• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not just hypex and purifi. There is the MA12070 (as in the Topping PA3S, a friend has it), which is excellent.

I have class AB amplifiers and also a double MA12070 from Sabaj, and the sound is excellent.
Orchard Audio makes some nice boards too. Different application than the PA5, though.

JeffGB

I don't t understand. If I change channel switch, there is no relay click. I can hear relay click (delayed) only when change power switch and input switch is set to channel 2.

Can anyone PA5 owner confirm this relay behavior?
I tested my PA5 and have the same result as yourself. If the power is turned on with input 1 selected, there is no relay noise but if the power is turned on with input 2 selected, there is the sound of a relay clicking. If the PA5 is powered up and I switch between input 1 and input 2 there is no relay click. Other than that peculiarity it works perfectly.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I tested my PA5 and have the same result as yourself. If the power is turned on with input 1 selected, there is no relay noise but if the power is turned on with input 2 selected, there is the sound of a relay clicking. If the PA5 is powered up and I switch between input 1 and input 2 there is no relay click. Other than that peculiarity it works perfectly.

I'm sorry for you. It shouldn't have happened.

Toku

Major Contributor
That's normal behavior.

wlgreg

I captured some video of my intermittent static/crackling issue. Streamer and DAC are entirely disconnected, Only the PA5 going into my Kef speakers.

One channel only, the other is dead silent. I have had the static issue in both left and right channels (always one at a time, never both simultaneously), on both PA5 inputs.

PA5 static sample

iI have submitted a return request to APOS, with a request that they inquire with Topping about known manufacturing issues. After 2 bad units in a row, I am not eager to roll the dice on a third unless Topping can provide some sort of explanation and assurance that the issue has been rectified.

in the meantime, will be looking for alternatives. Maybe it's time to splurge a bit for a Purifi model from Buckeye Amps or March Audio…

Nonick

Return the unit. I had zero static/white noise with PA5 on JBL Stage A190 speakers, dead silent. This unit is defective.
For unknown reason i changed PA5 for SMSL AO200 - loud static noise, extreme distortion on analog input volume 48. I returned AO200.
Topping PA5 back in the house.

D

Deleted member 46664

Sorry if I'm late to the game on this review but ... a question if I may...

Does anyone know if this amp knows the TRS trick where you can use it single ended by plugging in a TS (mono) plug?

D

Deleted member 46664

Yes, but you will have reduced amplifier power.
It's pretty normal to lose about 6db this way. But so long as it doesn't shut down one side of the BTL pair, that's acceptable.

I would be using it single ended in the short term, then balanced after I update other parts of my setup.

D

Deleted member 46664

What do you mean?
With the TS plug, you short-circuited the negative line to ground.
Yes, but only at the input connector.... It's done in pro-audio quite a bit.
Basically the input is an opamp set up as a differential input with single ended output.

Like this....

xlr in.JPG

Grounding the cold signal (Pin 2) just forces it to revert to single ended behaviour.

Or is this amp "fully balanced", input to output?

AudioArchitech

I shut off all dimmers, lights, even shut the breakers off to my fridge and freezer. Plugged into different circuits around the house (using a thick 50 foot 14 awg extension cord) and the static was always there.

And on mine, the static and pops typically happen more when the music stops. But often get the odd crackle/pop, sometimes get static when music is playing now too.

Top Bottom