• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping preamp

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I honestly want to understand what kind of user Topping is targeting with a two input preamp. How different is it from an A90?

Personally, I need a two-input Preamp with a display showing the level in supersize font. Input 1 (XLR) for the D90 and input 2 (RCA) for a phono pre. Then the two outputs will be for the amp (XLR) and sub (RCA). I don't need a headphone amp. This is why I feel the Topping preamp would suit my needs. But my requirements are very specific and I'm not sure if a lot of people have similar setups to warrant Topping to create this preamp.

I can actually just get a Schiit Freya S and call it a day. Superb measurements in Amir's review and similar (perhaps lower) price vs. Topping's. Plus the "full size" form factor that I want. But Schiit is nearly impossible to get in this part of the globe.
It has a remote and it's relay based volume. These two alone can completely redefine pre90 from A90. Pre90 is the preparation for the following power amps. A90 may work and it will work for quite a few people. But pre90 is very different.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What if you have a TV optical out (with associated connections, DVD, game console) and have one other input (e.g., a DAC or a music streamer)? A preamp would be perfect for this. One place to do switching and volume control. I would guess that a lot of people have this setup. Don't know many people with tuners, cds, tapes. Lots of people also with dedicated 2 channel systems and don't want surround and 5 and 7 channel receivers. For people who want to stay with 2 channel systems and want to run their TVs and associated connections through that system, most DACs with volume will not suffice. The Benchmark DAC3 is perfect for me because it basically is a preamp DAC, but I wonder how much I'm paying for those many inputs that I don't need (I only need optical).

I was looking at the Freya+ as a solution, but just can't deal with the aluminum/silver finish and I hear the remote volume implementation is not good enough to prevent one from easily going past the intended loudness. Also, I read that it gets pretty hot when in tube mode.
Yep. Pre90 has a screen and with safe volume implementation that has a very natural user logic. It also remembers volume for each input.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@restorer-john my guess is Topping wanted to maximize the enclosure tooling of the A90/D90. Not the most economical to create another enclosure that is twice as high, or twice as wide for that matter. Also, these products are targeted to the desktop/headphone crowd, hence their size. The ones who plug their D90 to loudspeaker systems (like myself) is a minority. Perhaps another driver for tiny components is majority of the target market live in smaller homes i.e. apartments and condos and not bungalows with a 2 car garage, family room and backyard. This is also why most people are into head-fi or at most, bookshelf speakers. My GenXer self thinks it would be cool to have an imaginary Topping mini compo stack, with a multi-input preamp, DAC, streamer, and Class D mono-blocks, with the D90's width and depth, coupled with bookshelf speakers.

All that being said, I personally feel that the expander makes little sense, and that a preamp with one or 2 inputs isn't for everyone.

And my general message to chi-fi manufacturers: be open to feedback and recommendation from the community. Brands that listen to customer feedback are often the most successful.
Feedback is very important. But don't forget that there are many other people. Any single individual is just one piece of the whole thing.
Also, judging products before the product launch is not feedback.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm not against all in one. But to ask anyone to accept unnecessarily large products is just plain impractical. Don't talk on the past. If your products are large it will cost loads to manufacturer and loads more to ship. And it will scare away many consumer to even consider the product.
Also mind that this doesn't mean larger product isn't possible. It will just placed differently and be used for the product that actually needs it. We need to have from small to large, with different kinds of trade offs, different features to fulfill different people's needs. A90/D90 is already a bit too large for myself. I prefer L30+E30 size or somewhere in between.

Look, you know your market. And if your market tells you it wants tiny stuff, that's fine. :)

Bear in mind the tiny Chinese stuff was just cheap fun gear at first. Disposable, low performance and not remotely serious. Now it's getting really good and necessarily bigger. Thanks to designers like yourself.

But also beware foisting form factors on customers with the justification of manufacturing and shipping costs being too high for full sized gear. All that does is immediately suggest the gear is a compromise. Serious audiophiles and HiFi hobbyists don't compromise and pay for what they want. But again, that may not be the market you are targeting, I don't know.

VeerK

It has a remote and it's relay based volume. These two alone can completely redefine pre90 from A90. Pre90 is the preparation for the following power amps. A90 may work and it will work for quite a few people. But pre90 is very different.

what is the goal you’re aiming for with the pre90? D90 to pre90 to power amp? All to fit on a desk form factor?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Look, you know your market. And if your market tells you it wants tiny stuff, that's fine. :)

Bear in mind the tiny Chinese stuff was just cheap fun gear at first. Disposable, low performance and not remotely serious. Now it's getting really good and necessarily bigger. Thanks to designers like yourself.

