• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

nawfal07

Update after many hours of listening, my original take is still true, but this is in no way a bright amplifier. It’s just absolutely neutral to the source, oldsr songs with warm recordings will still stay true to it.

nawfal07

Ooohhh you have found a trs to rca connector, may I know where? Those are not very common

Be aware though, the only one I could find in Amazon.de has an user review that complains that the tip was connected to the ring!

(see review from customer "minigun")

@tonycollinet might be interested in your find too even though he makes his own :D

Received the adapter, it’s the same as the Amazon. Bought a multimeter just for this, and confirmed that the tip and the ring is connected, not floating.

I proceeded to use the mono version instead, as expected it needs additional 8 dB to level-match with the rest of the speakers in the home theater setup. Played a few songs through the receiver, I think the SINAD should be limited by the receiver but I’m hearing similar improvements albeit very slightly, I’m probably imagining things.

1652050939663.jpeg

So Input 1 from Topping D90SE, and Input 2 from Denon AVC-X4700H. All working perfectly.

Sister_Ray

Hi all, audio noob here. I'm considering buying this amp and combining it with the Allo Boss2 streamer/DAC (and a pair of Elac DBR62s). However, I see that it would mean a connection RCA out (unbalanced) to TRS in (balanced) if I'm not mistaken. Is this a problem? I heard on a YT video that it is generally not a good idea? Or is it not that big a deal as long as I keep my cable very short? Any expert advice much appreciated. :)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all, audio noob here. I'm considering buying this amp and combining it with the Allo Boss2 streamer/DAC (and a pair of Elac DBR62s). However, I see that it would mean a connection RCA out (unbalanced) to TRS in (balanced) if I'm not mistaken. Is this a problem? I heard on a YT video that it is generally not a good idea? Or is it not that big a deal as long as I keep my cable very short? Any expert advice much appreciated. :)
It will be fine except you might not have quite enough volts on the output to drive the amp to full power. Will only be a couple of DB down though, if you can output two volts from the Allo Boss (I think you'll get about 60% power)

Sister_Ray

It will be fine except you might not have quite enough volts on the output to drive the amp to full power. Will only be a couple of DB down though, if you can output two volts from the Allo Boss (I think you'll get about 60% power)
Thanks for your reply. Only 60% power? I would love to grasp the science behind that, but, more importantly, will that be enough for the Elacs?

Are there any good alternative streaming DACs which offer balanced output? The Topping E50 does, but obviously I would have to buy a separate streamer. I was looking at the Boss2 because it conveniently combines the two. This is not a dealbreaker, but separate units taken together would preferably be in the Boss2 price range (€230).

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your reply. Only 60% power? I would love to grasp the science behind that, but, more importantly, will that be enough for the Elacs?

Are there any good alternative streaming DACs which offer balanced output? The Topping E50 does, but obviously I would have to buy a separate streamer. I was looking at the Boss2 because it conveniently combines the two. This is not a dealbreaker, but separate units taken together would preferably be in the Boss2 price range (€230).
The PA5 needs 2.6 volts input to deliver full power. If your Dac can only ouput 2V, that is 0.77x voltage. But power is proportional to the square of the volts - so square 0.77 and you get 0.59 = aprox 60%

But bear in mind 60% power is only -2.2dB which is very small as a volume change (you need around 10dB (or 10x power) for a percieved doubling of volume. So 2.2dB is audible, but probably not important.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Your alternative to a streamer plus DAC would be a raspberry pi plus DAC. The ALLO BOSS is just a raspberry pi mini computer with built in DAC. If you get a PI4 kit with case and PSU, then you can run the same software as the Allo Boss, but just connect it to an external DAC via USB. The only thing you don't get then is the display.

