• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
so, studio monitor speakers should be also good for every purpose? :)

Yes, of course. A low distortion, flat response loudspeaker guarantees you a basis of high fidelity to the input signal, and if you prefer to color the sound you can always do so if the distortion allows you some leeway.
I have speakers that don't have a flat frequency response, do I like them? Yes, are they classified as "high fidelity"? No.
I don't understand why a lover of sonic purity would want anything other than a neutral response.
I prefer some colors, I'm aware of it and I live with it, but I also know it's Myfi, not Hifi.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Transducers are completely different beasts than electronics.

No speaker is good for every purpose, but studio monitors has no restrictions that make them unfit for home audio, IMO.

Talisman

Forum Donor
Unfortunately, sometimes I think we tend to confuse the concept of pleasantness with that of high fidelity. The same master can be equalized to make it more exciting, more pleasant, perhaps less acidic, perhaps with rounder bass. But high fidelity is not synonymous with pleasure. The speakers of a system that we want to define as high fidelity must only reproduce the music as closely as possible to how it was mastered. This can sometimes result in a duller sound, or harsher, or drier or a thousand other things, but they are the characteristics of the recording, they are not embellishments of the speaker.

Walter

If they are ACCURATE studio monitors--which many like the old Yamahas are not--and you are using them on axis, then yes, as long as by "good" you mean they accurately reproduce the sound. If they have limited and uneven dispersion and you want to listen off axis, or in some other way are unsuitable for the room, then no.

iLoveCats

Finally got a replacement PA5 from Apos via China. Looks identical. I measured the temperature of the inside through the vent holes and it is similar to the one that quit on me. I'm leaving it on 24/7. The broken one was about 82 degrees F. The new one is 81 degrees F. The new ones temperature feels consistent all over the case when you handle it.

armaster

Hi, today I found strange behaviour in left output. I noticed that left output is louder than right. I also noticed loud pop only in left output when I turn amp on. I did swap speakers, swap left and right input and disconnect input but got the same result.

Does anyone noticed the same behaviour?

Amp is les than 1 year old and I did not noticed this before.

Thanks for your hints.

Edited 1 day after.....
I forgot to mention that yesterday I became aware because left output channel was silent while right output channel was playing music.

Today It happened again: left output channel was silent while right output channel was playing music. After turn pa5 off and again on, left output channel started to play music.

Right now, while playing music (left channel still louder) I hear very loud pop in left channel and soud level is now equat as right channel. Also no loud pop when turn pa5 on.

Last edited:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, today I found strange behaviour in left output. I noticed that left output is louder than right. I also noticed loud pop only in left output when I turn amp on. I did swap speakers, swap left and right input and disconnect input but got the same result.

Thanks for your hints.
There’s a whole thread. Guess you can vote in the affirmative about an issue also.PA5 Issues Poll thread

MAB

Major Contributor

Thanks for your hints.
Welcome to the club. You have a bad PA5, similar to lots of other people. Topping says they extended the warranty to two years. Many members have a difficult time getting reasonable warranty service. Here is the thread on the defective PA5:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
F9FD3EC8-A53D-4334-AA8F-A09AC78AF5FF.png

Why are people still buying that bomb? :facepalm:
“Conclusions
It is abundantly clear that ton of great engineering has gone into the design of Topping PA5. It breaks all barriers as far as noise and distortion, not only in its own budget/desktop class, but way, way outside of that. If it had double the power, it would obsolete all of them and in a hurry! As it is, I would certainly use it in a desktop or secondary system. And even primary if you are not going to blast the volume with super inefficient speakers.

It is my absolute pleasure to recommend the Topping PA5. The dynamics of stereo amplifier market just changed folks!”

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
tbf the proprieter has always said that its very hard to give any opinion on long term reliability

the tests just show a snapshot in time... which can change even due to firmware where supported

one might expect the Chinese to actually improve reliability due to early reports... i mean even Fosi do that and they are certainly nowhere near even close to being 'state of the art'

so I expect better from manufacturers who 'top the charts' here to respond and remedy 'early adopters' and clearly put out V1.1 models that fix problems so that new consumers are not affected by problems as experience here.

I would love for their reps to come out and say that 'every model now in channel should not exhibit these problems'.

However it is obvious I am wildly optimistic and frequently disappointed by the business practices shown here. But hey I hope you guys enjoyed the Chinese 11/11 festival!

Spend your money!

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
tbf the proprieter has always said that its very hard to give any opinion on long term reliability

the tests just show a snapshot in time... which can change even due to firmware where supported

one might expect the Chinese to actually improve reliability due to early reports... i mean even Fosi do that and they are certainly nowhere near even close to being 'state of the art'

so I expect better from manufacturers who 'top the charts' here to respond and remedy 'early adopters' and clearly put out V1.1 models that fix problems so that new consumers are not affected by problems as experience here.

I would love for their reps to come out and say that 'every model now in channel should not exhibit these problems'.

However it is obvious I am wildly optimistic and frequently disappointed by the business practices shown here. But hey I hope you guys enjoyed the Chinese 11/11 festival!

Spend your money!
Not saying they could predict the quality or failure of an item but an edit or some update could possibly be helpful.

Alexium

Why are people still buying that bomb? :facepalm:
I wanted to buy it until I've seen this discussion. Thanks for the warning!
Such an amazing performance, at this price... A pity it has reliability issues. Is this the price to be paid with class D due to the complexity?

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
ironically class d should be much much more reliable over traditonal technology.... lower heat less parts count and potentially less fussy about lower quality components

even on this forum alone its a bit disappointing to see the RMAs needed

there's a few people here who are either quasi collectors and early adopters and its easy to see what is going on

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Is this the price to be paid with class D due to the complexity?

Nahh, it's just not easy to design products that are guaranteed to have a low failure rate. Often a fatal oversight only gets discovered after the product has hit the market.

Most brands that make budget audio gear have one or more "black sheep" models in their historical lineups. There's lots of Class AB amps that are notorious for doing electrical seppuku in one way or another.

mike70

Such an amazing performance, at this price..

I think you have the answer ... high performance, support, reliability, warranty, etc etc costs money.

People want sky high quality and all other facets at banana's price, but in 21 century that doesn't exists. Bad and expensive products exists? Oh yes ... and forums like this are a great tool for consumers, but please, don't believe in Santa Claus.

Alexium

high performance, support, reliability, warranty, etc etc costs money
I get your point, but high performance is already here, and warranty doesn't cost much money if your product has a failure rate of 0.01% instead of 40%.

I've come to expect that electronics made in the 80s and later just works, forever (or virtually forever) as long as you're using it properly. This includes modern cheap Chinese noname stuff which I did expect to fail - but it doesn't. It's truly shocking to see an expensive (relatively) product from a brand to do so poorly, even if it's a Chinese company.

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
It really is good when you have a working one. I think Topping has or will figure it out. $350 is nothing for that level of performance.
But you're not paying $350 for that level of performance. You are paying $350 to roll the dice.

Personally, I was quite close to pulling the trigger on a unit, fortunately I waffled and during that period of hesitation the issues with the PA came to light. For now, Topping is a "no go" in my book. Not only for the failure rate, but also in regards to how the company handled the matter.

Last edited:
Top Bottom