• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping USB driver v5.45

OP
Aldoszx

Aldoszx

A new version (v5.50) here.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A new version (v5.50) here.
"Fix: USB IN buffer count was limited to 16 buffers, this lead to not enough buffers for high ASIO buffers sizes (e.g. 48kHz and 1024 samples)"

Hopefully, this will fix the issue which prevents using Topping's ASIO driver with Virtins Multi Instrument...

EDIT: Nope

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor

blues66

Hi all, I have 1 questions for you
windows 10 LTSB in use

when installing the drivers, the Topping E30 II must remain off, or on :rolleyes: what is the procedure to follow ?
and if I have to install a new driver do I have to delete the old one? , or I'll rewrite it above

Thank you

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all, I have 1 questions for you
windows 10 LTSB in use

when installing the drivers, the Topping E30 II must remain off, or on :rolleyes: what is the procedure to follow ?
and if I have to install a new driver do I have to delete the old one? , or I'll rewrite it above

Thank you

If you know enough to run LTSB, then you should know the answer to this question (or be comfortable with finding out for yourself)

dreamscene

Hey guys, just wanted a bit of clarification regarding Topping DX3 Pro+ driver install for Windows 10.

1. I installed the latest driver: 5.57.0
2. Then I updated the DX3 Pro+ Firmware to the latest version: 1.25

There is another file in the driver install folder called DSD Component AsioProxyInstall, I am not sure what this is and if I need it? Can someone clarify what this is or if I need it for playback? My playback device is a Windows 10 PC streaming music via Tidal Hifi Plan (16 Bit 44.1khz Lossless 1411kbps), basically bit perfect CD quality.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey guys, just wanted a bit of clarification regarding Topping DX3 Pro+ driver install for Windows 10.

1. I installed the latest driver: 5.57.0
2. Then I updated the DX3 Pro+ Firmware to the latest version: 1.25

There is another file in the driver install folder called DSD Component AsioProxyInstall, I am not sure what this is and if I need it? Can someone clarify what this is or if I need it for playback? My playback device is a Windows 10 PC streaming music via Tidal Hifi Plan (16 Bit 44.1khz Lossless 1411kbps), basically bit perfect CD quality.

My understanding is that you only need the DSD component if you want to play DSD files natively (in Foobar2000, etc.), so it's not required for Tidal.

Also, the Topping driver is only used if your player supports ASIO connections. For example, I can select ASIO as the output in MusicBee...

1688024841322.png

I haven't used Tidal for a couple of years, but my understanding is that the Tidal Windows application will only use WASAPI shared or exclusive output. i.e. Tidal on Windows will not use the Topping ASIO driver.

Personally, I use the DirectSound output in MusicBee as I use EqualizerAPO to provide system wide equalization for both speakers and headphones (using ASIO would bypass eAPO and talk directly to the DAC).

dreamscene

I haven't used Tidal for a couple of years, but my understanding is that the Tidal Windows application will only use WASAPI shared or exclusive output. i.e. Tidal on Windows will not use the Topping ASIO driver.

Personally, I use the DirectSound output in MusicBee as I use EqualizerAPO to provide system wide equalization for both speakers and headphones (using ASIO would bypass eAPO and talk directly to the DAC).
Thanks for the reply mate. So, trying to understand what you said, for just streaming Tidal Hi-Fi using Tidal Windows App, I don't need anything apart from the Topping Windows Driver. The ASIO driver for me is redundant and not needed correct? Only if I had music files stored on my computer and playing locally via Foobar or other music playing apps then I need ASIO driver.

Did I get it correctly?

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
The Topping driver is an ASIO driver, it's only used for ASIO. You don't need a driver to use a 'class compliant' DAC with the standard audio in Windows (DirectSound, WASAPI, etc)
Its not just an ASIO driver. Without the driver, you will not get any 44.1khz/16bit support. If you just "Plug n play" with the device, the lowest it'll go is 44.1khz/24bit. Even if you don't use ASIO and use WASAPI Exclusive to force 44.1khz/16bit, your program will error out. If your using regular DirectSound (or even WASAPI Shared), it'll play 44.1khz/16bit but its being upscaled to 44.1khz/24bit and is not a "bit-perfect" experience.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its not just an ASIO driver. Without the driver, you will not get any 44.1khz/16bit support. If you just "Plug n play" with the device, the lowest it'll go is 44.1khz/24bit. Even if you don't use ASIO and use WASAPI Exclusive to force 44.1khz/16bit, your program will error out. If your using regular DirectSound (or even WASAPI Shared), it'll play 44.1khz/16bit but its being upscaled to 44.1khz/24bit and is not a "bit-perfect" experience.

Thanks, i'd not noticed that because I set Windows to 32 bit 96000Hz and don't chase after 'bit-perfect' unicorns :)

Hehe, I just found that my Philips monitor sound device supports 'FM Radio Quality' :)

1688062891662.png

BeerBear

If your using regular DirectSound (or even WASAPI Shared), it'll play 44.1khz/16bit but its being upscaled to 44.1khz/24bit and is not a "bit-perfect" experience.
With shared modes, using 24bit is actually the only way to get a bit-perfect signal. Because Windows adds its own dither if you use 16bit. And if you lower the volume, you lose some LSBs. The latter obviously applies to ASIO too.
In short: it's better to always use 24bit or more.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
With shared modes, using 24bit is actually the only way to get a bit-perfect signal. Because Windows adds its own dither if you use 16bit. And if you lower the volume, you lose some LSBs. The latter obviously applies to ASIO too.
In short: it's better to always use 24bit or more.
I don't believe that. My understanding is that its best to set the sampling-rate/bit-depth with DS/WASAPI Shared, to the same as the content outputted by the player software because Windows will add dither and other stuff if its mismatched (Ex: Player outputting 16bit, while DS/WASAPI Shared to set to 24bit).

BeerBear

What I said is pretty easy to verify, if you're curious. You can also read the Ending the Windows Audio Quality Debate thread. We've discussed it in there too.
Increasing the bit depth doesn't change the music audio signal. Increasing the sample rate does, though, because that's a different kind of process.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't believe that. My understanding is that its best to set the sampling-rate/bit-depth with DS/WASAPI Shared, to the same as the content outputted by the player software because Windows will add dither and other stuff if its mismatched (Ex: Player outputting 16bit, while DS/WASAPI Shared to set to 24bit).

I guess that is fine if your PC is dedicated to playing CD rips, but what if your music collection includes files with higher sampling rates and bit depths or you use more than one music player, watch movies and TV on it or play games?

Top Bottom