• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

KSTR

Major Contributor
Amp has been opened, heatsink removed, chip identified. It's all in this thread ;-)
Update: Chip identification went wrong, it's not what the marking on the chip seemed to indicate. The main marking has been sanded off and another marking that happened to be similar (but not exactly matching) to the TAS5613 main marking was used as a wrong clue.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
According to JohnYang1997, practical (short term?) Is about 8A.
The AC adapter official specification 4A may be a continuous output guarantee value including strict conditions such as industrial use. Especially the temperature.
Of course, I think it is better to avoid continuous output for several hours at 4A or higher.
Perhaps the temperature of the amplifier will be the first limit.

Then it can deliver those peaks. But this also means that the continuous output in two channels is half of the claimed values. Still ok of course, as I said I believe this is all-in-all a jewel, but we should not compare it to a Purifi 1ET400A or a Benchmark AHB2, less of all claim it "beats" the Purifi at anything.

Hiten

I find it hard to pick between a PA5 and Hypex NC252NP amp. It's not much more $ to get a Buckeye or Audiophonics... and there's way more power. SINAD, close enough. Also the new IcePower 200AS2 board looks interesting.
Hypex I think has DC protection and Current limiting. Important if speakers are expensive. An old school way of doing things. I guess we will soon get info about PA5 in this matter.
Regards.

ogonex

I also read TI TAS5613A...
you read it wrong. jlester clearly wrote that the power and output did not match the TAS5613A

"On the picture of the chip used, you can clearly see the pinout of xVDD supplies, the IO and ground pins as well as other components. The circuit is pin by pin compatible with TPA325X.

If you replace it with TAS5613 it will go into flames since PVDD supply and speaker out pins are different.

You need to find another chip that is pin by pin compatible with TPA325X because the board pinout and PCB trace is for TPA325X."
Jlester

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will I hear that noise? Not sure? Will the NC252MP give me more dynamics, bass slam... ? likely will. Could filter the lows out of the PA5, then the Pa5 likely wins in performance. splitting hair I know. When the volume is cranked, which one is going to be silent in between tracks. Has that been figured out and confirmed subjectively too?
I have a Buckeye 252MP and I can tell you it is dead silent. There is zero hiss or noise at full volume through F208's.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Then it can deliver those peaks. But this also means that the continuous output in two channels is half of the claimed values. Still ok of course, as I said I believe this is all-in-all a jewel, but we should not compare it to a Purifi 1ET400A or a Benchmark AHB2, less of all claim it "beats" the Purifi at anything.
There is no point in an amp being able to deliver it's full rated power continuously. There is no way of doing that with music unless you accept horrendous distortion.

Which means you will be paying for significantly more cooling than you need.

UAN

The new PA5 is packed with topping research results.
This is to prevent it from being easily copied. Such measures are natural for a company.
The secret of the chip is already known ... In our time of information technology, it is stupid to make a secret out of it.

pma

Major Contributor
Which means you will be paying for significantly more cooling than you need.
... and it also means you get more years or decades of reliable function. Depends what you are seeking for. If it is a toy which you need to change every 6 months to be "in" on the social network, then these small undersized boxes are the way to go.

Reactions: 777
Top Bottom