• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

daniboun

Major Contributor
So let's see measurments of the topping supply too. Maybe its cleaner than both of these.

I'm very skeptical about this.... if you consider that a SMPS Connex LLC PSU Audio grade is worth a third of the price of a PA5... And generally, brick type power supplies are not known to be efficient. However, I am not saying that the stock PSU is bad but on the other hand it is not very powerful (152W). That being said, it would indeed get ASR measures to say more... But I'll let you know what I think when I've pushed my listening further )

daniboun

Major Contributor
Take a look @ TI spec about the TPA3255 :

Recommended PSU : • Power supply 5–14 A/18–53.5 VDC (as you can read 5A should be the minimum).
If I am not mistaken, most TPA3255 amps have shown better THD+ N figure with a 36/38V PSU. (It is no coincidence that Topping chose a 38V PSU)

Here a full review of the Connex SMPS300 (dual rail), it could help anyway :

Last edited:

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would be very interesting if you sent this to Amir for testing to compare to stock PA5
Send the power brick? I doubt it would affect the measurements of the amplifier to any noticeable degree. It’s completely outside the enclosure. Unless it is doing something really wrong, that is.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great to see the power brick is ETL listed and contains the correct EU and U.S. regulatory markings.

xaon60

I've read the various posts in this thread and used the search but can't find confirmation to my question. Is there a risk of using the balanced output of the d90se (4 Vrms) -> PA5 using an XLR -> TSR cable?
Sensitivity of PA5 at 2.6 Vrms

antcollinet

Master Contributor
None whatsoever - it is designed for balanced inputs, most of which can drive 4V.

If you put in more than the 2.6V sensitivity - and the volume knob is at max, then the amp will clip. You don't want to leave it there for any time because the clipping as bad for your speakers. But you also don't want to leave it there for any time because your ears will bleed. :cool:

Recommended technique (assuming you are not controlling volume with the amp) is to turn the amp volume right down. Put your main volume control to max, then turn up the amp until the volume is a little louder than you'll ever want to listen to, and leave it there.

Then use your normal volume control as you like.

xaon60

The d90se is in the DAC position, the sound volume is not adjustable, I will use the RCA output to power my active subwoofer (Klipsch 115-SW), and use the XLR outputs for the PA5 which will power my Klipsch R-820F (97db sensitivity)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
The d90se is in the DAC position, the sound volume is not adjustable, I will use the RCA output to power my active subwoofer (Klipsch 115-SW), and use the XLR outputs for the PA5 which will power my Klipsch R-820F (97db sensitivity)

The D90SE can control volume if set to preamp mode which is the default. If you don't want to do that, then you can control the volume with the amp - but you won't want to be using the full range of the volume control - although it only needs to be turned down about 4dB for max power at 4V in.

xaon60

Thanks for your information :)
I will report back on my experience (R-115SW + R-820F) D90se + PA5 on Monday. It's gonna be amazing.

Zek

Major Contributor
If your D90se is in DAC position, you can't simultaneously control volume on your R.820F and sub.

xaon60

The sub has active amplification with volume control. The d90se can be output via RCA for the sub and XLR for the PA5 at the same time

AudioSQ

The sub has active amplification with volume control. The d90se can be output via RCA for the sub and XLR for the PA5 at the same time
Right, but if you aren't using the dac to adjust the volume then when you adjust it on the PA5 it won't also adjust it for the sub. You'll have to adjust the volume of both independently. I think most would find it a bother, but maybe you're ok with that.

If you use the DAC to adjust the volume it will adjust both the PA5 and sub at the same time.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
This is a good point. And you can't get a good sub integration without the volume being kept in step.

What is the reason for not wanting the D90 in preamp mode?

xaon60

It's a matter of adjustment. The 115-SW sub tends to be a little too much above the rest, I haven't found a solution on the volume so as not to destroy my room when the volume increases with the dac. So I prefer to leave it aside and weaker than the rest because it remains clearly audible. :)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Fair enough.

Your next step might be sub integration using measurement and dsp. ;)

xaon60

Yes, it's planned, first acoustic work where the equipment is :) but overall I always want the infrasound to be weaker than the rest, I think it spoils beautiful music when there is too many and especially with this one it is formidable

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's a matter of adjustment. The 115-SW sub tends to be a little too much above the rest, I haven't found a solution on the volume so as not to destroy my room when the volume increases with the dac. So I prefer to leave it aside and weaker than the rest because it remains clearly audible. :)
This totally sounds like room modes to me, and you should be able to fix this with DSP. With our ears being less sensitive to bass, the room modes are much more tolerable at low volumes. As you turn it up, the sub pushes the room modes to dominate sound more and it gets uncomfortable and sounds more wrong, driving the desire to turn the sub back down.

xaon60

My room (living room) is not very big. I live in an old country house, the 4 walls are cob (about 20cm), the sofa is in the back of the room and is 3 meters from the columns which are spaced 2 meters apart and the subwoofer is in the middle. Oddly enough, my neighbor (these are two old houses stuck together) can't hear my subwoofer from his dining room at all, even if I turn the volume up to 5/11, which is physically destructive when I'm in the room. , because all my bones are shaking, the couch, the objects, everything.
I agree that this type of box has nothing to do in this small volume, but it was financially possible and I wanted to have fun! :)

I prefer to refer to another topic to talk about this, it's not the right one right now.

I will inquire for a DSP. Thanks for your help ! :)

Top Bottom