• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

F1308

Major Contributor
First on page 201 !!!!
I promise I shall be back on the 1000.

Ohhh, by the way...My PA5 Silver performing great. My pipe organ sounding much better that the one at the Cathedral next door.

Roland Fantom 8 synthesiser and Topping PA5, what an astounding match !!!!

Last edited:

nagster

Yeah but I haven't volume control on my dac...
Can I still supply the PA5 with a higher voltage and use its pot for volume control?
When adjusting the volume pod so that the output does not clip, I confirmed that there is no problem even if I apply up to 26Vrms to the input terminal of PA5.
26Vrms and above are unconfirmed.

Davide

When adjusting the volume pod so that the output does not clip, I confirmed that there is no problem even if I apply up to 26Vrms to the input terminal of PA5.
26Vrms and above are unconfirmed.
good to know! thanks

flz

One of those subjectivist youtube reviewers (iiWi Reviews) just reviewed the PA5 and loved it. He's the same guy who got lots of flak on ASR for other reviews he did, liking units that measured poorly such as Earmen Tradutto DAC. I guess you can't expect consistency from these reviewers.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
One of those subjectivist youtube reviewers (iiWi Reviews) just reviewed the PA5 and loved it. He's the same guy who got lots of flak on ASR for other reviews he did, liking units that measured poorly such as Earmen Tradutto DAC. I guess you can't expect consistency from these reviewers.
It probably just suggests that he (like most) cannot hear the levels of distortion created in even poorly measuring devices.

xaon60

My PA5 is currently connected to a balanced d90se.
It is configured in 4V and also supplies an RCA subwoofer (Klipsch R-115SW).
The default RCA voltage is 2V.

Question: Can I increase the voltage of the d90se to 5V for more performance?
Is there a risk for the PA5 and my subwoofer? the RCA would therefore be at 2.6V.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My PA5 is currently connected to a balanced d90se.
It is configured in 4V and also supplies an RCA subwoofer (Klipsch R-115SW).
The default RCA voltage is 2V.

Is there a risk for the PA5 and my subwoofer? the RCA would therefore be at 2.6V.
You won't hurt the subwoofer. Service manual for the SW is available online. The summing, volume, filter are all use op-amp circuits running with +/- 15V.

capslock

For what it's worth, the PA 5 is on sale at hifigo for $316 including shipping and duty/tax to Europe until April 1st. Search for hifigo discount coupon and you may be able to chop another $ 8 off (I had to try a few). And if your credit card is not in USD and you use Paypal, doing the conversion in your card is almost always going to be cheaper than letting Paypal do it.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For what it's worth, the PA 5 is on sale at hifigo for $316 including shipping and duty/tax to Europe until April 1st. Search for hifigo discount coupon and you may be able to chop another $ 8 off (I had to try a few). And if your credit card is not in USD and you use Paypal, doing the conversion in your card is almost always going to be cheaper than letting Paypal do it.
Dang, just when I got one for $349..

PS Amazon has it for $314 with free shipping and Wednesday delivery

Oh well, only $10 difference after tax. Got mine from Nice Cans

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you happen to have bought it from either Hifigo or Shenzhen within the past 30 days they refund you the difference :)

raest

damn, bought mine 2 months ago from audiophonics... though received only a a week ago 'cause of shipping problems, as is usually the case these past few years :)

newbie here... PA5+E50 powering KEF R7s... yup. works quite nicely :) it's probably at the limits of the PA5 'cause it does get pretty warm pretty often, but it works better, is smaller, and gets way less hot than my old Marantz PM7200

brandonhall

Forum Donor
damn, bought mine 2 months ago from audiophonics... though received only a a week ago 'cause of shipping problems, as is usually the case these past few years :)

newbie here... PA5+E50 powering KEF R7s... yup. works quite nicely :) it's probably at the limits of the PA5 'cause it does get pretty warm pretty often, but it works better, is smaller, and gets way less hot than my old Marantz PM7200
That is a beautiful system. Congrats on great choices

dsnyder0cnn

Whenever a bright orange package arrives, I know it's going to be a good day…

Front Door_1648597718 - edit.jpg

I had to have the stack in red. Many thanks to Apos for making it happen in less than a week!

20220329_173616 - edit.jpg

20220329_173324 - edit.jpg

Currently driving a pair of HiFiMan HE400se headphones from the E50 + L50. Sounds brilliant. I'll check out the PA if I can drag myself away from listening with headphones long enough to get some loudspeakers.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 196412

I had to have the stack in red. Many thanks to Apos for making it happen in less than a week!

View attachment 196414

View attachment 196413

Currently driving a pair of HiFiMan HE400se headphones from the E50 + L50. Sounds brilliant. I'll check out the PA if I can drag myself away from listening with headphones long enough to get some loudspeakers.
Maybe could drive the TuneTots?

Attachments

• 24F24200-E49A-4D4E-9BAB-FA4542E6B12B.jpeg
    24F24200-E49A-4D4E-9BAB-FA4542E6B12B.jpeg
    54.6 KB · Views: 88

vkvedam

Forum Donor

View attachment 196412

View attachment 196414

View attachment 196413

Nice! Where did you get the cables from?

dsnyder0cnn

Nice! Where did you get the cables from?
Thanks. The cables Apos Flow balanced…part of the bundle from Apos.

nagster

For my pair, the thd+n ratio improved by 0.1dB.
D90SE and PA5 were connected with an XLR-TRS cable and measured via AUX-0025 at the output terminal of the PA5 with a junk 4ohm dummy load connected.
d90se+pa5.jpg

Attachments

• d90se_4V_pre_-18dB_-0.255dBFS_pa5full.png
    d90se_4V_pre_-18dB_-0.255dBFS_pa5full.png
    159.7 KB · Views: 102
  • d90se_5V_pre_-20dB_0dBFS_pa5full.png
    d90se_5V_pre_-20dB_0dBFS_pa5full.png
    155.6 KB · Views: 104
Top Bottom