But also beware foisting form factors on customers with the justification of manufacturing and shipping costs being too high for full sized gear. All that does is immediately suggest the gear is a compromise. Serious audiophiles and HiFi hobbyists don't compromise and pay for what they want. But again, that may not be the market you are targeting, I don't know.
Like I said, for different products, they can be larger. Just don't be surprised when it's priced over 1000 dollars. You do know how much dealers undercut right?
BTW what do you mean full sized gear. Gear can only be smaller and bigger. Those mono blocks sheesh.
A recent personal situation update. I'm going to work with Topping for somewhat long term now. They value me very much, and the R&D has really good working atmosphere.
We are working our way to the higher price range, larger, more "serious" products with less compromises.
A side note, compromises and clever workarounds are where engineering happens. If you don't have constraints, you may just end up with a generic product that's the same as everyone else's

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
what is the goal you’re aiming for with the pre90? D90 to pre90 to power amp? All to fit on a desk form factor?
Pre90 will work in different situations. The power amp wise it's going to be larger than we initially planned. And the release date is again pushed later. Perhaps next year.... The pre90 will be released pretty soon, but can't tell when.

Last edited:

mafelba

But also beware foisting form factors on customers with the justification of manufacturing and shipping costs being too high for full sized gear. All that does is immediately suggest the gear is a compromise.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't know anyone who equates size with "compromise". I don't see many people complaining about the Buchardt A500 Bundle for $5,000 or Naim's all in one streamer DAC and amp for $5,000. If anything, these days, the smaller products have MORE allure, not less, because their small size tends to convey advanced technology. Does anyone really want a 30 lb DAC the size of a Marantz receiver? To me, big means yesterday.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't know anyone who equates size with "compromise".

When you are talking size and costs, it's all about how many you can fit in a 20ft or 40ft can. Most small volume, high dollar HiFi in the 80s through late 90s/00s came in air freight, so no containers, but the high volume, low-med value gear came in containers with 6-8 week lead times. Don't know how that has changed, except Co-Vid19 wrecking everything. ;)

I guess unless Topping have distributors and/or DCs in the bigger countries, then most of their gear goes in small quantities direct to either end users or smaller distributors/resellers, and size/weight is a serious issue for freight costs.

The world has certainly changed in terms of the distribution and sales of high fidelity gear, but substance and build quality still go hand in hand with pride of ownership and long term satisfaction. If the weight of an XLR cable pulls something off the shelf- it aint HiFi. If you can't plug a 1/4" headphone jack into a device without it skidding or moving- it aint quality HiFi. If you have to put your hand on the top to stop it moving when you plug anything in, then sadly, what you have is just a toy.

Does anyone really want a 30 lb DAC the size of a Marantz receiver?

Funny you say that. My Marantz DA-12LE (companion to the CD-12/DA-12LE pair) DAC weighs 31 lb. The transport weighs the same. Inside is a copper plated die-cast chassis with three potted toroidal transformers and unbelievable build quality. It cost AU$6,000 in 1991 and they sell for more than that today, as they are so rare. All it has needed in nearly 30 years is a few loading belts...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
When you are talking size and costs, it's all about how many you can fit in a 20ft or 40ft can. Most small volume, high dollar HiFi in the 80s through late 90s/00s came in air freight, so no containers, but the high volume, low-med value gear came in containers with 6-8 week lead times. Don't know how that has changed, except Co-Vid19 wrecking everything. ;)

I guess unless Topping have distributors and/or DCs in the bigger countries, then most of their gear goes in small quantities direct to either end users or smaller distributors/resellers, and size/weight is a serious issue for freight costs.

The world has certainly changed in terms of the distribution and sales of high fidelity gear, but substance and build quality still go hand in hand with pride of ownership and long term satisfaction. If the weight of an XLR cable pulls something off the shelf- it aint HiFi. If you can't plug a 1/4" headphone jack into a device without it skidding or moving- it aint quality HiFi. If you have to put your hand on the top to stop it moving when you plug anything in, then sadly, what you have is just a toy.

Funny you say that. My Marantz DA-12LE (companion to the CD-12/DA-12LE pair) DAC weighs 31 lb. The transport weighs the same. Inside is a copper plated die-cast chassis with three potted toroidal transformers and unbelievable build quality. It cost AU$6,000 in 1991 and they sell for more than that today, as they are so rare. All it has needed in nearly 30 years is a few loading belts...
We have many distributors across countries. But once you export to somewhere. The shipping cost is just something to worry about. And of course there is a certain amount that go straight on aliexpress. Schiit products sells twice the price in Australia while it's all the same across countries for Topping. Then you know what's going on.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The product is 222mm wide. It's just tiny. Why not just double the height and add a whole row of connectors? Call it the A-90x2. ;)

The standard for full size HiFi gear was 420-440mm. Pioneer was 420mm, Sony, Sansui were 430mm Yamaha, Denon 435mm, Akai 440mm. They could all stack together. They all had space for plenty of inputs, outputs and future expansion. Expansion went vertically when they ran out of lateral space. Witness the AVRs that were a foot tall with hundreds of connectors.

