• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Firespeed

@Firespeed so the Node was with the Hegel and not the PA5?

Just trying to make sure it’s Apples -> Apples

This is a very pertinent reflection!

Originally, the Node worked on the Hegel via the digital coaxial connection.

Once the Hegel was sold, the Node worked on the E50, still via the coaxial connection.

And then finally, now it's volumio via USB on the E50.

Step by step and thanks to ASR, I simplify and improve the whole thing by recovering money from my past "idiot-phile" mistakes (especially valid for the Hegel)...

;)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Laserjock,

Speakers = JMR Folia Jubile (technical description PDF embedded here)

The sub is connected through E50's RCA output.

Hello Rottmannash,

Yes, exactly ! It's much better ! Amir has tested both connection type :
Also, i never used the onboard DAC on the Node 2i because it has been tested by amir....: "[...] Resulting SINAD though (signal over noise and distortion) is not great at just 88 dB. This is well short of the dynamic range of the CD so the statement that the unit supports high-resolution, 24-bit playback is moot [...] " (link).

You're right but my old ASUS Laptop costed me nothing, has a battery and offers me the same services : Spotify connect, stream my own library stored on my NAS and provide me access to all the internet radios) without depending on a proprietary brand (Volumio OS is linux based, Debian).

;)
I agree USB will more than likely result in a better signal vs S/PDIF/coax. I run the Node 2i>D90 SE>Schitt Freya+ and it sounds great. Once I did hook up my laptop to the D90 SE>Freya+ and it did sound different but it wasn't level matched so was difficulty to compare as I didn't have a quick method to switch back and forth. By all accounts it shouldn't sound different if using an outboard DAC but...

delta76

Major Contributor
Perhaps Topping will stop releasing new models every few months and focus more on reliability testing
$2 bet it will not happen. they will continue releasing new models as if nothing has happened. sure, they might have learned a lesson or two, and might have made improvements internally, but they for sure will not change their "business model"

Bleib

Major Contributor
$2 bet it will not happen. they will continue releasing new models as if nothing has happened. sure, they might have learned a lesson or two, and might have made improvements internally, but they for sure will not change their "business model"
PA7 should give a hint if any lessons have been learnt

Bleib

Major Contributor
I love Topping products and own a few. I am waiting for PA5 monoblock version without volume. They release plenty of models but sadly lack any pure power amps versions to fit their pre 90.
I think it's more likely PA7 will allow monoblock mode.

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Sorry if this has been cover here, but I need to know if using an RCA OUT (of the dac) TO A XLR IN to the PA5 cable adapter will effect the sound and volume. and if so is it a different voltage getting through … I am thinking of using 2 to bi amp my linkwitz minI speakers through the dsp
thank you

delta76

Major Contributor
Sorry if this has been cover here, but I need to know if using an RCA OUT (of the dac) TO A XLR IN to the PA5 cable adapter will effect the sound and volume. and if so is it a different voltage getting through … I am thinking of using 2 to bi amp my linkwitz minI speakers through the dsp
thank you
No. You add a bit of noise (a few worse dB in SINAD) but I doubt you can hear it, at all

gamerpaddy

i tried swapping the second-stage NE5532's with another pair of OPA1216 like in the first stage of the D-01 Module thanks to user rsqt which sent me some.
and added some 0.1u caps to it, and a 100uF at the power input pins.
but its allready at such a high level it cant hear a difference at all.

IMG_20230309_155222.jpg

I made a blind test, Listen for yourself, im am using this track for testing:

i recorded at the output terminals with speakers attached for some load using a Hi/Lo level converter (resistive divider) with isolation transformers inside ( actually just a cheap car hifi thingy for 10 bucks ) going into a Zoom H4n Pro recorder at 1% gain and adjusted volume at the amp so max peaks are at -6dB.
dac used is a d10 balanced.
afterwards i normalized all files to have the same gain.

its 3 files, one with original NE5532, one with OPA1612, one is the original FLAC (converted to WAV so you cant see which one it is.)
A B and C, randomized.
Can you pick which one is which?

Results:
A = OPA1612 B = original flac C = ne5532

Last edited:

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Any updates on a successor or a MK2 version? Looking at the sinad/price value the PA5 is by far the best power amp still.
I am looking for some amps for turning a passive speaker into active but I need about 3 affordable stereo amps and this is mostly only possible with the PA5 or similar.

0rangutan

Any updates on a successor or a MK2 version? Looking at the sinad/price value the PA5 is by far the best power amp still.
I am looking for some amps for turning a passive speaker into active but I need about 3 affordable stereo amps and this is mostly only possible with the PA5 or similar.
Some talk about the expected PA7, but I haven't seen anything official yet.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MAB

Major Contributor
I need four way DSP and those max out at 3 :(
I would get two of these (for example), $75 each:
8 Channels of amplification for $150 total, this isn't the only example. Lots of gear can be had for way less than the PA5, and may break way less often. On the above sale, looks like the seller will throw in a Yamaha DSP-1 which would be way more interesting device than the Schiit Syn - an uninteresting reintroduction of the Hafler cross-fed effect box:facepalm:.

I like Niles (I did home-install on hundreds of these, I drove a pair of Apogee Acoustics Scintillas with 2-channels of Niles zone amp... Store manager got my point that we only had three amps in the store that could drive these odd speakers...). The amps are dead silent, stable to really low impedances, unbreakable, and well-reviewed on ASR.
$125 for 12-channels, free shipping.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I need four way DSP and those max out at 3 :(
Could MiniDSP Flex 8 help there? There are DSP processors and with far more chenels but not measured hire only sometimes mentioned so I won't talk about those as I don't really know their capability/performance.

Hatto

I bet the replacement would be called P70 (instead of PA7) for both detachment from PA5 trauma and maintain consistency with the new matching line up E70 & L70.

MAB

Major Contributor
Could MiniDSP Flex 8 help there? There are DSP processors and with far more chenels but not measured hire only sometimes mentioned so I won't talk about those as I don't really know their capability/performance.
Yes, a Flex Eight would work great.
Get a Niles multi-channel amp like I posted above, or something fancier...

Top Bottom