• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Jimbo

Sabaj A5 has 2 x RCA Inputs

A5-2_720x.jpg

A5-3_720x.jpg
That looks very interesting, I'll await a review hopefully from Amir.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That looks very interesting, I'll await a review hopefully from Amir.
It's up to you, the A5 is an IcePower and not the best model.

The Topping PA3s is a 2x ma12070 and surely more musical. I have the Sabaj A20a on my second chain, and the MA120470 is really good.

Klint

Would the PA5 risk to be damaged if the switch is on al the time and powered up from a power strip?

iakovis

Balanced TRS imputs: Which is the right way to attach a CD player or a Streamer to these nice inputs?

Eggs Ackley

Which is the right way to attach a CD player or a Streamer to these nice inputs?
Through a nice balanced DAC such as the matching Topping E50 which has three switchable inputs for USB, optical and coax connections.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Would the PA5 risk to be damaged if the switch is on al the time and powered up from a power strip?
I don't see how it would get damaged, but don't take my word for that at all as I have no idea at all. What I do know is that's what I'm doing with my desktop system that has a PA5 in it. The speakers will make a "pssshhh" noise when you do it. It's not very loud, so I can't see it doing any damage to the speakers, but depending on your situation it could definitely be annoying. Maybe @JohnYang1997 can tell us if what I'm doing is actually bad or or not.

Once my office has been vacant for 10 minutes, a power strip that has two desk lamps along with all of my audio gear turns off. I'm never in the room to hear the noise, so I don't care about it. I've assumed it's fine, but I'd think the ideal way would be to find the male/female connectors Topping is using between the amp and the power adapter, and make a intermediate cable between the amp and power supply that's switched instead.

bsas

Balanced TRS imputs: Which is the right way to attach a CD player or a Streamer to these nice inputs?

Again, you can get RCA to TS cables (or adapters). It works too, it will just be lower volume.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
OK... It will drop the volume in half :p
it will drop power by about 40% assuming the RCA outputs deliver 2V max. Power is not volume. you need approx 10x power to perceive a doubling of volume. 40% less power (about 2.2 dB) will typically be perceived as about 11% drop in volume

Last edited:

Maciekw

OK... It will drop the volume in half :p
This is true if the input is based on a differential amplifier. If not (as it is in the basic TPA32XX application), the power will be 1/4 of the nominal power.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
This is true if the input is based on a differential amplifier. If not (as it is in the basic TPA32XX application), the power will be 1/4 of the nominal power.
Again no - the amp sensitivity is 2.6V Deliver that and the amp outputs full power. If an RCA output delivers 2V, that is 2.2dB down on 2.6V, or 40%down on power.

Eggs Ackley

Clearly this amp was designed to be used with balanced connections, anything else is a poor compromise at best. Just use it the the way it was intended or use a different amp that suits your needs.

SaltyCDogg

Clearly this amp was designed to be used with balanced connections, anything else is a poor compromise at best. Just use it the the way it was intended or use a different amp that suits your needs.

I disagree. I agree that using with a balanced source is the most 'optimal', but that doesn't mean that anything else should be avoided.

There are a lot of people in this thread using with a variety of non balanced sources who are very happy.

Maciekw

Again no - the amp sensitivity is 2.6V Deliver that and the amp outputs full power. If an RCA output delivers 2V, that is 2.2dB down on 2.6V, or 40%down on power.
The main power problem is not in the input signal level, but in the topology of the bridge amplifier circuit and the output voltage at which thd is 1%. Look at the attached picture.

Attachments

• 20220112_122448.jpg
    20220112_122448.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Lambda

Major Contributor
What do you think balanced even mean?

Top Bottom