• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

honn

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Topping PA5 stereo desktop amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $349.

PA5 enclosure looks like their standard DACs and such:

View attachment 168483

Hard to imagine that an amplifier can fit in the same size but here we are. There are large slots for cooling on the bottom and sides which worked well to keep the unit cool during testing.

Back panel shows dual inputs which is nice:

View attachment 168484

The beefy power supply reminds me what used to come with large gaming laptops. It is rated at 38 volts and 4 amps. In use, its temperature did not even rise above room temperature so I imagine it has good bit of headroom. Connection is a secure, screw on, two pin din style which I much prefer to flimsy barrel connectors used in many desktop amps.

Back to inputs, they are TRS balanced input which is fine by me. If you don't have such balanced cables, you can either use an adapter or get an XLR to TRS cable which is what I use. The compact form factor of these allowed it to have two such inputs instead of just one.

Speaker binding posts are the usual small ones on desktops but here they are spread apart thankfully which gets rid of 90% of the aggravation of inserting my large, locking banana plugs into them.

Note that there is no remote and volume control is the traditional one (not rotary). So if you need a remote, you should use a DAC with such and leave the amp with fixed volume.

Topping PA5 Measurements
As usual, we start with our dashboard:
View attachment 168485

Wow, it has been a long time since I have seen such great SINAD score. Rounding it, it lands at 106 which puts it second in a list of over 160 amplifiers tested to date!

View attachment 168551

Typical desktop budget amp struggles to get in the green. The better ones are in the upper half of the green. The PA5 is not only in blue but almost at the top of it. This is incredible achievement.

Yes, there is a bit of "cheating" going on in the form of low gain of 19 dB. Benchmark AHB2 which landed on top used the same. In practice, this is not a problem at all since max power was achieved at 2.5 volt which is well within the 4 volt range of balanced DACs.

And this is one extremely quiet amplifier:
View attachment 168487

My standard at 5 watts is 96 dB or 16 bits of dynamic range. PA5 sails past that to 18 bits or 107 dB. Just remarkable. Many amps can't even get to 96 dB. At full power, it clears 20 bits of dynamic range which means even then the noise it produces is below threshold of hearing.

Multitone test shows some distortion rise with frequency but still remarkably low:

View attachment 168543

I am always nervous running the frequency response test on class D amplifiers, worrying that their output filter interacts with the load and cause audibility issues. That was a worry for not:

View attachment 168491

Yes, there is some variation but the design has made sure that happens a) in ultrasonics and b) with very low amplitude of change. We can see the reason for this in wideband FFT spectrum analysis:

View attachment 168492

Class D amps usually run at a frequency of 300 to 400 kHz. PA5 pushes this up to 600 kHz. This gives the output filter more room to roll off the response where its ringing is above audible band. Unrelated, we also see a super clean spectrum here. None of the usual messiness is here which we even see in high-end class D amps. Attenuation of the switching frequency is almost 40 db and not the usual 10 to 20 dB.

Crosstalk is extremely low:
View attachment 168501

Considering how tiny this package is, I am so pleasantly surprised to see this level of performance.

Despite the tiny package, we have good bit of power into 4 ohm:

View attachment 168544

Allowing for 1% distortion, the available power naturally goes up even more:
View attachment 168497

Naturally switching to 8 ohm, cuts the power:

View attachment 168498

But notice how the PA5 matches and slightly outperforms the noise level of our current class D champ, the Purifi.

Sweeping the frequency vs power and distortion we get:

View attachment 168502

We usually do not get curves that point down this much. This happens when distortion is so low that noise dominates. So very good showing there. Yes, there is rise in higher frequencies but we are starting at such a low baseline that this is exaggerated compared to other amplifiers.

Topping PA5 Speaker Listening Tests
I am confident of the transparency of this amplifier with respect to noise and distortion. However, I was curious how far its power goes. So I hooked up the PA5 to my Infinity Reference 253 speaker. I must stay, I was not prepared for the level of impact, fidelity and overall quality of the sound. The PA5 grabbed the ears of this speaker and pulled it any direction music asked it to like nobody's business! There was thundering bass. Superb high frequency and ability to fill my space despite only playing one speaker. It was hard to imagine this little amplifier powering this speaker so beautifully.

Conclusions
It is abundantly clear that ton of great engineering has gone into the design of Topping PA5. It breaks all barriers as far as noise and distortion, not only in its own budget/desktop class, but way, way outside of that. If it had double the power, it would obsolete all of them and in a hurry! As it is, I would certainly use it in a desktop or secondary system. And even primary if you are not going to blast the volume with super inefficient speakers.

It is my absolute pleasure to recommend the Topping PA5. The dynamics of stereo amplifier market just changed folks!

