• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Trokox

Me encantaría ver esto también revisado. Duplica el precio, pero también duplica la potencia.
[URL unfurl = "true"] https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/747

maty

Major Contributor
You know, I have a modded and tweaked KEF Q100 loudspeakers in my second and cheap audio system (with PC as source, Win 10 very optimized to play multimedia). True sensitivity is 85 dB. Minimum impedance 3.9 Ohms. Nearfield.

80 dBSPL continuous is very high volume at home. I listen to very good recordings with high DR, 15 dB or more -> I want 95 dBSPL peak at 3 meters.

Topping PA has enough watts. Sound quality with acoustic recordings? I do not know, but the power is not a problem. 100 watts at THD 0.1% (-60 dB).

SPL-KEF-Q100.png

With 80 watts -> 97.5 dBSPL

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really appreciate what Topping has been releasing as DACs and amps for some time.

We are far from their old Tripath TP20 and TP60 ... etc.

But, I am disappointed that Topping is hiding the technology behind it from us.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I really appreciate what Topping has been releasing as DACs and amps for some time.

I agree. They should publish every trade secret they have and declare all the knowhow they have been accumulating.

:facepalm:

F1308

Major Contributor

Are you aware Universities are teaching their graduates reciprocating & jet engine technologies that were, at the latest, used along WW2 ?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So what would be the applicable standard?
None. Low level interconnects between units from the same amplifier is not something that requires regulation. They do not affect consumers and as they are interconnects of devices from the same manufacturer they do not require industry wide ad-hoc standard either.

As far as I know there have never been a low voltage DC supply standard until USB arrived.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Are you aware Universities are teaching their graduates reciprocating & jet engine technologies that were, at the latest, used along WW2 ?

Yes I knew that and so what's your point?

boXem

Major Contributor
Audio Company
None. Low level interconnects between units from the same amplifier is not something that requires regulation. They do not affect consumers and as they are interconnects from the same manufacturer they do not require industry wide ad-hoc standard either.
It's above 20V, so the low voltage directive applies. I can't believe this case would not be covered by a standard.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's above 20V, so the low voltage directive applies. I can't believe this case would not be covered by a standard.
Where do you get that 20V value?

Triliza

Forum Donor
I agree. They should publish every trade secret they have and declare all the knowhow they have been accumulating.

:facepalm:
It can be done, up to a point obviously, Harman did it with their research and look where it got them, not bad at all. Obviously it was a strategic move from them or something they couldn't avoid, imagine though if they hadn't release all that wealth of knowledge. And who knows what they are still hiding in there...

Nango

Major Contributor
From the low voltage directive. There is a good reason why all laptops are supplied by 19.5 V DC.
The notebook connectors is japanese EIJA Requieremnt, this is a totally different story, dont mix things. Those are limited volt wise and current wise, no way they will deliver from such a connector 152W like the Topping Amp does.

Nango

Major Contributor
None. Low level interconnects between units from the same amplifier is not something that requires regulation. They do not affect consumers and as they are interconnects of devices from the same manufacturer they do not require industry wide ad-hoc standard either.

As far as I know there have never been a low voltage DC supply standard until USB arrived.
Not true. European Low Voltage Directive dated 2006. EIAJ guidelines for low power connectors do exist since the 90's. EIAJ = notebooks etc, no idea why someone put this into this thread.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From the low voltage directive. There is a good reason why all laptops are supplied by 19.5 V DC.
i thought US NEC defined PELV at less than 49VDC. In UK it is 120VDC

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It's called a trade secret aka "intellectual property", don't know many companies in the world that'll openly put out their IP after not earning a modicum of return.

F1308

Major Contributor
Yes I knew that and so what's your point?
No one, but a couple of great good boys, is revealing their technology as it is precisely the very reason of their existence.
Or if they do, it will be based on copyrights.

PD: I sometimes show my songs in a forum regarding Roland and Yamaha keyboards, without asking anything at all, just to have fun with other people I even never heard of, but this is another storytelling...

Last edited:
Top Bottom