• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

nawfal07

Another question, hopefully the last. The PA5 is on its way now. I will be connecting from my D90SE using Topping’s XLR to TRS cable. As you can see the TRS jack is stereo.

1651828017495.jpeg

I want to make use of the second input on the PA5, but I can only use RCA. I found the following RCA to TRS adapters, but because RCA is unbalanced I’m not sure if I should get the stereo or mono version?

1651828037702.jpeg

Cheers!

nawfal07

You have completely mixed TRS stereo and TRS balanced connection. Maybe this will help a little ...

Thank you for your teply. Just shows how stupid I am with this things, and the article is even more confusing. I know nothing about electronics.

So if anyone can be so kind, which one should I buy?

Edit: I realised I’m in the wrong forum lol, no worries, I’ll leave and find the answer on other forums. Cheers.

MCH

Major Contributor
Ooohhh you have found a trs to rca connector, may I know where? Those are not very common

Be aware though, the only one I could find in Amazon.de has an user review that complains that the tip was connected to the ring!

(see review from customer "minigun")

@tonycollinet might be interested in your find too even though he makes his own :D

nawfal07

Ooohhh you have found a trs to rca connector, may I know where? Those are not very common

Be aware though, the only one I could find in Amazon.de has an user review that complains that the tip was connected to the ring!

(see review from customer "minigun")

@tonycollinet might be interested in your find too even though he makes his own :D

It’s from a local shop, don’t think they ship overseas though.

I’ve placed order for both but I want to be sure before I try any of them. They should arrive tomorrow and will update here if it’s real.

Cheers.

Reactions: MCH

Birdy

As a new bee i have a question about the sound quality. The specs look amazing! I have the Aiyima 07 and it sound good with th A3 (GE) tube buffer, is the Topping PA5 a big improvement in sound quality?

Toku

Major Contributor
As a new bee i have a question about the sound quality. The specs look amazing! I have the Aiyima 07 and it sound good with th A3 (GE) tube buffer, is the Topping PA5 a big improvement in sound quality?
Tube preamps like the AIYIMA A3 generate a lot of distortion. If you connect A3 to PA5, the characteristics will deteriorate considerably. However, some people find the added distortion sound comfortable. It's like playing a rock band with a badly distorted guitar sound.

raest

is the Topping PA5 a big improvement in sound quality?
no amp on the planet will ever be "a big improvement" unless for your uses the Aiyima was underpowered and constantly clipping. so no, the PA5 will not be an improvement in SQ, but it will be a downgrade in reliability

Frank Sol

no amp on the planet will ever be "a big improvement" unless for your uses the Aiyima was underpowered and constantly clipping. so no, the PA5 will not be an improvement in SQ, but it will be a downgrade in reliability

As of right now , as of today , I would pass on the PA5... In the future I may change my mind... who knows ?

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After 3 months of great work, my PA5 has this issue since wednesday : Left channel started making noise... It s a pitty, i really enjoy it. I am not ready to buy any more Topping product ! The resealler (on amazon makertplace) is asking me to make a video of the issue ...

It would be nice to have a representative from Topping explain their understandings of the problem.

REK2575

It would be nice to have a representative from Topping explain their understandings of the problem.

It certainly would.

My worry -- and the reason I returned my unit -- is that the PA5 is fundamentally flawed from a design standpoint, in terms of how it implements the exterior power supply, as @restorerjohn and others have pointed out. The completely cynical side of me suspects that Topping doesn't really care about the longevity of the PA5. It was designed to achieve that magical holy all-important high SINAD number, which everyone then oohs and aahs over.

As to whether the PA5 can achieve those sparkling results in Amir's review and also be relied upon to work for more than a few weeks, well.... Have you seen our shiny new LA90 amplifier and its SINAD?

AudioArchitech

Mine is sitting in a box ready to ship but I'm not willing to spend $85 (CAD) to ship it to China quite yet since I will likely just receive another defective unit. I'm hoping Topping will do the right thing, issue a recall and cover all shipping costs. This would certainly help their reputation. In the meantime my Topping amp is just sitting here doing nothing and I now need to purchase another amplifier :facepalm:

Last edited:

AudioArchitech

And now it seems as though people are having issues with the newly released Topping LA90 already !?! Hopefully, Amir left the latest Topping amplifier on his Test/Review bench a little longer this time considering the PA5 issues.