Sister_Ray

The PA5 needs 2.6 volts input to deliver full power. If your Dac can only ouput 2V, that is 0.77x voltage. But power is proportional to the square of the volts - so square 0.77 and you get 0.59 = aprox 60%

But bear in mind 60% power is only -2.2dB which is very small as a volume change (you need around 10dB (or 10x power) for a percieved doubling of volume. So 2.2dB is audible, but probably not important.
Thanks again, Tony. I intend to use it for a regular size living room (ca 22m2) and I hardly ever want my music at earbleeding levels. I suspect that that RCA-TRS power drop won't matter that much, but what I still need to learn is how to calculate/derive whether this setup can drive my 6 Ohm Elacs.

Last edited:

AudioArchitech

For a High quality DAC and Streamer in it, that’s good. Also has Volume knob on it ! Killer headphone amp too. and now comes with a SPDIF input as well. I think can save a bit by buying the kit and ordering a Acrylic case. I have the metal (steel) one and I like how it feels solid and the weight of it keeps it from moving or tipping with cables… mine has 2 sets of XLR Outs and 1 set of RCA Outs (all Neutrik connectors) as well. Volumio with Tidal Connect is convenient too, sound is good! I have main amp, sub, and a second zone amp connected. Solves the no Sub Out or Pre Out issue on the PA5 this way too.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks again, Tony. I intend to use it for a regular size living room (ca 22m2) and I hardly ever want my music at earbleeding levels. I suspect that that RCA-TRS power drop won't matter that much, but what I still need to learn is how to calculate/derive whether this setup can drive my 6 Ohm Elacs.
It can drive them no problem. Your Elacs are (nominal) 6 ohm. The PA5 can easily drive 4 ohm speakers. You'd normally get around 65W max into 6 ohm speakers. With a limited 2V output from the Allo, you'll still get about 40W

Your ELACS will put out 86dB spl at 1.5W and 1 meter. 40W is about +14dB over 1.5W, so you can drive the speakers to about 100dB spl.

That is much higher than normal listening levels.

Sister_Ray

It can drive them no problem. Your Elacs are (nominal) 6 ohm. The PA5 can easily drive 4 ohm speakers. You'd normally get around 65W max into 6 ohm speakers. With a limited 2V output from the Allo, you'll still get about 40W

Your ELACS will put out 86dB spl at 1.5W and 1 meter. 40W is about +14dB over 1.5W, so you can drive the speakers to about 100dB spl.

That is much higher than normal listening levels.
Thanks for the math! :)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why are there still many people that want to drive this amp with an unballanced signal? It is not designed for it. We don't know what the SINAD is in that use (or I have missed that), it might be not that good.
It might not be. But it is unlikely to be significantly different. Even if it is, the difference is still likely to be inaudible.

Many people are doing it. They all report it works fine and sounds great.

The reason they want to do it is their source has an unbalanced output.

HansHolland

It might not be. But it is unlikely to be significantly different. Even if it is, the difference is still likely to be inaudible.

Many people are doing it. They all report it works fine and sounds great.

The reason they want to do it is their source has an unbalanced output.
Why is it unlikely that it is significantly different? The amp behaves strange when driven unbalanced.

Sister_Ray

Why are there still many people that want to drive this amp with an unballanced signal? It is not designed for it. We don't know what the SINAD is in that use (or I have missed that), it might be not that good.
Eh, ignorance? I'm new here and just sought out a few well reviewed pieces of hardware to combine. You probably misread my initial post, but pretty much my exact question was whether driving the PA5 with an unbalanced signal is a good idea or not. I was actually already proud that I got as far as thinking of asking the question. :)

Last edited:

HansHolland

You probably misread my initial post, but my exact question was whether this is a good idea or not. Yours is a strange way of answering a question.
to me, this is not a good idea.

But others say it is fine.
It is discussed many times in this thread, also with some measurements.

People look at it differently.

I think that the high SINAD in combination with the price works like a magnet. People want it.

Bleib

Major Contributor

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is it unlikely that it is significantly different? The amp behaves strange when driven unbalanced.
In what way do you think it behaves strange? How do you think that impacts Sinad?

As I said - there are many people here with experience that the sound is good.

Top Bottom