• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can someone explain what can we see on this graph and what does "Yes, there is rise in higher frequencies but we are starting at such a low baseline that this is exaggerated compared to other amplifiers." mean?

index.php

I currently use a IcePower 125ASX2 amp and my biggest problem with it is the same graph:
index.php

Or alternately the same graph from the spec sheet:

View attachment 170875

I looked at Class AB reviews of AHB2 and Modulus 286 and those graphs were not made. Is this something which is only "bad" with Class D? Should I be concerned about it?
It’s amp specific ofcourse but class D has the most issues with it. With the ICE the distortion is not controled not at even at 1W while with the topping it’s incredibly low at 1W.

1W is where the amp will stay 99% of the time.

Kaval

6. Regarding the sound quality that is most worrisome, I compared it with PA3s, AO200, A20a, and AIYIMA A07/A04, but PA5 produces a different dimension of sound from these amplifiers.
The energy of the mid-low range, the transparency of the high range, and the resolution are improved. It sounds like an upgraded version of the highly acclaimed MA12070 chip amp. The first thing I felt when I heard the sound of PA5 was the size of the sound stage. When you hear this sound, you are satisfied with the price of PA5. However, how you feel the sound varies from person to person, so please understand it for reference only.
Could you rank PA5 vis-à-vis AO200, Aiyima A07/04 in terms of your SQ preferences?

Toku

Major Contributor
This is what happens when external power supplies are used. What happens if you pull the two pin connection on the back of the amp itself?

Traditional amplifiers use AC detection to immediately mute on power interuption. The classic NEC UPC-1237HA or the Toshiba TA-7317P ICs have been used for the best part of 40 years to do that, along with DC protection, overpower, short circuit
Unplugging the metal DC plug on the back panel has the same symptoms as unplugging the AC plug.
However, instead of pop noise, noise similar to hiss noise appears for a moment.

Papaya_X

After hearing the sound of PA5, I don't need any amplifiers other than PA3s anymore. Am I a little overstated?
Sounds really good, that seems a really good performance to do better than Merus chip with a TPA325X

DanielT

Major Contributor
Sounds really good, that seems a really good performance to do better than Merus chip with a TPA325X
Interesting!

Which speaker do you use? Speakers that have .. Ohm? Sensitivity?:)

By the way, please all of you who will now tell about your listening impressions of PA5 tell what you use for speakers for it.And if you have speakers with high power / SPL, feel free to try turning the volume really high and then tell how you think PA5 sounds.A little tested with it when it is accelerated on the rally track, so to speak.:p

Last edited:

TheWalkman

Amp has been opened, heatsink removed, chip identified. It's all in this thread ;-)

And, no sane manufacturer would ever give away internals and there is zero reason why they should. This is not a public domain design.
I was being sarcastic (but don’t tell @JohnYang, o.k?)

Papaya_X

Interesting!

Which speaker do you use? Speakers that have .. Ohm? Sensitivity?:)

By the way, please all of you who will now tell about your listening impressions of PA5 tell what you use for speakers for it.And if you have speakers with high power / SPL, feel free to try turning the volume really high and then tell how you think PA5 sounds.A little tested with it when it is accelerated on the rally track, so to speak.:p
I didn't receive my unit yet ! Soon hopefully but I'm currently using Wharfedale diamond 9.1

SaltyCDogg

I'm amazed that John was able to read through 81 pages of this critique of his work and still have some sanity remaining. Maybe it helps that he's an electrical engineer, none of the musicians I know could do it and not just be a sobbing mess in the corner, even though most of it is praise.

Lambda

Major Contributor
Amp has been opened, heatsink removed, chip identified. It's all in this thread ;-)

And, no sane manufacturer would ever give away internals and there is zero reason why they should. This is not a public domain design.
Not so long ago they all did...
Many high end products or specialized products still do.

and commented on how it sounds!
Now this is some real useless information why would you want to here this? i thought this is audiosciencereview where data is king..
If i want to read subjektive listening test impressions from guys with there new toys i would go to *other hifi forum*

MarkWinston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Many high end products or specialized products still do.

Now this is some real useless information why would you want to here this? i thought this is audiosciencereview where data is king..
If i want to read subjektive listening test impressions from guys with there new toys i would go to *other hifi forum*
We already know all the data we need to know, now we potential buyers would like to hear what owners think in comparison with other amps they own. I for one would like to know does it sound like an upgraded A07 or something more similiar to the DA9/AO200. Yes, this is ASR, where Amir includes a subjective test in all his reviews.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Of course we had, and still have, service manuals but those never were public domain during the active period of the products, you had to order and pay for them and sometimes even sign an NDA or they were only available to registered qualified personnel (for all good reasons).

Top Bottom