• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Though I am probably not addressed, let me reply. NOTHING.
There is a sad thing with this forum. Though it might have been supposed to teach members of critical thinking and deeper knowledge, it only creates new cults, new fetish. Not very different from adoration of expensive highend products, having the same basis.
So you do not care about the very large price difference!

Triliza

Forum Donor
The reason I am a bit glad about this amp is not about its performance, frankly I don't understand half of what you guys are discussing here and I'm not in need of an amp right now. I have high hopes though that we maybe will see the history repeat itself as to what happened with dacs. I don't know when and how it happened, but it's super nice to be able to buy a balanced dac for $300 and to know that you get top performance and don't have to look further. It's a problem solved (or so I hear).

If the same happens with amps in a couple of years and we can get one for our stereo system for $500 and call it a day, I'd be more than happy. There are alot of people that for whatever reasons are not willing to (or simply cannot) spend tons of money on this hobby, it's nice that we can buy SOTA electronic products on a reasonable price. Peoples expectations are high atm (can be totally unrealistic or not), and expectations can help things moving forward.

F1308

Major Contributor
Certainly not power (quite an interesting thing for an amplifier. Just sayin').
Certainly not this (meh) THD vs Frequency.

Dejà vu... Yet, this the very first time, after three (full) years of membership, that I would 100% agree.:(

At this point, Amir could almost post only SINAD charts and call his reviews done. I have the feeling that only very few of us are still trying to have a bigger picture over the complete

48w should be enough even for 82db sensitivity speakers listened at 20' position. Here is the SPL calculator from JBL if interested.

Lovely.

Also...

PeteL

Major Contributor
48w should be enough even for 82db sensitivity speakers listened at 20' position. Here is the SPL calculator from JBL if interested.
This calculator is flawed, but what input did you use for headroom and desired SPL to get that? Really you should use "desired SPL is the Bass region based on sensitivity in the bass region" which is commonly not something we automatically know of a speaker. For desired headroom, you should put at the very least 15 dB, not the 3 dB that is default, if you want to listen to music and not speach, and more like 20 dB if you want to listen to movies.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you do not care about the very large price difference!
He obviously does. But that's not the point.

This is an exceptional amp for the price (it is) ≠ this is the best amp of all time (it's not).

That was a question from BoXem responding to someone supposing that @Bruno Putzeys should be worried. He shouldn't.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Even going purely by sinad, pa5 is not the best amp of all time... I don't really recall seeing anyone say pa5 is the best amp money can buy.

Spending an extra $2700 for first place is totally absurd to me though.

shal

Ok,
I listen to 4meter , my main speakers are 93db , I want to listen to 100db (90db average + 10db of dynamic).
I want 6db of headroom for the amplifier.

So I need 319W amplifier according the calculator.

That what you means ?
Or just a calculator without knowledge about parameters is useless ?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He obviously does. But that's not the point.

This is an exceptional amp for the price (it is) ≠ this is the best amp of all time (it's not).

That was a question from BoXem responding to someone supposing that @Bruno Putzeys should be worried. He shouldn't.
It all depends how you define “best”. If we say it is the best amplifier of all time in value for money as measured at ASR and I think most will agree. Just remove the multiple qualifiers and you are left with the best amplifier :)

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 2-pin plug into the amp isn't compliant with IEC 60320 standard.
That standard is for 250VAC mains connector. The 2-pin connector is for low voltage DC, hence outside that standard. I’m surprised that as a person who know your standards you missed that crucial difference.
Seriously? Someone is suggesting putting a receptacle intended for wall power in the PA5? That is a directly invitation for someone to find a power cord and plug it directly to a wall socket, with likely highly undesirable result :facepalm:

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I do recall reading someone saying this was kind of an historical event. Not that far from this actual page.
Historical, maybe. In terms of value and performance? I could see someone saying that. Best of all time? Not really and I don't really see anyone claim this. Or you can judge an entire forum by the post of 1 person, if that one person actually said such things.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok,
I listen to 4meter , my main speakers are 93db , I want to listen to 100db (90db average + 10db of dynamic).

That what you means ?
You will be deaf pretty soon if you do that.

Last edited:

Nango

Major Contributor
That standard is for 250VAC mains connector. The 2-pin connector is for low voltage DC, hence outside that standard. I’m surprised that as a person who know your standards you missed that crucial difference.
IEC 60320 applies to every appliance below 250V.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Ok,

That what you means ?
Why do you want headroom other than for dynamics? 10 dB is on the low side for peaks.

F1308

Major Contributor
Even going purely by sinad, pa5 is not the best amp of all time... I don't really recall seeing anyone say pa5 is the best amp money can buy.

Spending an extra $2700 for first place is totally absurd to me though.
Moreover if you are listening your own keyboard while playing and those loudspeakers are barely 0.9-1.2 meters away.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If we say it is the best amplifier of all time in value for money as measured at ASR and I think most will agree.
I would begg to differ with this statement as well. Best performing integrated amp at 350€? Yep. All day.

Absolute best value for money is still no doubt AIYIMA A07. I bought one 36,96€ shipped during AliExpress deals (54,70€ total with PSU).

Remlab

Forum Donor
I'd love to see this reviewed also. Double the price, but also double the power..

shal

Why do you want headroom other than for dynamics? 10 dB is on the low side for peaks.
That's the point.
I have no idea how calibrate rights parameters in the calculator.
So this calculator is useless for me .

What is the level ? with or without music dynamic ? Ok , so 90db(for the max)+20db of dynamic.
The calculator says that 3db of amplifier headroom is the minimal.
So with this input : 1600 Watts minimum .

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IEC 60320 applies to every appliance below 250V.
Do please read the standard. It is for mains connections.

lEC 60320 sets the general requirements for appliance couplers for two poles and two poles with earth contact and for the connection of electrical devices for household and similar onto the mains supply.

Mains is short for main energy supplied by the electrical utility company. In this case the mains is connected to the external PSU.

Top Bottom