• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

JeffGB

Can you do that? Do the connectors match?
No, the connectors don't match. I need to either take the female connector off the PA5 cord or purchase another (I need to measure them to see if the connector is a GX16-2 or a GX20-2) to convert the a07 cord to fit the PA5. It's only two wires, so not a big deal. I should add that the PA5 gets warmer and warmer as it runs. I usually run it about 12hrs per day and after a few hours it has heated up substantially. It feels only warm for the first couple of hours.

Eldus

No, the connectors don't match. I need to either take the female connector off the PA5 cord or purchase another (I need to measure them to see if the connector is a GX16-2 or a GX20-2) to convert the a07 cord to fit the PA5. It's only two wires, so not a big deal. I should add that the PA5 gets warmer and warmer as it runs. I usually run it about 12hrs per day and after a few hours it has heated up substantially. It feels only warm for the first couple of hours.
Do you have anything on top of it?

AudioArchitech

Mine is very well vented, doesn’t get exposed to heat… hardly ever push it, just normal listening levels. I have cranked it up a few times tho. Mine wasn’t damaged from excess heat, I think it’s just improper testing, rushed to market for us to do the testing.

JeffGB

Do you have anything on top of it?
Nothing on top of it or near it. I even elevated it to see if it would get better airflow but it still runs really warm. To put the temperature in perspective, my Aiyima a07 with stock power supply after being left on for a few days is only barely warm to the touch while the PA5 is MUCH hotter. I don't have a problem with the heat per se, but it seems like the longevity of the device will be compromised which I would like to avoid.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My pa5 is definitely not feeling really hot, or at least that's the case for the case. If you have pa5 and it has no issues yet, imo you should leave it on 24/7 to see if problem shows.

ModDIY

Nothing on top of it or near it. I even elevated it to see if it would get better airflow but it still runs really warm. To put the temperature in perspective, my Aiyima a07 with stock power supply after being left on for a few days is only barely warm to the touch while the PA5 is MUCH hotter. I don't have a problem with the heat per se, but it seems like the longevity of the device will be compromised which I would like to avoid.

What speakers do you use?

Rafaille

I have had the exact same popping/crackling issue on my PA5 for about a week.
Left channel only as well.
I think I read that someone else had this issue a few pages back in this thread.
Just wondering, to those who have this issue: Did you buy it very early on, only a few days after release? Do you also have a loose speaker binding post? Could be a batch problem...
I will enquire with Shenzhenaudio about a return? Anyone has some experience with them?

BoredErica

I have had the exact same popping/crackling issue on my PA5 for about a week.
Left channel only as well.
I think I read that someone else had this issue a few pages back in this thread.
Just wondering, to those who have this issue: Did you buy it very early on, only a few days after release? Do you also have a loose speaker binding post? Could be a batch problem...
I will enquire with Shenzhenaudio about a return? Anyone has some experience with them?
I paid for mine at Black Friday give or take, but hifigo had no silver version to ship for a month. Mine has no binding post issue.

cwatt

I have been thoroughly enjoying this amp for the past several weeks in my main system. No issues with heat or crackling sounds and I have tended to leave this in standby mode 24x7. Even using at full volume for extended periods the unit is never more than warm to the touch. I do find it odd though that in standby mode it remains at the same warm to the touch temperature as it is in full operation.

The PA5 + miniDSP SHD + Arendal 1961 bookshelf speakers have replaced a 5.2 AVR system.

We sit about 13 feet from the speakers (84dB/2.83v/1m per specs) and this little amp can hit peaks of 95 dBA on select music - measured with a phone app. With the volume maxed out on the miniDSP and PA5, volume at the seat averages in the low 80s dBA with most sources, which is plenty loud for my purposes. Really the only situation where I would like this amp to go to 11 is with movies. Movies on disc or on ATV tend to hit much lower peaks than music or non Dolby down-mixed material. With action scenes the volume drops noticeably versus scenes where there is just dialogue. This creates a situation where you turn up the volume and it becomes too loud with dialogue and not loud enough during action scenes.

Overall a fantastic little amp.

ModDIY

I do find it odd though that in standby mode it remains at the same warm to the touch temperature as it is in full operation.
One explanation is that class D amps increase in efficiency with higher power.

igfarm

Also happy with the PA5 amp. Mine is feed from a Motu M4/CamillaDSP (for SVS sub crossover) and connected to GR Research X-LS Encode speakers about 8 feet away from the listening position in my living room. Used for steaming music only via Roon. Plenty loud, no hums or crackling. Volume is controlled in Roon, and Motu, CamillaDSP and PA5 volumes are set to max.

AudioArchitech

on mine the noise is mainly present when the music stops, then occasional pops while there is music playing. lately those pops are happening more often.

Selkirks

I've been using the PA5 for almost 2 months swapping between a Border Patrol SE DAC with RCA to TRS adapters and a Topping E50 with TRS cables. The speakers are Odeon No.28 SE (94 dB). Does anyone know if using the RCA to TRS adapter is going to damage the amp? I know it's not optimal but it simply sounds better. The Border Patrol DAC output voltage is 1.87V. I'd prefer to keep it in my system if possible but I get paranoid that it might be a problem down the road.

Last edited:

wlgreg

My replacement PA5 is now exhibiting the same static issue. Did not use it all day…this evening, my wife let me know “it's making that noise again.” Sure enough, constant staticy white noise through one speaker, even though nothing playing from streamer, DAC in standby mode.

Will be requesting a return from APOS. After 2 faulty units, I think I'm done. Very disappointed in Topping's QC on these units.

nagster

My replacement PA5 is now exhibiting the same static issue. Did not use it all day…this evening, my wife let me know “it's making that noise again.” Sure enough, constant staticy white noise through one speaker, even though nothing playing from streamer, DAC in standby mode.

Will be requesting a return from APOS. After 2 faulty units, I think I'm done. Very disappointed in Topping's QC on these units.
I suggest adding a little more work to identify the cause.
Turn off the power of the PA5 and disconnect all the cables connected to the input terminal of the PA5.
The PA5 and speakers remain connected.
The only cables connected to the PA5 are the AC adapter cable and speaker cable.
In that state, turn on the power of PA5.
If you still hear a lot of noise from the speakers, it's probably a PA5 failure.

Or, even if the PA5 is normal, the noise may be unacceptable.
If your speakers are very efficient.
In that case, it is difficult to use PA5 in your environment.

Top Bottom