• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree on 3rd one - A07 stomps all over PA5. And the bottom line - save a little more money and get a Purifi or nCore, or don't save - get A07.
PA5 works fine for my speakers JBL A170.
Perhaps you should consider matching your components properly instead of mismatching them and then complaining about bad performance...

bsas

I am really grateful to you, regarding the Topping D50s I don't take it into consideration because I wanted to use the Pa5 in balanced

It is safer to go with the E50 since it is the recommended DAC for the unit from the manufacturer. If you want Bluetooth you can easily add any Bluetooth receiver that has SPDIF or COAX output and connect to the E50 later.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is safer to go with the E50 since it is the recommended DAC for the unit from the manufacturer. If you want Bluetooth you can easily add any Bluetooth receiver that has SPDIF or COAX output and connect to the E50 later.
Agreed.

wjp007

Okay so I bought the PA5 without doing my research. For some reason I thought it had both balanced and unbalanced inputs. Now I have a PA5 that I can't use. So I'm looking for recommendations for either a preamp (I have a DAC) or a DAC. I need a volume control with a remote. Any ideas would be appreciated? I'd hate to return it given all of the great feedback here. I also don't want to spend a fortune.

bsas

Okay so I bought the PA5 without doing my research. For some reason I thought it had both balanced and unbalanced inputs. Now I have a PA5 that I can't use. So I'm looking for recommendations for either a preamp (I have a DAC) or a DAC. I need a volume control with a remote. Any ideas would be appreciated? I'd hate to return it given all of the great feedback here. I also don't want to spend a fortune.

You can do three things:

1) Cheap option: You can use a simple RCA to TS cable but the amp will be operating in half power. If you think it is enough volume for you, this is fine. Example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PPMXV28/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) A little more expensive option: You can try to find anything that converts SE (RCA) to balanced (TRS or XLR). I found this on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32835103473.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.231f4c4d2dPZdH

3) Most optimal but expensive: Buy a balanced source (example, the E50 DAC).

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay so I bought the PA5 without doing my research. For some reason I thought it had both balanced and unbalanced inputs. Now I have a PA5 that I can't use. So I'm looking for recommendations for either a preamp (I have a DAC) or a DAC. I need a volume control with a remote. Any ideas would be appreciated? I'd hate to return it given all of the great feedback here. I also don't want to spend a fortune. I have a practically new D10 Balanced I will sell you, if you're interested.

JakeJang

My PA5 just arrived yesterday, and I'm using TRS to RCA gender to use with my Khadas Tone 2 Pro.

It's definitely an upgrade when compared to my old SMSL SA300. I loved it, but there are some issues that I would like to ask PA5 owners in this thread.
When you increase the volume knob from left to right I found that there are some knob positions that actually kill the sounds. Suddenly, the volume just dropped too much. It's almost muted on those knob positions. Also, at some knob positions, the left and right speakers produce sounds unevenly. Although the positions and settings do matter, this is noticeably apparent. Lastly, at max volume, the sound was just muted.

Is this only my AMP problem or probably TRS to RCA gender problem?
It would be very helpful to know what the real issue is since I have to return and get a new amp by waiting for almost 2 weeks if this is my amp problem.

bsas

My PA5 just arrived yesterday, and I'm using TRS to RCA gender to use with my Khadas Tone 2 Pro.

It's definitely an upgrade when compared to my old SMSL SA300. I loved it, but there are some issues that I would like to ask PA5 owners in this thread.
When you increase the volume knob from left to right I found that there are some knob positions that actually kill the sounds. Suddenly, the volume just dropped too much. It's almost muted on those knob positions. Also, at some knob positions, the left and right speakers produce sounds unevenly. Although the positions and settings do matter, this is noticeably apparent. Lastly, at max volume, the sound was just muted.

It would be very helpful to know what the real issue is since I have to return and get a new amp by waiting for almost 2 weeks if this is my amp problem.

