalled I had the disappearing on USB D90 situation happen once before early on in ownership, and I solved it then by going into the "boot options" - Hold down the Front Panel Select button (far left) while powered off then power on still holding the Sel button till you see the "Boot options" menu. Using the Up arrow click once to get to the end of the options - Reset to Factory Settings - then click Sel and the D90 Resets and Reboots, then my D90 was visible again via USB on my PC.

I thought that was the end of it, but a short while ago today my PC USB connected D90 went missing again - and I needed to repeat the "Reset to Factory Settings" and my D90 showed up again. My FiiO M15, BT devices, and the Windows Speaker Icon were unaffected.

I'm going to try reverting to the previous Official Realtek driver for my motherboard to see if the glitching goes away. I will update here later.

FYI, the Topping driver is version 5.20.0, and the D90 MQA firmware is 1.24. Windows 10 is current with updates.

Update: The Gigabyte support downloads for my motherboard stop at 6.0.9054.1 11/26/20, and I had a backup driver version 6.0.9144.1 already installed so I reverted to that. I installed 6.0.9144.1 on 04/01/2021, and it had been running stably for me, so hopefully no more glitches :)

Last edited:

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unplugged the power cord from the dac for a few seconds, then plugged it back in. Now W10 and Foobar recognize it, seems to work with both ASIO and Wasapi. Going to monitor closely for issues. Fingers crossed.
Shut down the computer last night and unplugged USB.

Plugged in USB this morning, booted up W10, and the device was recognized.

Also, I was wrong about buying this device in February. I actually purchased it in October 2019.
I was able to fix the problem.
Yup saw that, I wish mine was fixed that easily - or quickly :)

My problem was a combination of fixes that required reinstall/regression of the USB / Audio drivers - my Windows 10 didn't recognize other USB devices or the Realtek device, a bit of a mess - it didn't happen right away it took a few reboots / days before it showed up.

But, my D90 DAC also needed a "factory reset" - which had happened once before when it was new but hadn't happened since. The new Realtek drivers triggered it happening 2x - every since I regressed the Realtek/USB audio drivers the D90 has been stable.

And, your problem never returned? Have you updated your Windows drivers over that time? Thanks for responding :)

Top Bottom