Grooved

Mine is sitting in a box ready to ship but I'm not willing to spend $85 (CAD) to ship it to China quite yet since I will likely just receive another defective unit. I'm hoping Topping will do the right thing, issue a recall and cover all shipping costs. This would certainly help their reputation. In the meantime my Topping amp is just sitting here doing nothing and I now need to purchase another amplifier :facepalm:
Topping have good products, and this kind of problems are not with this brand only, but there's something I don't understand:
to know if each of faulty unit has a bad design problem, they should ask to get these first faulty ones as fast as possible, and stop (or ask to stop for resellers) selling this PA5 at least for now. Continuing to sell it can get it worst.

If you have proof, you should never have to pay to return the unit, but I think it works most of the time if you buy it inside your country of residence, and it depends on laws for each country.
For example, I already got a laptop replaced by a new one while the faulty one was six months out of warranty just because I found 5 other cases on Internet for the same problem (there were certainly more, but it was enough to show a design problem). I sent pictures of the faulty one I had, links to the other cases, and they send a DHL guy picking up the faulty one and giving me a new one. Cost me nothing, and again, out of warranty, because they knew it was a faulty design since some months but they continued to sell it, and there are laws (often unknown) for that kind of problem, even if maybe not in all countries.
Now, it may be easier for manufacturer to pay for shipping/picking of a $1,000 laptop than a $350 amp... but 20 cases in a few months just here, I would stop selling it until the problem is found and fixed, and paying for return. The cost of that will be lower than loosing old customers or potential new ones.

BoredErica

I'd have to probably pay way too much shopping to return my pa5 back to China. What if replacement has issue too? So I hope they get to bottom of the problem soon so I can get a fixed unit.

nawfal07

The PA5 has arrived. The smallest equipment ever joined the emsemble which was first built as a home theater in mind, although music is always part of presentations.

Connected D90SE, acting as a DAC/Pre-Amp, to the PA5 using the XLR to TRS cable, and out to KEF Q350 speakers. Akon’s “Right Now (Na Na Na)” is on my phone’s screen. I tap the play button.

I sat motionless for a minute. Got up and checked everything, that’s right, only the D90SE and PA5 is powered on.

Wow, I’m impressed. This tiny thing has some real juice. The bass is strong, feeling it through my couch, I thought the subwoofer was on which I’m still not making myself any sense because even if it does, it’s never connected to the duo. The song’s synthesizer sound is like being thrown at me and then floats past my ears to the back of the room. Akon’s voice never been so authentic and alive. The background so dark it’s creepy.

1651971408307.jpeg

I had doubt the PA5 is up to task, but I’m going to try to pre-out the LR channels from the Denon AVC-X4700H into the other input on the PA5 tomorrow (the delivery of the RCA-TRS/TS adapter has been delayed to tomorrow).

I finally understands people having a separate stereo setup. Now I’m never gonna listen to music via the Denon AVC-X4700H again.

I just hope it will last long. But I’m already looking out for something with better performance, if any.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Birdy

Tube preamps like the AIYIMA A3 generate a lot of distortion. If you connect A3 to PA5, the characteristics will deteriorate considerably. However, some people find the added distortion sound comfortable. It's like playing a rock band with a badly distorted guitar sound.
I am aware of the mainly harmonic distortion. The Aiyima 07 was a bit to dry for me, the little tube amp gave a more wide and soft (probably artificial) soundstage. I like the result. I am curious if the PA5 would be a big step up or just a marginal improvement.

Birdy

How does it sound without bottle buffer?
It sounds quit good but a little "clinical" and less spacious. My classic guitar music for example ( i play guitar) has a warm character to it, looks like the 07 takes a little of this warmth. That's why i added the 03. Have not complaints but isolation of voices is a little less then my previous amp's.

Birdy

Thanks for the reply, no clipping here, i use a 48V / 10A P.S. set to 36 volts. I play at low and medium volumes, never hard. If SQ is not better then it's a no brainer! I will stay with the 007 ;-)

Top Bottom