• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Compare VS the pictures shared previoulsy ) makes sense lol
How about you understand what I am hinting at :rolleyes::p:D **

Now you're going to make me look like a pedantic dick while I spell it out. Never mind, I'll do it anyway. Perhaps I am a pedantic git. :eek::D

You're message was in reply to a post from Klint asking how he will know if the amp he buys is the same as the one Amir measured. If you don't compare your amp to the one Amir measured, you can't know if yours is the same as his.

** - sorry, I'm not getting at you, just a bit of fun. I know you are not native English speaker, it is my responsibility to make myself sufficiently clear.

ceausuc

I think Topping has used the best output inductors available (same as what I use on my commercial TPA3255 amp). These four inductors alone cost $24 (in quantity) and clearly, there are about 8 premium opamps at about $4ea so another $32 there. So I see at least $56 in upgraded parts and if we add the 4 gang pot, two high quality relays, four TRS jacks, two MOSFETs for remote power switch, I see another $30 in components. So we are at $80. Typical markup for retail is at least 3x so $240.

If normal markup is 3x, does this mean that Aiyma A07 is ~ 20usd in parts? It seems so... low...

Labjr

Major Contributor
Too bad the schematic diagram wasn't stuck inside of the cover like the old days. :D

Now they probably wouldn't bother applying for a patent since it may disclose technical detail.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
If normal markup is 3x, does this mean that Aiyma A07 is ~ 20usd in parts? It seems so... low...
You'd be surprised how low the BOM cost is for volume manufature when you have a competent global procurement team. Bear in mind though you also have to pay for a factory and workforce to put these things together. Typically with this type of technology you could expect manufacturing cost to be similar to the total Bom cost.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The only question I'd have would be whether this amp has sufficient power for far-field listening with somewhat inefficient speakers played at levels above 85-90 SPL. Personally I don't even care as I don't listen at levels above that
If my math is right, the PA5 delivers 3.47 dB dB less (clean) output than the Benchmark AHB2 into 4Ω:

Python:
>>> from math import log
>>> (log(185)/log(2) - log(83)/log(2))*3

That's not a huge difference. Assuming your amplifier is similar to the AHB2, if it can drive your speakers to a few dB above 90 dB, measured from your listening position, the PA5 has enough power to play them 85 - 90 dB.

I've found this on-line SPL calculator to be reasonably reliable: http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html
Given worst-case conditions (8Ω speakers with 85 dB sensitivity 15 ft away with no room gain), levels above 90 dB are possible. Adding room gain will give you some headroom…not a ton, but perhaps enough, depending on your music tastes.

Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 9.49.51 AM.png

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Perhaps this is where Topping needs to concentrate their efforts.
That is not possible to draw any conclusion on. We have no idea what topping are actually paying for their material.

Destination: Moon

Screw it, its only 350, (i can get of for 335), one of the best we've got and I will grab one to compare it to my DA-9. Its ugly as sin though but I dont care. Its 350 and not 3500, stop being cheap or just get a damn A07 and play marbles in a corner.

I was wondering this exact question. Could anyone reliably identify it in a blind test? Please let us know

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps this is where Topping needs to concentrate their efforts.

1. What makes you think they're not already?

2. Why suggest increased price/procurement efficiency from the manufacturer that appears to have produced the lowest-priced power amp ever to have this level of performance?

Last edited:

alekksander

i want to buy this despite not having passive speakers. all the best to topping, can't wait to see what the future will bring!

If only the original ring on black version was white… luckily Chinese market is ready to fix poor design choices.
IMG_20211205_213345 (1).jpg

my l30 with changed volume knob (15,5mm width, out of 16mm available). does wonders with sound too!

Last edited:

xrk971

Audio Company
The lower priced a product is, the less markup. So maybe 2x on a $60 amp. But that’s all business strategy - sometimes a company will sell something at break even or loss to make a statement that they are capable of greatness and this defines the company image. For example, think Acura NSX’s are sold at a loss (even at $170k ea).

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No. Never.
Sorry-was speaking of the Sylph amplifier, not the Topping.

I must say that row of inductors looks pretty lined up that way. :) I should note that the company is an ODM (white label designer) for other companies and is located in Philippines.

jzpchen

I am anxiously waiting for my PA5 to arrive. It will replace my excellent Bryston 3B ST with a buzzing transformer. I am confident PA5 will be a better amp overall to drive my PSB Stratus Silver in my small listening room. Thanks Topping for making such a gem in a small package and affordable price point. I have collected 4 Topping products so far.

Having said that, recently, I started play with REW and Dirac. Looking at the measurements, I am not sure if it matters much if a DAC/Amp is excellent in terms of flat frequency response and low distortion. The speaker and room have so much unevenness in frequency response and distortion. It seems to me a DAC/Amp with 3% frequency response curve and 0.1% DAC/Amp distortion is more than enough for my case. In the attached REW measurement, the speaker/room frequency response is in 15% range and 3rd harmonic distortion is 0.5%. Did I miss something? I know better is better. I will lean towards excellently engineered products. I am just curious what level of emphasize on DAC/Amp in the audio delivery chain.

Attachments

• Image 12-5-21 at 1.43 PM.jpeg
    Image 12-5-21 at 1.43 PM.jpeg
    671.9 KB · Views: 124

gvl

Major Contributor
1. What makes you think they're not already?

2. Why suggest increased price/procurement efficiency from the manufacturer that appears to have produced the lowest-priced power amp ever to have this level of performance?

That was not meant to be taken literally, just grumpy about PA5 pricing.

Top Bottom