• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Yeah I now remember that discussion. What a bummer. But this is a testing/quality control problem at Topping. For instance, why does the D90 sometimes start producing screeching noise at 768Khz with some computers, and why is there is no update to fix that? Why is the software often lacking (take for instance the way the volume control accelerates using the remote on some of their DACs?), or the remote have such a narrow working angle? The products sound great, but they lack something in UX refinement.
I noticed the remote to the D30pro to be week and have to be direct line of sight. Could not bounce off ceiling. Choice for battery life I assume.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
For years ( decades?) Paul Klipsch complained "What the world needs is a good 10W amp" alluding to his basic paper showing how distortion and efficiency were inversely proportional. So a PA5 on a K-horn? Of course, Manley built a really good 10W amp and K-horns still sounded like, well horns.

Horns and waveguides are indeed areas where tremendous progress has been made in reducing higher order modes, distortion, and improving directivity patterns. How one can listen to a 20+ years old horn and claim it sounds good fully escapes me.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
This explanation seems reasonable to me for an amp with balanced input:

"Yes, there is a bit of "cheating" going on in the form of low gain of 19 dB. Benchmark AHB2 which landed on top used the same. In practice, this is not a problem at all since max power was achieved at 2.5 volt which is well within the 4 volt range of balanced DACs."
To complicate things Hafler set their gain for rated power @ 1.57 volts.

majere_audio

for those of you who own the PA5 - are you using Input 1 or 2? I have to connect using XLR to TRS from the DAC, but did not see anything in their manual about Input 1 vs. 2 - they both the same?

JeffGB

I just received my PA5 this morning. I'm just listening to it now. Very nice. The gain is just right for my desktop (windows 10 PC > Audient ID14 MkII > Topping PA5 > JBL a130). I was using the Aiyma a07 but the gain was too high making it necessary to cut my DAC's level a great deal. With the Topping, I'm able to set my DAC to full output and use the analog volume control.

I believe it made the trip across Canada in a truck, during a major cold snap. In other words, it has been near cryogenically treated for even better sound! I'm a bit worried that it may be too cool-sounding now. Oh well, next summer will bring another heatwave to fix it :).

Seriously though, it really sounds clean and everything works as it should. This is my first purchase from Topping and I can say that I am impressed. It seems a perfect fit for desktop use where more power, size, and heat are a huge downside. The gain is perfect for use with a good balanced DAC. There is one question a user must ask oneself before purchase is whether or not you will have sufficient gain if you use a speaker that requires a lot of EQ. If you require a large gain reduction for correcting a dip in response, you need to subtract that from what you expect for maximum volume. I have lots of gain when using -3db with equalizerAPO.

JeffGB

for those of you who own the PA5 - are you using Input 1 or 2? I have to connect using XLR to TRS from the DAC, but did not see anything in their manual about Input 1 vs. 2 - they both the same?
I'm using input 1 but they are both the same. I'll be connecting a second DAC to input 2 for comparisons.

D700

Fixed it
Topping PA5 Review Stereo Amplifier.jpg

Redheart

No

Think of it this way. You try two cars. Both have 200HP engines (same power right?)

But the mechanics of the accelerator pedal are different. On one you get full power when you half press the accelerator - beyond that you get no extra power, on the other you have to press the pedal to the floor to get full power.

Is one underpowered compared to the other?

Think of your input volts into the amp as being like the accelerator position.

Bear in mind one amp has RCA inputs which are only designed to accept a maximum of two volts. The other has balanced connectors designed to accept 4 volts.
I would correct the métaphore : one car engine get full power when you half press the accelerator, the other one you have to stop the car, open the hood, apply digital gain without clipping. Close the hood, and then you can enjoy the ride. Frankly, if you can drive your speaker to ear splitting levels with PA5, you are either delusional or driving 100db sensitive speakers! Sorry guys, I am so fed up by dude saying it is not possible this amp is underpowered and or under gaine. Peace out!

Klint

I would correct the métaphore : one car engine get full power when you half press the accelerator, the other one you have to stop the car, open the hood, apply digital gain without clipping. Close the hood, and then you can enjoy the ride. Frankly, if you can drive your speaker to ear splitting levels with PA5, you are either delusional or driving 100db sensitive speakers! Sorry guys, I am so fed up by dude saying it is not possible this amp is underpowered and or under gaine. Peace out!

A couple of months ago I had Magnepan MG3.7i, 86db and a power amplifier measuring 1680w at 1ohm. PA5 would be useless. Now i have a 98dB speaker. PA5 is a monster. After a long day of listening and as a grand finale with metal and punk, PA5 is niiice.

Attachments

• D194E8B3-D2AE-40D9-B6B8-A060C2C2C0B5.jpeg
    D194E8B3-D2AE-40D9-B6B8-A060C2C2C0B5.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 198

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
and you can keep getting fed up. It is NOT POSSIBLE that the PA5 is under powered compared to the A07 as mentioned. That is the topic being discussed here, nothing more nothing less

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A couple of months ago I had Magnepan MG3.7i, 86db and a power amplifier measuring 1680w at 1ohm. PA5 would be useless. Now i have a 98dB speaker. PA5 is a monster. After a long day of listening and as a grand finale with metal and punk, PA5 is niiice.
Are those 2 center channel speakers side by side under the tv?

Kitarist

I'm more curious how does Topping PA5 perform against SMSL AO200 and similar amps in terms of soundstage as Class D amps are known to have much smaller soundstage.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Compared with the A07 - which is what the discussion was about - it is the same power.

If it hasn't enough power for your application then fine - unless you are underdriving the inputs by only sending 2V from an unbalanced connection to a balanced input that expects 4V. Then you are misapplying the amp.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I'm more curious how does Topping PA5 perform against SMSL AO200 and similar amps in terms of soundstage as Class D amps are known to have much smaller soundstage.
Really? What characteristic of Class D do you think impacts the soundstage? Why do you think that?

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ive written about a direct comparison to the DA9 a couple of pages back

Redheart

and you can keep getting fed up. It is NOT POSSIBLE that the PA5 is under powered compared to the A07 as mentioned. That is the topic being discussed here, nothing more nothing less
Not about the A07 at all in my complain. PA05 in itself is OK as a desktop amp. But not for living room.

Top Bottom