• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

jesburger

I apologize if this was asked before, but can this unit convert RCA input to XLR output?

poopy

Could someone confirm the following.

Suppose that the pre90 is on with the saved settings and then I take the plug out of the wall socket for a while. When putting the plug back in, would the pre90 be on and with the same saved settings?

mocenigo

Major Contributor

Suppose that the pre90 is on with the saved settings and then I take the plug out of the wall socket for a while. When putting the plug back in, would the pre90 be on and with the same saved settings?

I went on a 3 day trip and the Pre90 was connected to a power distributor - that i however disconnected from the wall socket. When I turned everything on, the Pre90 turned on with the saved settings.

poopy

When I turned everything on, the Pre90 turned on with the saved settings.
So you plugged in the power distributor and the pre90 lighted up without touching anything on the remote or buttons on the front panel (but the switch on the back of the pre90 was in the 'on' position)? Am I understanding properly?

Dgob

Yes, from my experience also

marcom22

I dont really know if buy the Pre90 or A90d like preamp .......... give me a suggestions ... thanks

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I dont really know if buy the Pre90 or A90d like preamp .......... give me a suggestions ... thanks

If you already have a headamp buy the Pre90, otherwise the A90 (or the A90 discrete) seems a more meaningful choice.

Last edited:

poopy

You may put your purchase on hold. I wouldn't be surprised if Topping releases an updated/improved Pre90 (and also D90) sometime this year.

JohnnyNG

Yes I use it the same way. RCA in from my phono to XLR out to my speaker amplifier and RCA out to my subwoofer amplifier
The per-input volume memory is also quite useful in this case given such different output levels between my phono (RCA) and DAC (XLR). I find it a very nicely engineered device.

kolestonin

Planing to add a 2nd subwoofer to my Topping Pre90
Current sub is connected with a pair of RCA cables

shall I buy 2 RCA splitters and another pair of RCA?
or
go with 2 single RCA to double RCA cables?

Are there any differences/advantages between the above solutions?

Nordling

Planing to add a 2nd subwoofer to my Topping Pre90
Current sub is connected with a pair of RCA cables

shall I buy 2 RCA splitters and another pair of RCA?
or
go with 2 single RCA to double RCA cables?

Are there any differences/advantages between the above solutions?
With 2 subwoofers you mean 1 connected to the left and 1 connected to the right channel right? So you connect the left sub to the Left RCA output, and the right sub to the Right RCA output. No need for RCA splitters or am I missing something?

kolestonin

Now my sub is connected:
1 RCA to right output of my Pre90 ending in 1 RCA to right input of my sub
1 RCA to left output of my Pre90 ending in 1 RCA to the left input of my sub

I think my options for adding a 2nd sub are the below:

a) two 1 RCA to 2 RCA cables
1 RCA to left output of my Pre90 ending in 2 RCA to the inputs of my left sub
1 RCA to right output of my Pre90 ending in 2 RCA to the inputs of my right sub

b) two 2 RCA to 2 RCA cables
1 RCA to left output of my Pre90 and one 'floating' ending in 2 RCA to the inputs of my left sub
1 RCA to right output of my Pre90 and one 'floating' ending in 2 RCA to the inputs of my right sub

c) two 2 RCA to 2 RCA cables + 2 RCA splitters
put left splitter's single RCA to left output of my Pre90 and 2 RCA to the splitter ending in 2 RCA to the inputs of my left sub
put right splitter's single RCA to right output of my Pre90 and 2 RCA to the splitter ending in 2 RCA to the inputs of my right sub

all 3 options should work but I was wondering if there is a preferred one or if it is strictly a matter of personal choice

*see attached photo for type of splitter

1678315507436.png

Last edited:

mocenigo

Major Contributor
So you plugged in the power distributor and the pre90 lighted up without touching anything on the remote or buttons on the front panel (but the switch on the back of the pre90 was in the 'on' position)? Am I understanding properly?

Ah, no, it was powered off as well, and I had to turn it on. I misunderstood your query, now I realise you wanted to know what happens when the power returns after a power interruption. I do not know, and I am not sure I want to simulate the event :)

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Now my sub is connected:
1 RCA to right output of my Pre90 ending in 1 RCA to right input of my sub
1 RCA to left output of my Pre90 ending in 1 RCA to the left input of my sub

I think my options for adding a 2nd sub are the below:

a) two 1 RCA to 2 RCA cables
1 RCA to left output of my Pre90 ending in 2 RCA to the inputs of my left sub
1 RCA to right output of my Pre90 ending in 2 RCA to the inputs of my right sub

b) two 2 RCA to 2 RCA cables
1 RCA to left output of my Pre90 and one 'floating' ending in 2 RCA to the inputs of my left sub
1 RCA to right output of my Pre90 and one 'floating' ending in 2 RCA to the inputs of my right sub

c) two 2 RCA to 2 RCA cables + 2 RCA splitters
put left splitter's single RCA to left output of my Pre90 and 2 RCA to the splitter ending in 2 RCA to the inputs of my left sub
put right splitter's single RCA to right output of my Pre90 and 2 RCA to the splitter ending in 2 RCA to the inputs of my right sub

all 3 options should work but I was wondering if there is a preferred one or if it is strictly a matter of personal choice

*see attached photo for type of splitter

View attachment 270339

Either splitters and both connected to both channels, I guess your option c), or one sub per channel - in the latter case usually you do not have to connect both cables to the sub, most can be configured to get their inputs from one input only (or they can sense whether one of the inputs is connected)

poopy

Ah, no, it was powered off as well, and I had to turn it on. I misunderstood your query, now I realise you wanted to know what happens when the power returns after a power interruption. I do not know, and I am not sure I want to simulate the event :)
No need to simulate, it's been confirmed above that it will turn on with the saved settings. Won't be trusting blindly though, double checking the settings before use is crucial.

Top Bottom