• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

AudioArchitech

How to Connect a REL to Class D Gear:
https://rel.net/blog/2017-12-27/how-to/connect-rel-class-d-gear/

FYI, If you need to use Transformer for isolation, typically when switching between Unbalanced and Balanced, stick to Jenson transformers for clean sound. Radial Engineering makes good ones, I think Rupert Neve maybe too, possibly another company or two, many other cheap crappy ones out there.

Last edited:

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
An update, it worked with Speak-On L R connected at the amp end with ground disconnected completely.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An update, it worked with Speak-On L R connected at the amp end with ground disconnected completely.
Not sure what sort of bass you're going to get with that though. You've got to worry about what your signal return path is. Possibly through power supply earth if you have no direct ground between the amp and the sub.

Or you might be getting some wierd differential bass signal as difference between left and right. Depending on the circuit design in the sub.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Not sure what sort of bass you're going to get with that though. You've got to worry about what your signal return path is. Possibly through power supply earth if you have no direct ground between the amp and the sub.

Or you might be getting some wierd differential bass signal as difference between left and right. Depending on the circuit design in the sub.
No, it's good. Watch this video, REL explains this. Left +, Right +

gamerpaddy

but they also wanting you to hook up a dummy RCA to a port you never use so you have a ground reference. see step 2.

you either have a weird floating ground now
or you got a ground connection trough your DAC, PC (or whatever you have connected to your amp), trough the outlet into your sub again.
both are pretty bad situations. any slight potential could drive a sensitive line level input into clipping.

what could work is a RCA to 1/4" TRS cable you plug between your Sub's LFE and amp unused input. thats the equivalent to REL's step 2.

AudioArchitech

Worth reading through it again. They said it will work but there is Voltage coming from the Black speaker terminal on the PA5 that will eventually burn out the Input section of the REL sub if you skip Step 2

REL step 2:
"Next, connect a long RCA-RCA interconnect from either an unused input on a preamp or receiver to the REL’s .1/LFE input. Do this even if you have no interest in theater, you are creating an audio ground, nothing more. This is true for 2-channel systems, we are not using the .1 LFE input for anything more than to produce ground." Make sure to turn the REL’s .1/LFE Volume all the way down to Zero.

I'm assuming you could use one of the (TS to RCA adapter) RCA's on Line 2 of the PA5 (even if the switch is set to Line 1 on PA5). Maybe someone else could chime in. Or, you may be able to get away with connecting the D50 Coax Input to REL’s .1/LFE input (again, make sure to turn the REL’s .1/LFE Volume all the way down to Zero) please investigate further, but I think it would be fine.

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Well, the sub is integrated into the home cinema setup anyway with the .1 LFE connected to the AVR all the time. So I left black cable floating as the ground will be taken care of by the LFE.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, the sub is integrated into the home cinema setup anyway with the .1 LFE connected to the AVR all the time. So I left black cable floating as the ground will be taken care of by the LFE.
It will if there is a ground reference between the AVR, and the PA5. Is there?

vkvedam

Forum Donor
Right, I am back. REL's integration is sorted now. I have a funny situation. I would like to integrate my AVR and PA5 in such a way that I don't have to switch banana plugs at the speaker terminals for movies (AVR) and music (PA5). I tried the pre-amp route but the output from Marantz is so low that the front LS50s are not at same level as the rest of the home cinema speakers are when driven through PA5. Can I merge the speaker connections from AVR and PA5 somehow without shorting? Thanks, Ven

PS: PA5 is phenomenal, much better sounding than Marantz

nikosidis

You know the pre. out on home cinema stuff is mostly not that good. Noisy is maybe a better word.
For music I would use a DAC directly that nice Amp you got now.

rbachl

Can I merge the speaker connections from AVR and PA5 somehow without shorting? Thanks, Ven
There are A/B switches that can be used to switch between different pairs of loudspeakers.
The same switches can also be used to connect either one of the amplifier outputs to the loudspeakers.

AudioArchitech

handy little box

719yGZOPdgL._AC_SX679_.jpg
41UAj1uG0xL._AC_.jpg

Nobsound Little Bear MC3 3-IN-3-OUT XLR Balanced/RCA Stereo Converter Audio Selector Splitter Box Passive Preamp XLR to RCA Audio Switch (XLR & RCA)​

vkvedam

Forum Donor
You know the pre. out on home cinema stuff is mostly not that good. Noisy is maybe a better word.
For music I would use a DAC directly that nice Amp you got now.
Not doing that, I am talking about TV/Movies

AudioArchitech

@vkvedam
edit: sorry, for theater and 2 channel use...

Connect D50 to one of your Inputs on AVR. Connect Pre-Out FRONT on 6012 to PA5 (RCA-TS 1/4" adapter or cable). Connect FRONT main speakers to PA5, connect REL (High Level) to PA5, connect LFE (REL) to SUB 1 (6012). (nothing connected to FRONT speaker terminals on 6012) On 6012 set all of your speakers to SMALL including the FRONT speakers, set SUB to ON....etc. Run Audyssey, XT32 is good! For 2 Channel listening, switch to Stereo Mode and try Pure Direct on 6012.

Last edited:
Top Bottom