• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
thanks; thought i made something wrong …
There is no wrong since the setting is dependent on external factors. The only concern is if you run out of gain or if you are forced to use dozens of dBs of attenuation.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you have the D90SE on the 4V or 5V setting?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That may be why your perceived volume levels are lower than expected.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
so you say i can/should choose 5V? ... i really didn´t know what to select when i initially set this unit up ...
IINM your initial issue was the lack of volume compared to other sources? Using the 5V setting will obviously output more voltage, hence more power available to your amp/speakers. Of course one has to be sure it will not clip the input of the pre.

fuzzychaos

Hi all. Would the pre90 make a good preamp for the Buchardt A500’s? Other options I am looking at is the Schiit Freya S. Thanks!

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi all. Would the pre90 make a good preamp for the Buchardt A500’s? Other options I am looking at is the Schiit Freya S. Thanks!
Either one should be fine. Quote direct from Buchardt A500's product web page.
" They can be used wired with any preamp or streamer of your choice"
If by the off chance you experience some difficulties (which I doubt) contact them directly.

JensenW

The more important thing to consider is perhaps the matching of the Pre90 with your source due to the low input impedance of the Pre90.

fuzzychaos

Thanks for the input. I need to look into the subject of impedance matching. Any good resources that you recommend?

ameerm

I want to use this preamp as an rca to xlr converter. To achieve unity gain in my use case should the gain setting be at 0db or -6db?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I want to use this preamp as an rca to xlr converter. To achieve unity gain in my use case should the gain setting be at 0db or -6db?
If you set it up as XLR-Out only, set it at 0dB. If you set it for RCA+XLR-Out, set it at -6dB.

jazzvinyl2020

I’m about to pull the trigger on a Pre90. My setup is as follows: Macbook (Audirvana) > RME ADI 2FS Pro - 2x Ncore400 mono blocks.

Currently I use ADC for my vinyl source. Would the Pre90 improve anything in this setup?

amper42

Major Contributor
I’m about to pull the trigger on a Pre90. My setup is as follows: Macbook (Audirvana) > RME ADI 2FS Pro - 2x Ncore400 mono blocks.

Currently I use ADC for my vinyl source. Would the Pre90 improve anything in this setup?

I have almost the same setup as you outline and found adding the Pre90 in the chain actually sounded worse to my ears. I use MacBook Pro->Audirvana-> RME ADI-2 -> NC500MP -> BMR Monitors. Adding the Pre90 did not offer any benefit. I ended up not using the Pre90.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You'd lose EQ on your turntable output, which would be a shame. I have an adi black edition in a similar set up to you and wouldn't go back to a more traditional preamp set up unless I had 2 analogue sources.

jazzvinyl2020

I’ll probably just stick to my RME then. Was just thinking to go pure analog when listening to vinyl through the Pre90. But I guess I’ll just save the money for more music :)

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a problem with denafrips ares ii? Would like to test it.

Yes, Denafrips Ares II has rather high output impedance for a DAC and Pre90 has rather low input impedance for a preamp. End result will be higher distortion from the Denafrips and level attenuation. To me a preamp should allow you drive more difficult loads (like say a Purifi amp with no input buffer) but the Pre90 doesn't really do that because it is a somewhat difficult load itself.

Michael

Top Bottom