• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA7 Plus Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 15 4.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 37 9.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 149 39.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 172 46.1%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi, guys! How to connect subwoofer Dali C-8 to the pa7?
Not possible.

The C-8D has only Line input:
woo_Dali_74521-1.jpg

What device do you have plugged into the PA7's Line input? A DAC? AVR?
Which model?

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
RCA normally outputs 2v max, splitting further will cause it to drop around 1v.
PA7 can use around 1.9v on RCA input for optimal gain.
I thought this is surely undesirable, am I mistaken?

staticV3

Master Contributor
RCA normally outputs 2v max, splitting further will cause it to drop around 1v.
I thought this is surely undesirable, am I mistaken?
Splitting RCA doesn't cause the voltage to drop.

Decreasing the damping factor causes the voltage to drop.

Most Line connections have such good damping factor that even if you connect multiple Amps to one Line out in parallel, the output voltage is barely affected.

You need to worry about poor impedance bridging only if your Line out device is poorly designed with 1000+Ω output impedance, you want to connect challenging loads like an unbuffered Purifi Amp, or you want to split one Line out to, like, four or more Amps at the same time.

In the majority of cases, splitters do not cause any issues.

3dcnc

I have the Topping PA7 plus unit - Happy . I use the XLR inputs from main DAC.

Google : XLR connections often carry a higher voltage signal then RCA connections, up to 4 volts against typically the 2 volts on an RCA connection.

Question: The RCA imput on PA7 , seems "weaker" than normal RCA ( volume low) . Is it better to use XLR to RCA cable from another DAC (4 volts) , or is it designed for RCA to RCA ( 2 volts) ?

Thinking of buying this cable to connect DAC XLR to PA7 plus (RCA)

Attachments

• Screenshot_38.jpg
    Screenshot_38.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 22

3dcnc

I have had plenty of D Amps. I have noticed that most D amps seem to need a 1 -2 day burn in to sound right ( to my ears). This is subjective I know.
Its almost like the chips need to "loosen up" . When I first listened to PA7 , I thought it was "broken". I already have the PA5. I am really happy with the PA7 plus at the moment. It took 1- 2 days of continuous play. it seems to still be improving.

D Amps I have owned. Temple audio, Fosi, Topping, Project audio, SMSL

Some D amps increase in volume over first 8 hours. Start the amp at 100% volume. 8 hours later - 50%?

Not sure if anyone has come across this? i always wondered if the "review" copies were "burned in " before being sent out for review.

Last edited:

Vladetz

I have had plenty of D Amps. I have noticed that most D amps seem to need a 1 -2 day burn in to sound right ( to my ears). This is subjective I know.
Its almost like the chips need to "loosen up" . When I first listened to PA7 , I thought it was "broken". I already have the PA5. I am really happy with the PA7 plus at the moment. It took 1- 2 days of continuous play. it seems to still be improving.

D Amps I have owned. Temple audio, Fosi, Topping, Project audio, SMSL

Some D amps increase in volume over first 8 hours. Start the amp at 100% volume. 8 hours later - 50%?

Not sure if anyone has come across this? i always wondered if the "review" copies were "burned in " before being sent out for review.
It is just your perception and adaption

Top Bottom