• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I would like to know if using this pre 90 of the topping I would be able to have more gain....................................
Yes, you can use the Pre90 to add up to 16dB with XLR in/out.
..........................to be able to drive even more powerful speakers than those I currently have.
This will permit you to play your present speakers louder (within the limits of your power amp). what it does with other speakers will depend on their sensitivity.
What is the input sensitivity of your amp and your present speakers?

DIEGO

Yes, you can use the Pre90 to add up to 16dB with XLR in/out.

This will permit you to play your present speakers louder (within the limits of your power amp). what it does with other speakers will depend on their sensitivity.
What is the input sensitivity of your amp and your present speakers?
Thanks for the reply. I would like to know if, compared to the signal of the preamp integrated to the DAC that I am using now (of which I attach the technical specifications) the pre 90 would give a greater power to the power amp.
HTB1TO1eeWSs3KVjSZPiq6AsiVXaD.jpg

JohnnyNG

My power amp......
Depends on how you have the gain on the amp set. As Amir noted in this review, "As you see you can get to 8 volts while maintaining the full performance of the preamp. There is more gain left if you want to drive an amplifier like Benchmark AHB2 in low gain or Purifi without its input buffer."

JohnnyNG

None of those specs inform on this.
This is the important part from the Audiophonics site:

"To suit all uses, we have opted for 3 gain settings, selectable by jumper on the interface card :

• Gain of +7.2dB, i.e. a total of 20dB - Maximum power reached with a signal of -4.2V RMS.
  • Gain of +12.5dB, i.e. a total of 25.3dB (default) - Maximum power reached with a signal of -2.25V RMS.
  • Bypass: In this case, the signal passes directly from the inputs to the modules, allowing the lowest possible gain of 12.8dB. This mode can be interesting when using a strong preamplifier, capable of driving a 2 to 4K Ohm load and reaching a voltage of -10V RMS."

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
This is the important part from the Audiophonics site:

"To suit all uses, we have opted for 3 gain settings, selectable by jumper on the interface card :

• Gain of +7.2dB, i.e. a total of 20dB - Maximum power reached with a signal of -4.2V RMS.
  • Gain of +12.5dB, i.e. a total of 25.3dB (default) - Maximum power reached with a signal of -2.25V RMS.
  • Bypass: In this case, the signal passes directly from the inputs to the modules, allowing the lowest possible gain of 12.8dB. This mode can be interesting when using a strong preamplifier, capable of driving a 2 to 4K Ohm load and reaching a voltage of -10V RMS."
Great. So, with the first two settings, DIEGO should not be having any problems attributable to the output of his DAC.

Carl1000

Hello, as new owner of one Pre90 I have one question, Does it change the sound with burn in?. I find the sound when new a bit anemic, when inserting it between other devices sound is very transparent-clear and soundstage very wide and deep, but mids and upper low frequencies are reduced, instruments gain detail but lose body and weight. I will appreciate your findings.

kolestonin

I can't believe remote control functionality seems to be the deal breaker for me.
Which makes me considering more expensive solutions like Gustard P26(+50euros) or Schiit Freya s(+200euros).
And I really don't get it.
You make a device that measures so well and you fail the remote control?

And off course I understand the necessity for cost cutting.
But I am surprised that in 2022 a basic decent remote control can be a significant rising cost factor.
I might be wrong though cause I am ignorant about electronics and my opinion is based on the fact that remote controls are such a common and widely used piece of equipment for the last 40 years.

Last edited:

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mine working fine here, it does what it should do.

Certainly not the smoothest of remotes, but I bought mine for the sound quality.

I worked with a guy once who was upset because the remote for his CD player had no 'eject disc' button.
As I said to him, but you have to go to the player to change the CD disc anyway.

kolestonin

Extreme noob question maybe but if you don't ask you will never know.

I have an e30 DAC and a power amp.
I will enter a pre90 in the chain.
My understanding is that E30 has to be in dac mode as all the volume control will be done by the preamp.
I also think I need to set windows sound at 100%.

What I need to know is if foobar, VLC or any other player I use need also to be set and forget at max volume levels.
And use only the pre amp for controlling the volume so to not reduce dynamic range and SINAD.

My interpretation of using analogue instead of digital volume control is the above.

Is it correct?

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Extreme noob question maybe but if you don't ask you will never know.

I have an e30 DAC and a power amp.
I will enter a pre90 in the chain.
My understanding is that E30 has to be in dac mode as all the volume control will be done by the preamp.
I also think I need to set windows sound at 100%.

What I need to know is if foobar, VLC or any other player I use need also to be set and forget at max volume levels.
And use only the pre amp for controlling the volume so to not reduce dynamic range and SINAD.

My interpretation of using analogue instead of digital volume control is the above.

Is it correct?
Yes, all correct. I set my Foobar2000 volume to 100% although it could be set lower in which case you would be using Foobar's digital control; (Foobar bypasses Windows volume I believe). However at least at volumes I use, difference between analogue, (via my preamp which isn't the Topping), and digital isn't imperceptible.

The Pre90's volume control is analogue as you are assuming.

drewdawg999

Got mine today, early Christmas present, nabbed for $479 Used-Like new from Aoshida off Amazon. Using it all afternoon I can say I love everything about it so far. Built solid and I like the feel of the buttons and volume knob. Very high quality piece.

DAC sounds better with volume cranked up. Using with a March P502 via XLR, and RCA out to sub. Turntable hooked up to RCA in sounds great, never heard vinyl so quiet in my system before. I switched between analogue and digital all day and enjoyed both equally.

20221030_143359.jpg

Also not having any problems with the remote control, works as it should for me. Sound quality is head and shoulders above my old tube preamp, a Rogue Metis. Just no noise or distortion at all, so clean. Now I have all ASR approved components in my system in DAC, pre and amp. Sounds pretty great and I'm pretty damn happy.

Last edited:

JohnnyNG

I switched between analogue and digital all day and enjoyed both equally.
I find the per-input volume memory very handy since the volume setting required for my phono stage is quite a bit higher than for my DAC. I can't find any operational (I don't use the remote) or sound quality faults with this pre.

Rekurbetator

Why? Pre90 is a more advanced pre-amp. A90 is a head-amp with basic pre-amp functionalities.
I'm sorry for my stupid questions, I'm audio noob and I just started my adventure.
I have topping A90 and topping D90 and I use only headphones, no have speakers.
Then can I connect PRE90 to the chain?
And one more question. It is sense to buy topping P50 to these devices?
thanks

Veri

Master Contributor
@Rekurbetator Do you need Pre90 for your speakers though? And no P50 is not compatible your devices have an on-board power supply you see.

Rekurbetator

Thanks for your reply, I'm totally green and I understand that my questions must be so irritaring. I don't have speakers. I have only headphones Sennheiser HD650, topping A90 and D90.
I'm just wondering if I can add PRE90 to this chain or PRE90 is for the speaker amp only.

Top Bottom