• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping RC-22 (how to open)

vco1

So I bought the Topping RC-22 remote control, mostly because I'd like to have something more sturdy than the standard flimsy RC that Topping delivers with their products. Well, sturdy it is! Built like a tank. Quite literally.

One rather silly question. To open it - no batteries included, no easy battry compartment either - you need a screwdriver. At first look it seems a Torx screw. But even my smallest Torx is too big. Does anyone know what scremdriver and size is needed to place the battery in the RC-22?

OP
V

vco1

Like PiL once said... "this is not a love song". ;-)

One thing I figured out is that it seems it's a hex screw that holds the RC-22 together. Very convenient choice, Topping. Not! So I bought myself a set of screwdrivers that included 3 sizes of hex ones. And it turned out that even the 1.5mm one is still too big. So up next, searching for even smaller ones.

By the time I have a battery inside the RC-22 I have probably spent more money on tools to open this thing than on the remote control itself. What a total design disaster.

Katji

Major Contributor
...hmmm... I did eventually get some - some tiny ones. But I can't remember. It was for knife handles - cheeks or whatever they're called, I always forget. ...Well there's an idea - find that major knife forum and ask there - or search it.

OP
V

vco1

I managed to open it with a tiny screwdriver that I once got with a 2.5" HDD enclosure. After opening the RC the whole thing basically fell apart. No big thing, but I wouldn't call it consumer friendly. Adding the screwdriver in the box would be helpful, as it's not a regular size.

Anyway, the battery is in and I'm using it. It's way more sturdy than the regular plastic Topping RC's. But that's about it.

MadMaxx

According to an Amazon review, Topping nowerdays includes a small hex wrench with the RC-22 remote: hex screws are 1.3mm hex.
Mine was delivered today, but no tool included. I've got a set of hex screwdrivers, so it wasn't a problem. This RC-22 is noticeably better built than the original plastic remote.

MadMaxx

PXL_20230506_002255656.jpg

sleepyboy69

What is the advantage of using this remote over the RC-15A? I just broke the battery compartment on mine :(

Nonick

What about angle and accuracy of reception? Is the same as standard remote (laser guided precision required)?

HexWaves

What is the advantage of using this remote over the RC-15A? I just broke the battery compartment on mine :(
What about angle and accuracy of reception? Is the same as standard remote (laser guided precision required)?
I wouldn't only say that I've been using my RC-15A for about 3 going on 4 years and it's completely failed on me. During the time I've used the RC-15A remote with my D90, there was an infuriating number of times the remote would just conk out on me after a fresh pair of alkaline batteries. It's the worst amount of passive battery drain I have ever dealt with one of these DAC remotes, I feel like it must've been my particular unit as the SMSL variant I own never exhibited this kind of behavior before. Drove me crazy as I had to turn off my D90 in the back and power it on and hold the front button to change the damn RCA and XLR output every single time. Just got the RC-22 and the PCB looks better, the build quality is excellent, and the physical IR emitter looks beefier when I look at it with my phone's camera in comparison to the 15A. Here's to hoping that wouldn't happen to the RC-22, other than that my D90 / A90 has been nothing but good to me. Also, you do not need laser guided precision with the RC-22 haha

Top Bottom