• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping U90 (USB DDC) and HS-01 (USB filter)

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Archimago measured the HS01 and it does indeed reduce the noise floor from a noisy NUC.
Specifically the test made a ground loop with an unbalanced DAC (D10s) and used the isolator to break it. The isolator worked for the case it was intended.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Specifically the test made a ground loop with an unbalanced DAC (D10s) and used the isolator to break it. The isolator worked for the case it was intended.
Not only ground loop but entire noise floor. But yes, maybe it would not affect as much a balanced DAC and ADC.

Last edited:

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Not only ground loop but entire noise floor. But yes, maybe it would not affect as much a balanced DAC and ADC.
A ground loop may affect both the noise floor and harmonics. There is a similar test with RME audio interfaces and an Intona isolator: RME and Intona.

Last edited:

sonitus mirus

A ground loop may affect both the noise floor and harmonics. There is a similar test with RME audio interfaces and an Intona isolator: https://intona.eu/en/support/answer/1261.
The link was not working for me.

Is the Isolator compatible to RME devices?

I have been using various laptops as my source to stream music over USB that I listen to upstairs in an office and in the basement in my game lounge. In the office is an RME ADI-2 DAC FS (2018 model) and in the lounge I have a Topping D30 Pro. Both DACs use simultaneous outputs connecting the balanced outputs to an amp with the RCA output to a powered subwoofer.

Before I added a subwoofer to both rooms, I noticed that I could hear noise with the RME DAC (via RME's 1/4" Phones jack on the front) on the low-power setting when I was listening to my relatively sensitive/efficient Denon D5000 headphones. I'm talking barely perceptible noise in quiet parts of the music with the volume cranked up higher than I would typically listen to for any extended period of time; but, I could hear it.

From my research, and recommendations from RME, I purchased an Intona USB isolator. That device perfectly resolved my issue.

In the game lounge with the Topping DAC, when I added a subwoofer to the RCA outputs, immediately I was hearing a noticeable 60Hz ground loop hum. Again, the Intona resolved this issue completely. I purchased another Intona USB isolator so I did not have to drag it around with me between both locations, and I am quite satisfied with this solution.

I got the industrial versions of the Intona, so I expect them to last longer than I will be around. These devices allow for me to use practically any laptop or computer as a source, without any issues from ground loop noise.

I will say that I was surprised that my HP Windows 11 (upgraded from Windows 10) laptop is much quieter than my Apple MacBook Pro M1 with regards to ground loop noise from the power supply. The MacBook costs twice as much as the HP laptop.

Anyway, the gist of my post is that a good USB isolator can be found that should help with ground loop noise without impacting sound quality in any negative way. With these devices, it allows for anyone to use existing or otherwise inexpensive computers as a source over USB. It seems like this HS-01 would have served my purposes adequately at a much more affordable price. (this is where I imagine the song, "Mexican Shuffle" from Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, would queue up as I make my exit)

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why does it not affect a balanced DAC as much? Also I suppose if using the digital out from a topping d10b it makes no difference?

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping's own measurement. I wonder what DAC they used to get so much improvement. @JohnYang1997 ?

apos-audio-topping-usb-interface-topping-hs01-usb-2-0-high-speed-audio-isolator-34537185313004...jpg

ra990

The U90 was the only DDC I could find that would give me two toslink outputs. I want to connect to two DACs, both using toslink, from my PC's USB output. Does anyone know of any other DDC with at least two toslink outputs? Seems like the U90 is my only choice...nice job offering a distinctive feature on otherwise very similar DDCs Topping.

juliangst

The U90 was the only DDC I could find that would give me two toslink outputs. I want to connect to two DACs, both using toslink, from my PC's USB output. Does anyone know of any other DDC with at least two toslink outputs? Seems like the U90 is my only choice...nice job offering a distinctive feature on otherwise very similar DDCs Topping.
I don't think there would be any signal degredation if you'd just use a toslink splitter. Do your DACs only have toslink inputs? Using Toslink and Coaxial should be an easier solution. I don't think there are other DDCs that have two toslink outputs.

Dolor

Hey, here is something I found for you. Can’t get cheaper…get it, or I will do so…. ;0)

Is this something for you?

Atanasi

Forum Donor
The U90 was the only DDC I could find that would give me two toslink outputs.
RME Digiface and MOTU LP32 are options. The first is supported only on Windows and Mac.

