• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned class D amp lwith digital EQ built that had 2x 300W (8 Ohm) 2x 600W (4 Ohm), digital inputs AES/EBU
It had subjectively more power (slam) than PA5 and bigger sounstage depth (but slightly narrower than PA5). Nevetheless I returned to class A. That is my choice, it is like a drug addiction. I lost my belief that I could accept class D, but I am wide open to new experiences...
Targetted at pro/stage use. Like crown. If like crown, they tend not to measure that well, since stage use is rarely needing the ultimate in fidelity.

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Targetted at pro/stage use. Like crown. If like crown, they tend not to measure that well, since stage use is rarely needing the ultimate in fidelity.
It is better that crown (I compared)... crown sounded grey in comparison to LG (high thd probably, and flatter sound), in LG there is no unnecessary D/A conversion like in Lyngdorf Millenium amp.
I know LG is used in some studios not only stage use.

Sokel

Master Contributor
No idea about the power of PA5 but my 20W class A amp sound 3x more powerful. PA5 is typical class D with EWS (empty watt syndrome). It is desktop toy, nothing else.
I had the same feeling between NC250MP vs300A2 (the edge version).Hard to translate the specs as they respectively have THD+N 0.0015@10Hz-20kHz for the first vs 0.0009@50w 100Hz for the later.Ncore felt empty.Totally subjective,just the feel.I hore the inquisition will stand down :).
I would really like to test PA5 or LA90 for the highs though.

raest

It is better that crown (I compared)... crown sounded grey in comparison to LG (high thd probably, and flatter sound), in LG there is no unnecessary D/A conversion like in Lyngdorf Millenium amp.
I know LG is used in some studios not only stage use.
"i compared" how exactly? listened to one, listened to the other, bam the other sounds better because of your inherent "class d sucks" biases kicking in, or you actually measured the resulting FR on your speakers or at least conducted proper abx blind testing?

DHT 845

"i compared" how exactly? listened to one, listened to the other, bam the other sounds better because of your inherent "class d sucks" biases kicking in, or you actually measured the resulting FR on your speakers or at least conducted proper abx blind testing?
It was normal a/b comparison on the same music of several class d amps including lg and crown xls and few others, all were class d so there was no bias against class d for sure

JeremyFife

Hi all,

I’m looking into purchasing the PA5 for a set-up incorporating a turntable. Can someone please recommend some sufficient phono pre-amps for use with this?

Also, I’m not expecting the phono pre-amps to have TRS output. So what’s the solve here—is it okay to use an RCA to TRS cable (or XLR to TRS, depending on the pre-amp)?

Thanks!
I use the iFi Zen Phono which has balanced output (Pentaconn 4.4 mm - finding cables to TRS is fiddly but AliExpress have some inexpensive ones). Works for me.

AintEZ

Is anybody using a 36V psu for PA5?

I did read somewhere that the chip inside is at max with 36V...so I thought to get a different psu.

JeffGB

Is anybody using a 36V psu for PA5?

I did read somewhere that the chip inside is at max with 36V...so I thought to get a different psu.
I'm using 32v 5a power supply from an Aiyima a07. It runs cooler and has been perfect for months. I'm using it on my desktop and don't need any more power. At some point in time I will be changing to a higher quality smps of a similar voltage, but, for now, it's fine.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using 32v 5a power supply from an Aiyima a07. It runs cooler and has been perfect for months. I'm using it on my desktop and don't need any more power. At some point in time I will be changing to a higher quality smps of a similar voltage, but, for now, it's fine.
What are some high quality SMPSs?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is like contour of energy, empty inside. No pumping. That is why it sounds a bit "flat". There is very good localisation (focus) and clean highs but it is not enough to pull me into music.
lQxQepQ.jpeg

mike70

It was normal a/b comparison on the same music of several class d amps including lg and crown xls and few others, all were class d so there was no bias against class d for sure

I think a blind listening session will be very, very interesting for you ... you got nothing to lose .

you need to adjust the volume between the amplifiers, basically with a decibelimeter (i remember the old radio shack device) in your listening point ... the pros do it with the voltage at the output of the amplifier, but that's for a real pro, as i said.

then check if you can identify clearly your "good" amplifier from the others.
with valvulated is more easily than between all transistor amplifiers, but .. usually, blind listening experiences ends with shocking results

i think the first step to pull apart the truth from the marketing (not only the subjective marketing ... the SINAD race i think is the new "objective marketing") is precisely the blind listening ... if something sound better ... sound better, even you can't see it. If you can't hear it, who cares the marketing about "is wonderfully musical" or "it have more than 100 SINAD"?

DHT 845

I will not test this amp again even for 1000 usd in cash ... :)

mike70

I will not test this amp again even for 1000 usd in cash ... :)

ok, you can do it with what you have .. i assure you the experience worth it.
many years ago, that kind of "blind" experience makes me "see" some truth.

theory and practice are only equals on theory

Loathecliff

valvulated
:cool::) Some new words should straight into the O. E. D. without question.
... Thinking back to the last DBT twenty years ago that I was a part of. A shock for some. Fun for others.
That cluster of What Hifi favourites near the bottom:rolleyes:

DHT 845

Then your denying of human perception biasis unfold the complete unusefullness of your impressions, we can move on to the next naive subjectivist..
go on...

mike70

:cool::) Some new words should straight into the O. E. D. without question.
... Thinking back to the last DBT twenty years ago that I was a part of. A shock for some. Fun for others.
That cluster of What Hifi favourites near the bottom:rolleyes:

Sorry if i destroyed the language, english isn't my mother language :)

hi-end brands knows about it ... pretty jewelry works since the beginning of time ... it's not their fault

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
You didn't 'mike70'. Your command of the English language outstrips mine.
Embarrassingly for me, it is a word :facepalm:
Isn't that a merging of Value and Fellate... just a fancy way of saying a cheap blowjob?o_O (Sorry... I couldn't resist the joke)

Top Bottom