• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That goofy balanced RCA one-off Khadas tried to use

Personally I am zero fan of TS/TRS, and the example here is partly why - there are a bazillion cables out there of random quality and configuration, especially once you start including adapters - but I can see why Topping uses them here / on the E50. I'd also prefer XLR. I'm actually surprised there's been few complaints of the adapters not fitting on the back / the weight of the adapters pulling this little amp around. I use decent quality TRS-> XLR cables to attach my E50 to my balanced amp and I have to practically sticky-tape the boxes down.

That's the thing, these tiny little project box products can't even support a decent bunch of connectors on the back before being pulled off the desk/table/rack and tumbling down the back onto the floor!

Give me real HiFi anyday, stuff that doesn't necessarily come with bits of double sided tape in the box to hold it down. ;)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
That's the thing, these tiny little project box products can't even support a decent bunch of connectors on the back before being pulled off the desk/table/rack and tumbling down the back onto the floor!

Give me real HiFi anyday, stuff that doesn't necessarily come with bits of double sided tape in the box to hold it down. ;)
That is possibly the main advantage of a big box with a huge toroid in it. :)

Paco De Lucia

If your unit is being dragged around the desktop by interconnects, you're probably spending too much money on interconnects

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I guess that these little Class D amps are perfect for desktops where space is at a premium and you are listening near-field whilst doing stuff on your computer. Can't say I would want one for anything else though. Had a Topping TP60 when they first appeared. Sounded ok at low SPLs but quickly started to distort badly and then shut down, even with very sensitive speakers. Not for me unfortunately.

Reactions: pma

Paco De Lucia

I guess that these little Class D amps are perfect for desktops where space is at a premium and you are listening near-field whilst doing stuff on your computer. Can't say I would want one for anything else though. Had a Topping TP60 when they first appeared. Sounded ok at low SPLs but quickly started to distort badly and then shut down, even with very sensitive speakers. Not for me unfortunately.
The PA5 works fine for me as my main system amp. SPL adequate, and no distortion. Size has no bearing. Why build something unnecessarily large for psychological reasons ? (says the man with massive speakers lol sorry)

Last edited:

Paco De Lucia

Papaya_X

Some people that already received their PA5 could open it in order to check if the build quality is better that what we already observed please ?

Firespeed

Hi everyone !

Some people that already received their PA5 could open it in order to check if the build quality is better that what we already observed please ?

If all goes well, I will receive mine tomorrow, with the E50 DAC and proper TRS cables. I'll report here my experience (subjectively and modestly, because I'm not as expert as you are all !!! ) ;)

The PA5 works fine for me as my main system amp. SPL adequate, and no distortion.

Same for me, will be my main system and will replace the Loxjie A30 witch is a transition step...

Why build something unnecessarily large for psychological reasons ? (says the man with massive speakers lol sorry)
You' re damn right !!! But nobody walks at the same speed and there are many paths...you can get lost and there is nothing wrong with that.

Some people still want big and heavy elements in relation to the budget spent, even if technology and progress show us that this is no longer the case. Perceived quality is not (or no longer) an assurance of effective quality. Being pragmatic and factual is more difficult when talking about money and perceived quality.Some manufacturers have understood this and I myself have been fooled (by my own stupidity or ignorance and the ingenuity of the salesmen). It flatters the ego and no one should be blamed for that. You learn much more from your mistakes than from your successes! Fortunately, this forum and this site exist; Amir and the community provide eye-openers if one is willing to do so.

;)

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Indeed, I guess I would say so...
But if you don't need a ton of power it is pretty damn good for the price, I reckon...
Though I buy second hand and have got some amazing deals on very good classA and A/B power amps over the years.
Plus I play my music loud.

My AVR, a Pioneer SC-LX86 is class D, so I am not anti-classD by any means...

Last edited:

Klint

Indeed, I guess I would say so.
But if you don't need a ton of power it is pretty damn good for the price, I reckon...
I have more or less decided to buy since i have a sensitive speaker, but this one keeps coming back, then again maybe there are no alternatives.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
Harmonics above 6.67 kHz are inaudible. Even 5 kHz -100 or so dB no one would gear. So that is pretty good for listening, mediocre only academically.
Nonlienearity at frequencies up to 20 kHz create difference intermodulation tones in audio band that are situated at subtraction of two frequencies or more complex in case of more frequencies. You cannot oversimplify the way you did. This amp’s high frequency linearity is poor. It is not true that distortion measurements have to be made only with 20 kHz BW. Lot of poor understanding may be seen in these non professional discussions.

Klint

Harmonics above 6.67 kHz are inaudible. Even 5 kHz -100 or so dB no one would gear. So that is pretty good for listening, mediocre only academically.

Thanks, for input, should not be a problem.

Klint

Nonlienearity at frequencies up to 20 kHz create difference intermodulation tones in audio band that are situated at subtraction of two frequencies or more complex in case of more frequencies. You cannot oversimplify the way you did. This amp’s high frequency linearity is poor. It is not true that distortion measurements have to be made only with 20 kHz BW. Lot of poor understanding may be seen in these non professional discussions.

Count me in for the lack of understanding. Do as best i can.

Top Bottom