Do you mean some random positions on the volume pot are just dead silent? That looks like a bad solder joint for me :(

JakeJang

Do you mean some random positions on the volume pot are just dead silent? That looks like a bad solder joint for me :(
I do agree with you, but I'm a little cautious. I read a thread saying that TS-RCA gender will affect the gain of amp.
My second approach is to buy TS-RCA gender and retry it. I really hope this will fix the problem cuz I do love this amp.
I will try that and report it again

nhs

May be you have RCA to stereo cable, therefore it doesn't work.
You need RCA to mono instead.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Marketing BS. Matching because you want the stack to be pretty, OK. There is no magic compatibility within a line other than to get you to pay more. Match the features and performance.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Okay so I bought the PA5 without doing my research. For some reason I thought it had both balanced and unbalanced inputs. Now I have a PA5 that I can't use. So I'm looking for recommendations for either a preamp (I have a DAC) or a DAC. I need a volume control with a remote. Any ideas would be appreciated? I'd hate to return it given all of the great feedback here. I also don't want to spend a fortune. I have a practically new D10 Balanced I will sell you, if you're interested.

there are RCA to mono TRS plugs available anywhere - you will need two.
something like these:
They worked really well for me.
As for "lost 4V input signal" - don't worry. PA5 will clip at 2.6V - its rated input sensitivity. So with 2V RCA to TRS you are actually safer.

bsas

Marketing BS. Matching because you want the stack to be pretty, OK. There is no magic compatibility within a line other than to get you to pay more. Match the features and performance.

I am not saying you must “match” components, I agree that “matching” is BS.

But, when the manufacturer (Topping) designed the PA5 obviously they made the necessary effort for it’s input to expect the recommended E50 DAC TRS output.

So, if you want to be “safe” (aka, without going deep into specs to unsure signal compatibility), the E50 is a safe bet.

Obviously any balanced DAC that can output 4Vrms like the E50 also suffices.

nagster

I do agree with you, but I'm a little cautious. I read a thread saying that TS-RCA gender will affect the gain of amp.
My second approach is to buy TS-RCA gender and retry it. I really hope this will fix the problem cuz I do love this amp.
I took a look at the khadas page and found that the Tone2 Pro's RCA output was complicated.
Even if you take measures, the result may be different from usual...
TONE2PROa.png

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I am not saying you must “match” components, I agree that “matching” is BS.

But, when the manufacturer (Topping) designed the PA5 obviously they made the necessary effort for it’s input to expect the recommended E50 DAC TRS output.

So, if you want to be “safe” (aka, without going deep into specs to unsure signal compatibility), the E50 is a safe bet.

Obviously any balanced DAC that can output 4Vrms like the E50 also suffices.
I doubt your assumption. I would suspect they make effort to be widely compatible. That is why we have standards as lose as they are.
Matching is marketing. Choice of case is a tease to get you to move upline with all boxes even if you need one. Good business, but nothing to do with compatibility or sound. One can expect all consumer products to be compatible. At least for the last 50 years.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I took a look at the khadas page and found that the Tone2 Pro's RCA output was complicated.
View attachment 176960
Gain is a amplifier design choice. Not transport layer or connector.
That weird thing above is NOT RCA. It is a custom balanced jack proprietary to them. A pair of XLR's would not fit their form factor, so they made some unique stuff. I gather their trick is just like an XLR, you can ground half and feed a balanced input with one side so you canuse the same physical input for either balanced or SE. OK. So what. I winder what they sell their proprietary cables for?

nagster

Using a 3.5mm output instead of the Tone2 Pro's unusual RCA output will help identify the cause.

Using something like this.

wjp007

You can do three things:

1) Cheap option: You can use a simple RCA to TS cable but the amp will be operating in half power. If you think it is enough volume for you, this is fine. Example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PPMXV28/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2) A little more expensive option: You can try to find anything that converts SE (RCA) to balanced (TRS or XLR). I found this on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32835103473.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.231f4c4d2dPZdH

3) Most optimal but expensive: Buy a balanced source (example, the E50 DAC).
Thanks for this. I ordered a pair of RCA to TS adapters. Wow. I was really surprised how great my LS50 Meta sound with these. What really surprised me was how much the sound enveloped me. It added depth and width. I was expecting better dynamics but didn't expect the spatial improvement. I do think I need to gain back the extra power by going single ended. I don't listen to music loud, but I have the volume set fairly high. I might get (or build) a single ended to balanced converter (there's are good threads on AR on this).

An additional question, so how do people use a sub with this amp? Just use the speaker level inputs on the subwoofer. I would prefer the line level route but that means I need a preamp that has a subwoofer line level output. I haven't seen any balanced output preamps with a subwoofer line level output that are anywhere close to my budget.

wjp007

View attachment 176960
Seems like they have their labels wrong. 3 and 4 can't be balanced as they look like RCA.

Top Bottom