• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TOPPING PA7

0rangutan

Did anyone receive any new information about the PA7? I'd like to :)
I've been looking over the internet from time to time since january but, alas, I don't find anything new...
They are probably still trying to work out why the PA5 fails so frequently ;)

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I hope they’ll find what went wrong.
If the PA7 will be a more powerful and reliable PA5 I might consider it over a Hypex NC252.
I realistically won’t need more than 80W for bookshelves at a max distance of 3 meters.

anphex

Forum Donor
I hope they’ll find what went wrong.
If the PA7 will be a more powerful and reliable PA5 I might consider it over a Hypex NC252.
I realistically won’t need more than 80W for bookshelves at a max distance of 3 meters.
Unless you don't need bass boost or loudness and the speakers aren't super low sensivity - yes.

My PA5 for one still works fine. What is weird is that everytime I turn it off, like cutting it completely from electricity via a trigger plug it sends a burst of pink noise to my rear speakers at moderate volume. It's not annoying when you know it will happen but it's still super weird.

anphex

Forum Donor
Here a video of that sound in my setup if anyone is curious. Am I the only one having this?

OP

192kbps

I‘m also waiting for some news on this.
They unexpectedly released the LA90 Discrete but I still didn’t hear anything about the PA7
One day in April, I am sure.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Better they not rush it for release, do some quality assurance first.. I'm tired of beta products reaching the market.

juliangst

Do we know what caused the malfunction of the PA5? Was it heat or too high voltage?

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
Do we know what caused the malfunction of the PA5? Was it heat or too high volage?
It was never shared. Topping only said that their test units were fine after 1 months of continous running. It seems problems were all over places.

Not a good indicator of reliability engineering

b7676

Is it probable that TI had to be involved in investigating the failures. Pa7 will surely still be TPA3255 based?

delta76

Major Contributor
Is it probable that TI had to be involved in investigating the failures. Pa7 will surely still be TPA3255 based?
Why? TPA3255 is extremely popular and in other popular amps there is no such high rate of failures. It is clear something was wrong with PA5 design or manufacturing, and as I said above, it is not just one problem. We will likely never know

Sokel

Master Contributor
If I was Topping I would release an amp of 100-105 SINAD and a video that would show it working in an oven and in the Arctic driving difficult 3-ways the same time someone bangs it with a hammer.
That would be some good way or re-establishing trust when it comes to their amps.

OP

192kbps

If I was Topping I would release an amp of 100-105 SINAD and a video that would show it working in an oven and in the Arctic driving difficult 3-ways the same time someone bangs it with a hammer.
That would be some good way or re-establishing trust when it comes to their amps.
I once suggested that they use the CE E4 standard like Benchmark Media, but they didn't agree. However, I think we should all have a lot of tolerance for TOPPING, haha.

delta76

Major Contributor
Has been the case for the last couple of years. :rolleyes:

Shame that they did not focus on other factors (but SINAD) that make an actually good product...
it's very common in Chinese manufacturers - keep releasing new products with some new features, same bugs/quirks and dropping support for previous versions
my other hobby is 3d printing, and if you look into it, Creality, arguably the most popular 3d printers maker, released a dozens new models every year, and never bothers to fix issues in their most popular model - Ender 3. It's just their business strategy

I find that video very disturbing to watch...

OP

192kbps

Attachments

• 372f8fa5c842bd5a.png
    372f8fa5c842bd5a.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 172
  • -e7302270f4173f7.jpg
    -e7302270f4173f7.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 179

staticV3

Master Contributor
According to those numbers, the PA7 Plus will be 6% louder at 4Ω and 2% louder at 8Ω than the regular PA7.
In both cases, you get less than 1dB more volume with the Plus.

juliangst

I hope the Plus will offer more than just extra power. I would really like to see a build-in PSU

Top Bottom