• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks a lot.
I read in Amir’s review that the sensitivity of the Kef LS50 Meta is 93db instead of the 95db stated in the specs.
Where do you get these numbers. Both are way off. Real sensitivity is about 84 dB at 2.83v at 1m. Which is to be expected from a small speaker with this kind of bass extension.

TNT

Can be and it's switching frequency may end up in the audio range :)

//

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well, it is not a switcher, that's what counts.

I'm not sure how how much that actually "counts," but yes, "it is not a switcher," but more of an elaborate "tracker" design -- an idea pioneered by Bob Carver decades ago, but vastly improved upon by Benchmark. That said, aside from power, the PA5 is awfully close in measurable performance and, going by Amir, it's audibly impressive too -- despite being "a switcher" built around an off-the-shelf Class D chip.

Mark

Where do you get these numbers. Both are way off. Real sensitivity is about 84 dB at 2.83v at 1m. Which is to be expected from a small speaker with this kind of bass extension.
You’re right. It’s 83db, not 93db. Sorry for the typo.

Do you think the Topping PA5 will be able to drive the Kef LS50 Meta?
It’s for listening in my kitchen at not really loud volume.

DS23MAN

Will be more than enough. Used to play with Kef Carlton speakers on a 2x 20 watt in my teens, loud enough to get my neighbours complaining....

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You’re right. It’s 83db, not 93db. Sorry for the typo.

Do you think the Topping PA5 will be able to drive the Kef LS50 Meta?
It’s for listening in my kitchen at not really loud volume.
NTK already answered your question. It'll be fine.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Will be more than enough. Used to play with Kef Carlton speakers on a 2x 20 watt in my teens, loud enough to get my neighbours complaining....
I had managed to play loud enough with a 2x5 W mini tube amp and disturb the neighbors.:)
Edit
The neighbor then a sensitive whiny bit..

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. AP AUX040 is used.
How much does this affect the comparison of noise level with the AHB2 where the filter is not used? Looking at A weighted numbers (Soundstage for AHB2 and L7Audiolab for PA5) it looks like the Benchmark has a couple/few dB lower noise.
AHB2: 11uV (A-weighted, 23dB gain)
PA5: 14uV (A-weighted, 19dB gain)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
This:

1638697596026.png

Goodness knows what AP charged for it, likely a kidney.

Holmz

Major Contributor
I didn't read the whole thread, so thanks for pointing to that. However XRK is based in DC, so his assessment can be a bit skewed considering Topping is a fully Chinese operation.

Biased would have been a better choice of words than skewed IMO.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
How much does this affect the comparison of noise level with the AHB2 where the filter is not used? Looking at A weighted numbers (Soundstage for AHB2 and L7Audiolab for PA5) it looks like the Benchmark has a couple/few dB lower noise.

What is the bandwidth for the Soundstage noise measurement?

At the end of the day, I personally believe you can't have one topology getting an outboard brickwall filter and another being disadvantaged by not having the same filter, especially with some Class ABs having SMPSs powering them, they end up being disadvantaged if they are measured 'wide open'.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Aha, it goes up to 40 kHz. Do you not need to get up to 80 kHz when measuring class D amplifiers?:)
I have in mind that I read it somewhere. Do not know if it's true.
Flat response is to 40 kHz. Actual bandwidth is over 200 khz.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the bandwidth for the Soundstage noise measurement?

At the end of the day, I personally believe you can't have one topology getting an outboard brickwall filter and another being disadvantaged by not having the same filter, especially with some Class ABs having SMPSs powering them, they end up being disadvantaged if they are measured 'wide open'.
For bandwidth I thought defined by the A-weighting. Would there be more to it?

On the disadvantage, that's what I am wondering. I don't think it's wide open but still not apples to apples. 20Hz-20KHz bandwidth on the one case, and 20Hz-20KHz plus AUX040 on the other, if I understand correctly.

Calleberg

For bandwidth I thought defined by the A-weighting. Would there be more to it?

On the disadvantage, that's what I am wondering. I don't think it's wide open but still not apples to apples. 20Hz-20KHz bandwidth on the one case, and 20Hz-20KHz plus AUX040 on the other, if I understand correctly.

In the link you posted you gave part of the answer where the PA5 is measured at 5W 8 Ohm with both 20 and 80kHz BW. But measuring a switcher at 80kHz is going to make it look worse than it is, if at all possible to measure. 20kHz is obviously going to make them look way better than they are. 40kHz I dont know but a standard 19+20kHz IM measurement would make the BW thing a moot point, I think

Top Bottom