• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

JackShepard

my KEF R7s, as well as my wife's Quad S2s sound exactly the same through the PA5, my old Marantz PM7200, a Pionner receiver my boss lent me while i sent the PA5 back for replacement, and my now new Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 (with RoomPerfect disabled)
So its a defective unit you think? Maybe Topping change something without publication?
I don't think the PA5 is suitable for speakers that have a wide operating power range. The same KEF R7 15-250W (??? How?). Quad S2 - 25-150W. Like 20-200W Demand D11. No miracle happened.
My PA5 is hot without workload like AB class amplifiers on load. 1552 a little bit warm after hour of playback.

Last edited:

JackShepard

How likely is it that the PA5 can't fully function with the D30 Pro? Does anyone have any playback experience with this DAC?

JohnnyN

Hi all,

I’m looking into purchasing the PA5 for a set-up incorporating a turntable. Can someone please recommend some sufficient phono pre-amps for use with this?

Also, I’m not expecting the phono pre-amps to have TRS output. So what’s the solve here—is it okay to use an RCA to TRS cable (or XLR to TRS, depending on the pre-amp)?

Thanks!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks decent if you need to use such a unit as this. Price isn't horrible. Wouldn't get excited about it in any case.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all,

I’m looking into purchasing the PA5 for a set-up incorporating a turntable. Can someone please recommend some sufficient phono pre-amps for use with this?

Also, I’m not expecting the phono pre-amps to have TRS output. So what’s the solve here—is it okay to use an RCA to TRS cable (or XLR to TRS, depending on the pre-amp)?

Thanks!
I’m using a Cambridge Audio Alva Solo. it connects via RCA to the RCA inputs on a Schiit Magnius. The Magnius connects XLR to TRS. If your not going through a pre-amp you could connect using RCA to TS cables. I did that for a while using some home made cables and it worked fine. You lose a bit of power though. If you are going straight from phono stage to amp, I would recommend the CA Alva Duo over the solo.

JohnnyN

I’m using a Cambridge Audio Alva Solo. it connects via RCA to the RCA inputs on a Schiit Magnius. The Magnius connects XLR to TRS. If your not going through a pre-amp you could connect using RCA to TS cables. I did that for a while using some home made cables and it worked fine. You lose a bit of power though. If you are going straight from phono stage to amp, I would recommend the CA Alva Duo over the solo.
Appreciate the response very much. What benefit does adding the Magnius or something like it to the chain provide? Would it help avoid loss of power?

For further context, I’m planning to use the PA5 with a pair of JBL Studio 530. Will be in a fairly large living room/dining room area with pretty high ceilings, so I’m thinking I’ll want all the power the PA5 can provide. I’ll use the same set-up for streaming music, so will definitely have a DAC in the equation for that.

Only asking about phono pre-amp because my 6-year old son is very into records and so I’ll be adding a turntable to this set-up. Will be my first turntable purchase.

DHT 845

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No idea about the power of PA5 but my 20W class A amp sound 3x more powerful. PA5 is typical class D with EWS (empty watt syndrome). It is desktop toy, nothing else.

ModDIY

No idea about the power of PA5 but my 20W class A amp sound 3x more powerful. PA5 is typical class D with EWS (empty watt syndrome). It is desktop toy, nothing else.

Like empty calories in sugar.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no such thing as empty watt syndrome. Are you sure your not just failing to provide sufficient input volts? What is your source? What is the gain of your 20W amp compared with the PA5?

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Appreciate the response very much. What benefit does adding the Magnius or something like it to the chain provide? Would it help avoid loss of power?

For further context, I’m planning to use the PA5 with a pair of JBL Studio 530. Will be in a fairly large living room/dining room area with pretty high ceilings, so I’m thinking I’ll want all the power the PA5 can provide. I’ll use the same set-up for streaming music, so will definitely have a DAC in the equation for that.

Only asking about phono pre-amp because my 6-year old son is very into records and so I’ll be adding a turntable to this set-up. Will be my first turntable purchase.
For me, the advantage of the Magnius is that it is a headphone amp and can increase output for incoming signals if they are lower than what will reach full gain on the PA5. It also allows switching, whichnifnyounhavenmore than two sources is nice.
how sensitive are your speakers? Mine are 90 dBsSPL/watt/meter. My room is 4x4 meters and 3 to 4 meters tall. At full power, average listening volume at 2 meters is 90 dbSPL. If you like to listen really loud, it might not be powerful enough. Here is a basic calculator for figuring out how many watts you need. And watts are watts, all else being the same.

DHT 845

There is no such thing as empty watt syndrome. Are you sure your not just failing to provide sufficient input volts? What is your source? What is the gain of your 20W amp compared with the PA5?
I am not sure about gain, but I used Pre90 in both cases. For me PA5 lacks midbass and low midrange fullness and punch. It was like turning my dynamic speakers into electrostatic panels. No energy. No fun. The depth was also weak, more into one plane and upfront.

Bleib

Major Contributor
I am not sure about gain, but I used Pre90 in both cases. For me PA5 lacks midbass and low midrange fullness and punch. It was like turning my dynamic speakers into electrostatic panels. No energy. No fun. The depth was also weak, more into one plane and upfront.
I don't experience that at all. Bas has tons of energy as Amir's review points out and I'm comparing this to my AVR which has great continues power.
(actual measurements: https://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/avr-2308ci/avr-2308ci-measurements )

Last edited:

DHT 845

I hope LA90 is better. But someone said (?) that the two sound the same. I like my topping gear but in that case have to forget about it's power amps...

DHT 845

I don't experience that at all. Bas has tons of energy as Amir's review points out and I'm comparing this to my AVR which has great continues power.
It is like contour of energy, empty inside. No pumping. That is why it sounds a bit "flat". There is very good localisation (focus) and clean highs but it is not enough to pull me into music. My tubes also have these positive traits...
But in terms of desktop small amps topping is very good. Clean, even liquid and transparent.

Bleib

Major Contributor
I hope LA90 is better. But someone said (?) that the two sound the same. I like my topping gear but in that case have to forget about it's power amps...
Well, yeah, they should be pretty transparent but LA90 does have less power. 4ohm, both channels driven: LA90: 56w vs PA5: 83w
LA90 however is cleaner, but it's hard to say if this can be picked up by human ears.

dominikz

Forum Donor
It is like contour of energy, empty inside. No pumping. That is why it sounds a bit "flat". There is very good localisation (focus) and clean highs but it is not enough to pull me into music. My tubes also have these positive traits...
But in terms of desktop small amps topping is very good. Clean, even liquid and transparent.
Audible differences between power amplifiers usually boil down to one or more of the following:

1) Imprecise level-matching, or in general listening without sufficient controls in place, required to avoid various subconscious perception biases. This is especially problematic if amps being compared have different gain levels.

2) Differences in amplifier output impedances, which may result in significant frequency response deviations (see this post). PA5 has very low output impedance (good) so it is almost unaffected by the load, but your other amps may be. These FR deviations, if any, can be corrected by EQ.

3) One or both amps are overdriven, and handle clipping differenly

4) One or both amps are audibly noisy

DHT 845

I owned class D amp lwith digital EQ built that had 2x 300W (8 Ohm) 2x 600W (4 Ohm), digital inputs AES/EBU
It had subjectively more power (slam) than PA5 and bigger sounstage depth (but slightly narrower than PA5). Nevetheless I returned to class A. That is my choice, it is like a drug addiction. I lost my belief that I could accept class D, but I am wide open to new experiences...

Top Bottom