• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 setup mode.

alitomr1979

You have to turn off using the switch in the back of the unit.

I was close to sending this back using even trying it because Inwas unable to enter setup mode and because the remote control seems to work only from a single point in MLP, which BTW is exactly in front of the unit. It is crazy that a relatively expensive piece of gear has in this day and age such a terrible remote.

I haven’t heard a note coming out of the pre90 preamp but since this was frustrating to me and couldn’t find anything explaining it I thought about sharing the info here.

OP
A

alitomr1979

I am glad I didn’t send it back before listening to it because this things is quite crazy.

I was using the Cambridge CXA81 as preamp until the Pre90 arrive, with my recently acquired SMSL M400 DAC and Peachtree Amp500, and now with the Pre90 it’s like different speakers. I don’t even know how to describe it… everything is so relaxed and effortless. The soundstage and imaging is way bigger, and there is so much detail it’s almost exhausting. Sounds are floating and it’s like the speakers are not there.

I can’t stop listening to this thing. I don’t have ANY doubt this is the biggest change/upgrade I’ve heard from A single component. Truly amazing.

OP
A

alitomr1979

That's what I read in the skimpy manual.
Hey Kal,

The manual doesn’t specifically say you have to use the button in the back to turn it off. The remote turns off the unit… and also the button in front, the one they call “multifunction switch”.

To enter setup you need to have the device turned off by the switch in the back side. Then while pressing the “multifunction switch/button” in the front turn the unit on with the button that’s on the back.

If it wasn’t because I’m blown away by the thing like I haven’t been in awhile or probably as I have ever been with a single upgrade to a system, I would send it back.

How did they develop such a fantastic sounding equipment and pair it with such a terrible remote control performance?? I would love to talk about that with the engineering team… I know and have experienced extensively the constraints thatWe live in in such settings/jobs, but man, what a disconnect between qualities in the same small device!!!

Even the box looks luxurious. High end. They got that right. The remote was an after thought. Maybe they made the Pre90 as a desktop preamp for headphones?

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, remote sucks, but simple, cheap learning remote makes things better (stronger signal)

DHT 845

1639766000048.png

OP
A

alitomr1979

I was going to ask what you meant by learning remote. Can you provide a link?

DHT 845

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
To enter setup you need to have the device turned off by the switch in the back side. Then while pressing the “multifunction switch/button” in the front turn the unit on with the button that’s on the back.
Yup. The other operations just put it in stand-by. Remember, if you can turn it on with the remote, it really isn't off.

Top Bottom