• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping preamp

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
实际上HIEND用户需要多路XLR输出以实现BI-AMP玩法。而3甚至4输入 完全没必要
这种多路输出直接分线器就行了为啥要前级?需要单独去做的是多个输出去选择。

AnLaoJin

这种多路输出直接分线器就行了为啥要前级?需要单独去做的是多个输出去选择。
XLR/RCA输出1分2转换头是否会影响输出阻抗? 并且据我所知 并没有高质量的XLR1分2转换头吧

ririt

It was already asked at least 2 times in this thread without any answer..another trial... when the preamp 90 will be available?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It was already asked at least 2 times in this thread without any answer..another trial... when the preamp 90 will be available?
It's not even announced yet. So no ETA.

Kmac

I had a discussion with Topping about HT bypass about a month ago, and while it is too late to include it in the first version of the preamp (as pre-development is complete), they will look at including HT bypass in the 2nd version of the preamp. Topping sees the value of this important feature.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I had a discussion with Topping about HT bypass about a month ago, and while it is too late to include it in the first version of the preamp (as pre-development is complete), they will look at including HT bypass in the 2nd version of the preamp. Topping sees the value of this important feature.
Isn't HT bypass just setting the preamp to 0dB? Or is there more to it?

Vasr

Major Contributor

Depends on what else the pre-amp is doing. In summary yes, it becomes a straight pass through of input to output bypassing any and all volume/gain control, crossovers, switching functionality as may be available on the pre-amp. As to whether it is implemented by bypassing the circuits themselves for cleanest passthrough or with all the involved circuits doing a no-op, I would have no idea.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it is. But some people are lazy or just afraid to leave the volume maximized for HT, then switch the input and forgot that music was playing and volume 100%, music blasts through the speakers! It's an easy "convenience" solution to enable HT bypass (max volume) for an input and the other inputs have it disabled using the volume set to a normal listening volume.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@JohnYang1997
Not sure where to ask this John, but any plans for a multichannel dsp pre/dac? Something like a minidsp 2x10hd?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pre90 has an optional extender.
Pre90 itself has the same IO as A90 on the back. 1 XLR + 1 RCA for both inputs and outputs.
Extender has extra 4 pairs of XLR inputs and 1 rca input. No extra outputs.
It has cut down A90 NFCA circuitry but still much more powerful than majority of headphone amps. But it's a preamp.
Relay switching volume control for best distortion and great separation.
Has a screen. Has a remote. Has safe volume.
Low noise, Low distortion as usual.
Reduced single ended ground related issue possibilities.

quote John >>Pre90 may actually sound like a product that doesn't need to exist. But other than the people who really like relay switching volume control. It's for the preparation of the higher end mono block power amps.

@JohnYang1997 >>>> Just to resume above possible configuration of the Pre90

That's exactly what I'm looking for to enhance my D90 at present, as I'm not a fan of passive attenuator any more ("lifeless" IMO)
and change eventually later my Mono-blocks.
Looking forward to follow Topping development :p
Please keep us updated :cool:

cheungtsw

I would prefer a D90 with one analog input than a pre90.

If you have a good DAC, all your devices should connect to the DAC digitally and the DAC connects to the power amp or int. amp via xlr.

My personal preference is actually D90 (dac only) + headphone amp,

QMuse

Major Contributor
Subs should have low pass by themselves. If not, get a different sub...

IMO market harldy needs another "classic" stereo preamp as it doesn't need another "classic" stereo DAC. What is missing on the market, at least in my opinion, is a product that would have some features of modern AV processor/preamps, but built with better specs and of course without Dolby/DTS decoders.

Here is list of features that I would like to see in such device:

- analog and digital inputs, including USB audio input
- 4, 6 or 8 channel DAC, to support stereo pre-out and 2 subs or stereo pre-out and 4 subs or 2 stereo preouts (to allow bi-amping) and 4 subs
- crossover capability to allow high-pass for stereo pre-outs for mains and low-pass for subs. It should be possible to configure delay to allow for smooth sub integration
- digital volume control

Following options would be nice to have:

- optional BT/WiFi module to accept audio from phones
- optional module to run FIR/IIR filters
- optional streamer module (say with Volumio to include UPnP/DLNA renderer functionality, Roon endpoint functionality, Tidal, Qobuz, ..)

Top Bottom