• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

UAN

About 0.1mW into 8Ω / 0.2mW into 4Ω

Is that a problem? I've no idea what is typical for an audio amp.

EDIT: My pioneer AVR is measuring 37mV DC with no input.
I believe that 30 mV is a lot.
Ayim 07 has only 5 mV.
You have 0.1 mV that's very good.

Klint

Are there any issues running just 1 of the 2 channels for my center speaker?
Cheers

bsas

Purifi sounds better? Yeah, probably. Hypex outperforms it? Possible. A07 sounds better? Check what is wrong with your PA5 because that is not even possible. And I own the A07 with several PSUs. Not even close.

That is exactly my thinking before buying it. I was expecting the Purifi to be better, but the A07 surprised me.

The problem here is defining “better”. The PA5 is cleaner and noise free, A07 is not. But, the bass on the PA5 is very subdued and weak compared to the A07…

Again, I don’t think it’s “bad” or “wrong”. I honestly think it’s just a matter of wattage (power). Like some else already stated, Amir measured 48W at 8 ohms. The A07 if I am not mistaken was measured at 70W or more, right?

bsas

So if you are not giving the amp enough volts, (presumably from an unbalanced connection) you can't say it is underpowered - only that you are not driving it properly.

I am feeding it with plenty voltage from measured (2Vrms or more) balance sources, including the Topping E50 itself.

mario_rouge

That is exactly my thinking before buying it. I was expecting the Purifi to be better, but the A07 surprised me.

The problem here is defining “better”. The PA5 is cleaner and noise free, A07 is not. But, the bass on the PA5 is very subdued and weak compared to the A07…

Again, I don’t think it’s “bad” or “wrong”. I honestly think it’s just a matter of wattage (power). Like some else already stated, Amir measured 48W at 8 ohms. The A07 if I am not mistaken was measured at 70W or more, right?
61 watt

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I believe that 30 mV is a lot.
Ayim 07 has only 5 mV.
You have 0.1 mV that's very good.
No, I have 37mV from my AVR - that is 0.13mW into 8ohm.

I don't have a PA5 to measure. I was just pointing out that 30mV is only about 0.1mW. I can't see that being an issue.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I am feeding it with plenty voltage from measured (2Vrms or more) balance sources, including the Topping E50 itself.
Right - you stated 2V. But the PA5 needs 2.6V to deliver full power. If 2.6V is 50W, then your 2V is only going to output 60% of the power - so 30W

bsas

Right - you stated 2V. But the PA5 needs 2.6V to deliver full power. If 2.6V is 50W, then your 2V is only going to output 60% of the power - so 30W

Wait, but what is the output on the Topping E50? 2Vrms? If so, that probably explains why it is far better when I add an preamp to boost the signal to more than 2Vrms?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wait, but what is the output on the Topping E50? 2Vrms? If so, that probably explains why it is far better when I add an preamp to boost the signal to more than 2Vrms?
Not RMS, DC. You are confused.

bsas

Not RMS, DC. You are confused.

OK, I am confused. On Apos website here are the specs:

Topping E50:
SE: Output level: 2Vrms @0dBFS
Balanced: Output level: 4Vrms @0dBFS

PA5: Input sensitivity: 2.6 Vrms

So, in theory, using the E50 balanced outputs to the PA5 inputs should be even MORE than it can handle (it should actually distort, right, and give even more than 50W but with a higher THD).

What I am missing?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, I am confused. On Apos website here are the specs:

Topping E50:
SE: Output level: 2Vrms @0dBFS
Balanced: Output level: 4Vrms @0dBFS

PA5: Input sensitivity: 2.6 Vrms

So, in theory, using the E50 balanced outputs to the PA5 inputs should be even MORE than it can handle (it should actually distort, right, and give even more than 50W but with a higher THD).

What I am missing?
I'm sorry I am the one who is confused. I thought you were talking about the DC offset other posters were talking about. Please ignore my post.

Klint

Has anybody measured the amp, one channel only?
Would be interesting to se.
Power and thd-n.

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Wow just got mine hooked up to my 1979 B&W 801f , the first model with 12 in woofers and I believe 86 ish sensitivity.
gustard x16 dac
streaming tidal only.
room 14x14 9 foot ceilings
5 windows and a flatscreen in the room. So I pull down the shade to soften things a bit.

JUST FOR LAUGHS….

I can tell you right off Amirm got so much wrong on this review and we should think twice about his logic from now on…what were you thinking.

1. this device make you USE separate banana plugs, now what do I do with all my standard size combo banana plugs, not very green

2. No mention of the lack of cool lights and meters, large heat sinks or tube guards so you don’t burn yourself. heck do you thing we listen to music for the sound. How to I impress other dudes with this little thing, hardly envy generating equipment. The music always sounds better when no one else can afford it.

3. No remote. Humph…now what do I do with all the extra time I spend looking for the remotes, we retired guys need a purpose to fill our days, not to mention all the Costco batteries we stockpile just in case. You call this fun.

4. And now don’t get me started on all the stereo furniture I had to talk the wife into for making my equipment presentable…my whole system now fits on a cigar box, anyone old enough to rem those. And my 3000 dollar iso therm demagnetized feet are now under my wife’s tea pots in case of earthquakes…what were you thinking by passing this as hifi.

anyway happy new year to all

and rem the code of the audiophile “If you can’t hear the difference it’s because your system(manhood) is not good enough.”

yeah that’s it down by the penguin. Feel my shame…
image.jpg

Top Bottom