• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Holmz

Major Contributor
Take those with a pinch of salt. That 300W figure is at 10% distortion, and the heatsinking isn't sufficient to maintain anywhere near that level. @pma found it hit thermal protection within a few minutes at 50W output.

I think 10W RMS is pretty loud.
And I am not intending using it for on subwoofer duties.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not up to date on the currency exchange rate and shipping expenses from France to the USA but it has to approach the expense of a VTV or a Buckeye Amps unit. (?) :D Shipping from France is not included. I checked at the web page.

For 2 channel Hypex MP amps Audiophonics has always been a bit cheaper than VTV and Buckeye, even when considering shipping to the US. With current dollar / euro parity this is even more true.

Audiophonics NC122MP: $374 shipped
Buckeye NC122MP: Not offered

Audiophonics NC252MP: $457 shipped
Buckeye NC252MP: $549 (Ghent case) or $579 (Buckeye case) shipped

Audiophonics NC502MP: $693 shipped
Buckeye NC502MP: $749 shipped

IMO the Audiophonics NC252MP is the sweet spot, good power output, low noise / distortion, reliable and reasonably priced.

Michael

iLoveCats

Why? Just stop p#ssing around and buy some proper HiFi. Get a decent Yamaha integrated with an onboard D/A and spare yourself a few decades of replacements.
What do you recommend? I value your posts. I'm willing to put up to $1500 into it.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you recommend? I value your posts. I'm willing to put up to $1500 into it.

With that budget, may as well go separate. Yamaha's integrated such as the A-S700 had good measurements and don't use "AVR chips" for volume control, unlike the A-S701 and S801. External DACs are cheap so unless you must have a one box solution, it is a better solution than those fitted in the low cost integrated amps such as Yamaha's but that's just my opinion.

A Topping preamp and a buckeye amp, Hypex or Purifi rated >200 W 8 ohms, 300 W 4 ohms should give you great audio specs.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
... because there seems to be a design flaw with the PA5. When they work - and many do - they are great. Some fail (loss of one channel) and it's a PITA to get them fixed. Ratio of failing units is unclear but many users here are concerned.

Key issue is Topping's silence on the root cause and whether new units are still affected or not. Until we know that the problem is solved it's a risk.
It's a nice amp, it's your choice
@TOPPING-Service
Geting that kind of performance at that price would be amazing, but I'll be doing 12 hour mixing sessions and will need the amp to survive that day after day.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@iLoveCats , I didn't realize Topping has increased the price so the following will exceed your budget by $100:

Topping preamp with extender: $849
Buckeye amp NC502MP: $749

Total: $1,598

Or $599+$549 = $1,148 if you don't need the preamp extender and are fine with the NC252MP that is still good for 150/250 W 8/4 ohms at 1% THD+N.

anli

From what I am aware of the AIYAMA A-07 has been chugging away doing it's duty while the Topping breaking down stuff has made nothing short of enemies. Topping with it's breaking down models is causing issues with my usual model choices when asked for recommendations. It's a pain in the butt. :D
I understand you. Have decided to try both (on the way).

iLoveCats

Or $599+$549 = $1,148 if you don't need the preamp extender and are fine with the NC252MP that is still good for 150/250 W 8/4 ohms at 1% THD+N.
That topping pre amp is fantastic and I keep forgetting about Buckeye. Thanks.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Geting that kind of performance at that price would be amazing, but I'll be doing 12 hour mixing sessions and will need the amp to survive that day after day.
Yamaha - whatever works with your budget - fit and forget

anli

Hi!

Does anybody use (and/or has measured) PA5 with linear regulated PSU with output, say, 32V 3A? What is you opinion/result?

Want to understand reasons to order - or not! - such PSU. Speakers in use are rather sensitive - 96 dB.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi!

Does anybody use (and/or has measured) PA5 with linear regulated PSU with output, say, 32V 3A? What is you opinion/result?

Want to understand reasons to order - or not! - such PSU. Speakers in use are rather sensitive - 96 dB.
Why on earth would you do that when it already has inaudible noise with the stock PSU? Even if it hadn't been demonstrated here over and over again that the PSU in a not broken audio electronic design makes no difference.

I've not listened with a linear PSU, but I can tell you the result right now: No difference.

anli

Why on earth would you do that when it already has inaudible noise with the stock PSU? Even if it hadn't been demonstrated here over and over again that the PSU in a not broken audio electronic design makes no difference.

I've not listened with a linear PSU, but I can tell you the result right now: No difference.
I have assumed heating reducing also.

MAB

Major Contributor
I have assumed heating reducing also.
Uh… How about batteries? Three car batteries in series should be perfect!;)
Since I am unsure of what you wish to accomplish I thought I would make an even more absurd recommendation!:facepalm:

anli

Uh… How about batteries? Three car batteries in series should be perfect!;)
Since I am unsure of what you wish to accomplish I thought I would make an even more absurd recommendation!:facepalm:
I wasn't aware it is difficult to notice I say about reducing PSU voltage to 32V.

MAB

Major Contributor
Sorry, I was joking. I really think you should avoid PSU rolling, and enjoy the music with this little amp. It sounds great, and I really don’t understand why you want to change PSU type and voltage. At least the three RV batteries keeps the supply near the stock voltage!
In any case, I really recommend to not fuss with this amp’s supply and enjoy listening to music.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't aware it is difficult to notice I say about reducing PSU voltage to 32V.
Guessing you are wanting to minimise the chances of failure. But guessing the cause of the failure as being heat related is not going to be particularly useful.

Most likely the failures are manufacturing defect, design defect or component defect. If yours has a defect in, then playing around with the PSU is unlikely to help.

Top Bottom