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Wow, finally! Would this be enough to sufficiently drive my Elac Debut Reference DBR62 in medium size room? Does it make sense to replace my XTZ Edge A-300 with the PA5? It seems like the XTZ can produce twice the amount of power, but certainly PA5 produces cleaner although lower power..

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sure but stuff like Sub out is pretty basic stuff, and in many cases a must. Do you know a Balanced DAC that offer that? I'd say it would make sense to add functionalities to DACS, add DSP, an analog or two ins, but who does it? Definitely not Topping. Seams like you either have full fledge AV receivers that offer too much but and perform poorly, or completely nude and raw stuff like this amp. I'm OK with the power part being separated, I think it makes sense it's got a very specific job but then we want great pre upstream and the offer is very weak if we compare to the multitude of straight up DACS that all does the same thing.
Not sure about it making sense financially, but I would certainly like to see it (although to me, a sub out with no high pass for the mains provides little benefit over Y-cables except for neater wiring).

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
E8D42F20-00F8-4C96-AADF-E40C8BD4CB37.jpeg
There is a picture of some of the internals of the PA5 on an ecommerce site. Interestingly, there is a potted unit with the Topping name on it.

GWolfman

Forum Donor
So if my output is an AVR at roughly 0.7V, what can I do? I'd hate to give up all that headroom. Any good/cheap preamps with enough gain to offset this?

F1308

Major Contributor
But you don't count. As an objectivist you must clearly be biased. ;)
He shouldn't.
Imagine we are testing a wine.
Now, what ?
Now we should very respectfully consider the opinion of true, proven experts.

Holmz

Major Contributor
Most 8ohm speakers specially those having bigger bass drivers can even dip below 4ohm and some even upto 2ohm. Higher output impedance will have difficulty in driving lower impedance (dynamic or on dynamic) loads just like you can't start your car with 8xAA batteries.

i am still struggling…
Even if we say an 8 ohm dips to 2 ohms, how does the amplifiers output impedance affect that?

If is was I*(R+r) then we have 2.1 versus 3 ohms.

What am I missing?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i am still struggling…
Even if we say an 8 ohm dips to 2 ohms, how does the amplifiers output impedance affect that?

What am I missing?
The amp's output impedance and the speaker impedance form a voltage divider in the simplest sense of the stuff. Do I need to explain a voltage divider? :D

Calleberg

View attachment 169272There is a picture of some of the internals of the PA5 on an ecommerce site. Interestingly, there is a potted unit with the Topping name on it.
What´s your E-mail? I have a distant relative in North East Africa that just inherited 50 million dollars, he needs YOUR help to transfer the money to his account in the Cayman Islands, of course there is a hefty premium in it for YOU...

My point, There is NO WAY that picture shows the real deal, but if you really thought so, my African friend is very interested in getting in touch with you... :)

Last edited:

aj625

i am still struggling…

What am I missing?
Speakers load is not static. It poses different load for different frequencies. Generally for bass region the impedance is low. ( Try looking to frequency vs impedance curves of speakers ) when load impedance is less and output impedance is high then there you don't get much voltage to push current in load for those frequencies where the load impedance is low. So you won't get enough bass.

Reactions: pma

pma

Major Contributor
What am I missing?

A simple fact that speaker is a complex impedance and not the resistor. In other words, you are missing phase response. A combination of average impedance magnitude (your resistor considerations) with high phase angle like capacitive -45° to -60° leads to extreme current draw from the amplifier output and also may lead to stability issues. Below you may see that the complex load with impedance magnitude above 6 ohm means much heavier load for the amp than those 6 ohm, in particular frequency intervals.

dummy_load_EPDR2.png

F1308

Major Contributor
Ordered in silver.
351,91€ from Audiophonics and delivered at street shop.
Incoming restock 09 - 16 December.
Yupiiii.

misterdog

Sure but stuff like Sub out is pretty basic stuff, and in many cases a must. Do you know a Balanced DAC that offer that? I'd say it would make sense to add functionalities to DACS, add DSP, an analog or two ins, but who does it? Definitely not Topping. Seams like you either have full fledge AV receivers that offer too much but and perform poorly, or completely nude and raw stuff like this amp. I'm OK with the power part being separated, I think it makes sense it's got a very specific job but then we want great pre upstream and the offer is very weak if we compare to the multitude of straight up DACS that all does the same thing.

Just use an XLR Y cable splitter from the pre, one leg to the Sub one to the main power amp.

I use just such with a MiniDSP plate amp powering 2 subs giving me full DSP control of the subs from my laptop.

Or most DACs with both XLR and RCA outputs can out from both so XLR to the main amp and RCA to your subs.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a simplified semi-equivalent voltage divider circuit of your amp impedance (ZS) and the speaker impedance (ZL). As the speaker impedance changes so does the amp output impedance so there are 2 reactive impedances occurring simultaneously. Does this info help in any way?
v divider.png

Top Bottom