In the interests of "minimalism", you've lost the ability for flexibility and facility. Audiophiles always end up plugging more stuff together, be in now or in the future. The better the gear, the more sources you want to use with it.

It will go full circle, just like it has done several times in the last 60+ years. The very first HiFi was monoblock amplifiers, preamplifiers, and source components. Then in the 60s along came "integrated" amplifiers. Then in the 70s, integrating the tuner and pursuing high power, low THD started a receiver power/performance race. Then in the 80s, integrateds devolved into high performance pre/power combos again. Then D/A's in the preamps in the 90s. Then surround. Phew. It goes on and on.

The cycle of a pile of disparate mini separates is almost over IMO. Witness the pictures of random heaps of non-matching "desktop" stuff you see in this and other forums. It's kids' stuff. No mature audiophile with money to spend and a nice house wants things that look more at home in mom's basement. SOTA integrated and SOTA D/A equipped amplifiers/streamers with multiple inputs are going to be the space saver and money savers once again.

Imagine if Topping designed a SOTA all in one product that had styling cues from B&O and all the flexibilty of true audiophile gear? Aspirational, stylish, a decent size that doesn't look like a toy and was premium priced.

Just my 2c.

The dimensions of my listening/living room room are 29' L X 26'W Lft side ceiling is 8 ft middle of ceiling is 12.5' with vertical drop to 8' again.
A Dual 1229 runs into an APT/Holman pre which line outs to another Apt Holman Pre on the other side of the room. That has a Technics SL-M3, an OPPO 205, a Kenwood cassette deck, an Akai RTR and a NAD 4300 Tuner going into it. It feeds a TRIPLET set of NAD 2200's (one in stereo for a pair of subs running at 2 Ohms from 15Hz-80 Hz, the other 2 in bridged mono for L & R 6 Ohm Dahlquist 905's from 60Hz to 24 KHz. Headphones? For critical listening? Never. But: Wireless Sennheiser TS180 (for when I am using my hands and moving about the home). STD size stuff that keeps things looking somewhat standardized.

Last edited:

mafelba

If you have to put your hand on the top to stop it moving when you plug anything in, then sadly, what you have is just a toy.

I've never equated size or weight with sound quality, but I will agree that it is annoying to have light units move around so easily. Perhaps manufacturers could make weight an option, much like the external finish. A heavy metal plate of whatever thickness you want could be slid into a pocket and those customers who want that extra weight could pay extra for it. "I'll have a 2 lb Topping preamp with the black finish, oh, what the heck, go ahead and make it a 3 pounder" or "I hear that Schiit is making the Freya+ with a 50 lb version for those that live in earthquake zones or have more than 5 kids".

Reactions: EJ3

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
They value me very much, and the R&D has really good working atmosphere.

Congratulations. Well done Mr. Yang.
Glad they saw what we've all seen for even longer.
You're not only a clearly skilled engineer, you are one of those who actually gives a shit about getting it right.

I hope to see your 'no compromise' products (product line?) soon. Don't underestimate the willingness of people to pay what it takes to get that kind of product.

I would love to see a revival of the 'old school' integrated amp with a balance knob, tone controls, and maybe even a contour knob. Wishful thinking, I know, but if it came from your bench it would be kick-ass.

Anyway, Cheers on the permanent job situation.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never equated size or weight with sound quality, but I will agree that it is annoying to have light units move around so easily. Perhaps manufacturers could make weight an option, much like the external finish. A heavy metal plate of whatever thickness you want could be slid into a pocket and those customers who want that extra weight could pay extra for it. "I'll have a 2 lb Topping preamp with the black finish, oh, what the heck, go ahead and make it a 3 pounder" or "I hear that Schiit is making the Freya+ with a 50 lb version for those that live in earthquake zones or have more than 5 kids".

When you attach (any, not just decent ones) cables, they tilt up, slide to the back of what they are on & sometimes fall off of what they are on. This kills any WAF that you may have worked hard to convince your partner it's OK. Attaching double sided thick sticky tape or Velcro also kills the WAF.
These type of products are useless to me because they are unacceptable in the living/listening room (unless I can find a suitable, basically invisible way to hold them in place). It's bad enough to get the wires organized in such a way to be acceptable. Now they came up with a way to make the equipment itself unacceptable, by having it tilt like a hydraulic suspension car with its front in the air and it a** dragging the ground.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
When you attach (any, not just decent ones) cables, they tilt up, slide to the back of what they are on & sometimes fall off of what they are on. This kills any WAF that you may have worked hard to convince your partner it's OK. Attaching double sided thick sticky tape or Velcro also kills the WAF.
These type of products are useless to me because they are unacceptable in the living/listening room (unless I can find a suitable, basically invisible way to hold them in place). It's bad enough to get the wires organized in such a way to be acceptable. Now they came up with a way to make the equipment itself unacceptable, by having it tilt like a hydraulic suspension car with its front in the air and it a** dragging the ground.
Nonsense.

Top Bottom