Dolor

My HS-01 isn working properly. It will provide power to the e1da PD V2 but there is no sound anymore. I use headphones. I used to connect via apple usb camera+lightning from iphone to topping hs-01 to e1da PD V2.
I tryed differend usb connection as uptone usb a to usb b, original e1da cables and more.
Is there someone else who recognize the hs-01 doesn’t establish connection anymore?
I tryed many different ways in the kind I connected the hs-01.

Weeks ago it used to work normal when I first connected one time the PD V2 with the apple dongle and powered the dongle by battery. Then disconnected and reconnected with the hs-01 between powered dongle, and then powering the hs-01 before connecting to the PD V2. But this wouldn’t work anymore.

I tryed now to connected the dac first to the hs-01, then powering the hs-01 from battery, then connected to the powered dongle and Iphone.

And any different way I can imagine because I thought maybe I connected it in the wrong order…

( I know that the hs-01 isn’t needed with phone and battery power, was just to explain my problem )

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Thank you!

MetaLchesH

Hello. I own a Topping DX7s DAC and SMSL SP200 Amp. My entire system is connected to an Online UPS capable of generating a full sine wave. If I buy the Topping HS01 will it have an impact on the overall sound quality?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello. I own a Topping DX7s DAC and SMSL SP200 Amp. My entire system is connected to an Online UPS capable of generating a full sine wave. If I buy the Topping HS01 will it have an impact on the overall sound quality?
The isolator can be useful for devices not well isolated (obviously). Desktop DACs worth their money should not need it, no. Very unlikely to have a noticeable improvement :)

Last edited:

MetaLchesH

The isolator can be useful for devices not well isolated (obviously). Desktop DACs worth their money should not need it, no. Very unlikely to have a noticeable improvement :)
Thank you very much for your reply. You saved my $105 USD :)

Veri

Master Contributor
Thank you very much for your reply. You saved my $105 USD :)
Isolators are mostly used for instrumentation and measuring, FYI. Of course hobbyist can be lured into trying one but a proper DAC should absolutely work without one, and in case of (ground) noise issues, using optical toslink can prevent noise and is much cheaper than buying a high quality isolation device :)

But again. Plain USB should work fine in normal use cases.

MetaLchesH

Isolators are mostly used for instrumentation and measuring, FYI. Of course hobbyist can be lured into trying one but a proper DAC should absolutely work without one, and in case of (ground) noise issues, using optical toslink can prevent noise and is much cheaper than buying a high quality isolation device :)

But again. Plain USB should work fine in normal use cases.

I connected a cheap optical toslink cable after your reply. It sounds better than Neo Created by OYAIDE Elec. d+ USB Class B / 2.0 mt cable. I think i will end up buying and expensive toslink cable. (If i can find good one in my country).

When i connect speakers via Toslink or USB, there is no problem. But when i use sensitive IEMs i hear hissing noise. It's amp's own fault or it is not suitable for sensitive IEMs.
I managed to decrease those hissing noises using XLR female to XLR male cable or XLR to RCA cable. Still i hear noise after i set the volume knob at 14-15 o'clock. I know it's ear bleeding level. But i would prefer to not hear those hissing noises. I ordered Topping L30 amp for my IEMs after i have read Amirm's review and measurement. Maybe it can prevent hissing noise completely.

Veri

Master Contributor
I ordered Topping L30 amp for my IEMs after i have read Amirm's review and measurement. Maybe it can prevent hissing noise completely.
The most important measurement for IEMs is the 50mW one, it shows how silent the noise floor is at these low output levels.

AML

Ill just add my 2cents, and confirm that the HS01 worked for me in eliminating ground loop noises during intensive GPU gaming sessions.

My PC has an Nvidia 3090 which uses a lot of power, and when the GPU is active (during gaming) it was causing ground loop noise to go though (D90se)

It seems to be a prevalent issue with high power cards, and I found a bunch of posts on Nvidia forums and such.

I may look into getting the U90 at a later date. But I would like to see a version with more than 1 IIS connection, since its the only connection that delivers native DSD 512.

Jarrett

Any more impressions on the HS01? I'm thinking of ordering one. Ground loops aren't my problem, but I get PC electrical noise that the E30 picks up over USB. I'm using my USB ports for keyboard, mouse, wifi receiver, the E30, and in the front an external hd, sometimes a game controller, so it's a bit busy.

Top Bottom