• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

bungle

My fantasy is that Topping repurposes the EXT multipin connector to allow the daisy-chaining of multiple Pre90s. I know that is not possible with the current hardware.
For daisy chaining you would need two multipin connectors per unit?

nagster

When the Ext multi-connector hub(?) is released, it may be possible to make a star connection like LAN.
Or Y para cable or T type branch terminal
However, I don't think the volume control signal is flowing through the current Pre90 multi-connector...

-Matt-

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Only if you are a good marksman.
I really dislike infrared remotes and try to eliminate them whenever possible. This is why I asked about a serial port via the usb (RS232 or ethernet would also be ok). I like to have my electronics in a cabinet, out of view, and send control commands from a pc running a webserver with remote control gui (accesible via my phone browser).

Obviously, for future versions of the Pre90 it would be nice to have such an interface. (With two-way comms so that you can poll the current volume etc).

Digi

Can I pair this Topping Pre90 preamplifier with a Parasound A21+ amplifier? Are there any issues that I need to be concerned of? Voltage, etc?

poopy

I am using Pre90 / Ext90.
My hope is the next version (Pre90m?), With multiple syncs (input selection and volume) and the addition of master / slave selection capabilities. More versatile.

At the same time, if possible, if you can improve the following,,,
Remote control aim is too difficult
Remote control input direct selection
Volume knob instability / jump (similar to RME ADI2)

Is it possible to assign a specific gain to each input of the Ext90 and save the settings?
Then with the remote control, it suffices to select the input and adjust the volume?

With a 5.1 or 5.2 for multichannel audio/HT, still need to buy 3 combos Pre/Ext90. This means 3 remote controls, selection of the sources, for each etc… Looks less a hassle to use 3 passive switchers with a knob for selection of the source and get all the amps with matching gain.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Is it possible to assign a specific gain to each input of the Ext90 and save the settings?
Yup.
Looks less a hassle to use 3 passive switchers with a knob for selection of the source and get all the amps with matching gain.
Exactly what I do.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Making the connection with your previous comments, does that mean that your Pre90s are placed between your Coleman and your amps?
Yes.
What do they bring if the gain is set to 0?
Even at 0dB, they are better at driving the amps via the 25' interconnects than are the DACs that precede the switch. Of course, they also offer the option of gain adjustment, up or down, as needed.

poopy

Even at 0dB, they are better at driving the amps via the 25' interconnects than are the DACs that precede the switch.
What do you mean by 'better'?

It's not clear at all for me why, in the situation in which your sources have low impedance output and your amp high impedance inputs, introducing a Pre90 with gain 0 after your source switcher would be 'better'? Assuming that we only consider 2 channels (hence 1 single Pre90) and assuming that you do all the volume setting from the sources (for example your sources are a DAC or AV pre processor).

Of course, they also offer the option of gain adjustment, up or down, as needed.
Certainly, if you need to adjust gain I understand why you would introduce the Pre90 in your setup.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It's not clear at all for me why, in the situation in which your sources have low impedance output and your amp high impedance inputs, introducing a Pre90 with gain 0 after your source switcher would be 'better'? Assuming that we only consider 2 channels (hence 1 single Pre90) and assuming that you do all the volume setting from the sources (for example your sources are a DAC or AV pre processor).

I have no measurements to support my claim and any reasons I might give would be only inferential. However, I have found consistently that the insertion of a good preamp at the output of my particular DACs or source switcher improves the bass weight and clarity. This observation encompasses the use of several very different preamps. I had been planning on building a unity-gain buffer/line-driver for this application but my DIY days are long past and the Pre90(s) made for an appealing alternative.
Certainly, if you need to adjust gain I understand why you would introduce the Pre90 in your setup.
That was my original motivation which led to the observations described above.

Digi

There is no HINT P6. It's HINT6 for the integrated-amp and HALO P6 for the pre-amp. The HALO P6 is more comparable to the Pre90, not the HINT6.

JC 2 is not a better comparison for Pre90+Ext90. The Parasound "NewClassic 200 Pre" pre-amp is more comparable to Pre90+Ext90 at almost the same price point.

BTW I have no affiliation to Parasound. I just happen to own Parasound integrated-amp and power amps hence I know the models. And for that matter I also own several Topping DACs. And in my earlier post (#711) I expressed interest on the Pre90 (to use in my 4th system) if not for the form factor.
Hi, I ordered a Parasound A21+ amplifier and P6 pre-amplifier but after reading on other forums where other folks having issues with their P6 accentuating in volume just like that out of the blue, my concern is damaging my speakers. Do you think it is a good move to use a Topping Pre90 with my A21+? Any advantages or disadvantages to this Pre90 preamplifier? Thanks in advance..

poopy

I have no measurements to support my claim and any reasons I might give would be only inferential. However, I have found consistently that the insertion of a good preamp at the output of my particular DACs or source switcher improves the bass weight and clarity. This observation encompasses the use of several very different preamps. I had been planning on building a unity-gain buffer/line-driver for this application but my DIY days are long past and the Pre90(s) made for an appealing alternative.

In case you own 3 Pre90 with their extensions Ext90, was the aforementioned improvement enhanced when connecting your sources directly to the Pre90s? (With 3 Pre90+Ext90 you can do at least 5.1 with 3 different sources). Was the improvement maximal when the preamps are close to the amps?

pma

Major Contributor

That was my original motivation which led to the observations described above.

I first had the same experience 20 years ago and built and published some observations on this topic. Take or leave.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
In case you own 3 Pre90 with their extensions Ext90, was the aforementioned improvement enhanced when connecting your sources directly to the Pre90s? (With 3 Pre90+Ext90 you can do at least 5.1 with 3 different sources).
I have 3 Pre90s but only one has an Ext90 attached to it. For switching, I prefer to use a Coleman 7.1SW which accepts 4 multichannel balanced sources, each with up to 8 channels. It is much more efficient and convenient than input switching with the Pre90s. The single Ext90 lets me insert a few stereo sources, if needed.
I first had the same experience 20 years ago and built and published some observations on this topic. Take or leave.
Just the thing that I had been considering a while back. (I still have a few of the BUF634s somewhere.)

essence

A single remote can control the volume of two units (not sure if this is standard but I did send an email to ask for it) but you weren't kidding when you said you had to be a marksman, I am using them in a desktop nearfield with the remote < 1m from the pre90 and still struggle sometimes to get commands to register...

meibdk

Something I can’t find on the PRE90 is how it acts during power outage.
In my setup I use a power sequencer which is triggered by my DAC.
… when I put the DAC into standby, the power is cut from all devices attached to the power sequencer.

When power is cut from the PRE90 and power comes back, will it 1) start in standby or 2) turn fully on, ready for use?

poopy

A single remote can control the volume of two units (not sure if this is standard but I did send an email to ask for it) but you weren't kidding when you said you had to be a marksman, I am using them in a desktop nearfield with the remote < 1m from the pre90 and still struggle sometimes to get commands to register...
What remote control do you use?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
What remote control do you use?
Topping RC-16A the one that comes bundled with the unit.
Yeah. I tried that and it sorta worked but, even from about 1m, the failures were too common to allow it to be useful.

Top Bottom