• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA3s Review (Desktop Amplifier)

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello, i'm new here, sorry if im in the wrong forum.
I bought used Wharfedale floor speaker and plan to buy this PA3s (Marked the image with red circle).

View attachment 283973 I read somewhere that minimum we need to power the speaker is 50%, so i think Topping PA3s is enough?
I'm just listening to music, no movie, no game, no tv. And the db is around 70-75db, not more. If more than that, my wife will sound more than 75db.

View attachment 283976

Right now im using Fozi ZK-002. Just for survival (temporary), better than nothing. While im still saving for the right amplifier.
Anybody have same situation? Thank you in advance.
What is your budget? My friend is selling his PA3s. If I were you, I would aim for another amplifier. I compared it to my Sabaj A20a (2019 not 2022) and it sounded a bit lackluster. It's a subjective opinion, I agree.

ReisDaddy

What is your budget? My friend is selling his PA3s. If I were you, I would aim for another amplifier. I compared it to my Sabaj A20a (2019 not 2022) and it sounded a bit lackluster. It's a subjective opinion, I agree.

Thank you ModDIY, PA3s is my budget. Can not get more. PA5 and Sabaj A20a is far from my budget. I think its 3 times PA3s price.
Because i still need saving for the DAC Topping E30 ii.
And also Sabaj its hard to find here.

HappyMetalGuy

The model name is ICEpower 50ASX2.
TEAC in Japan still uses that module in their expensive NR-7CD and other products.
Thank you ModDIY, PA3s is my budget. Can not get more. PA5 and Sabaj A20a is far from my budget. I think its 3 times PA3s price.
Because i still need saving for the DAC Topping E30 ii.
And also Sabaj its hard to find here.
Just bought the Topping DX3PRO+ and PA3s for 208€ let's hope all goes well. I'll give my subjective impressions of it compared to SMSL SU-1 connected to Aiyima A07.

HappyMetalGuy

Good afternoon forum users ! Tell me the owners of the amplifier. If in the Topping PA3s amplifier, completely turn off the volume with the knob. Unscrew it to the left until it stops to reduce the volume. The music is played while doing this. Will the residual volume of the music be heard very quietly? Is the volume of the music being played reduced to complete silence? I don't mean background and noise. Namely, the residual audibility of music?
Hi @ruslan6060 If the volume is set to minimum on PA3s there's no sound coming from the speakers. Is this happening to you on Aiyima A07?

ReisDaddy

@ModDIY I follow your friends way. Buy it, and test it yourself.
If im not satisfied, i can sell it, maybe i will fail, but if im not testing it i will fail forever...

Tada....

IMG_20230531_212731.jpg

Already test it around 2 weeks.
I think @ModDIY is right 100% about "lackluster". For bass i always test with song title: Toto - I Will Remember (the begining part). My older amp win.
But for the clarity i test with song Julie London - The End Of The World, her voice its much much more clean.
So far im happy with it.

I will make a DIY speaker switch and source switch to test the amp side by side.

howard416

Any reason why I shouldn’t get a Flex Eight and a couple of these PA3s amps?

Music1969

Major Contributor
My friend is selling his PA3s.
He had to issues with it?

Reliability was good? No strange behaviours?

It's still for sale after nearly 3 years.

And good price for nearfield speakers , with 65W @ 4 ohms

Music1969

Major Contributor
Full Closed:
Gang 1: 4800
Gang 2: 5028
Gang 3: 4910
Gang 4: 4848

Half Open:
Gang 1: 771
Gang 2: 756
Gang 3: 749
Gang 4: 781

1/3rd Open:
Gang 1: 167
Gang 2: 155
Gang 3: 198
Gang 4: 204
So 12 oclock position is best?

Music1969

Major Contributor
The reason why the hiss noise of PA3s is much smaller than that of DA-9 SA300 AO200 A20a is probably related to the low amplifier gain.

True.

I have 3 of these PA3s for my DIY desktop DSP speaker system.

The amp low gain is absolutely fine for nearfield (importantly with balanced output from DAC) , keeping hiss noise low.

Wonderful bargain for nearfield or small room. Definitely need to use balanced though.

And no known QA/QC reliability issues over 3 years, is what gave me comfort to buy this amp.

Very happy.

Due to volume pot imbalance issues measured and showed in this thread, I set the amps fixed to 1 o'clock volume position - balanced output DAC controls volume in digital domain.

Jhify

True.

I have 3 of these PA3s for my DIY desktop DSP speaker system.

The amp low gain is absolutely fine for nearfield (importantly with balanced output from DAC) , keeping hiss noise low.

Wonderful bargain for nearfield or small room. Definitely need to use balanced though.

And no known QA/QC reliability issues over 3 years, is what gave me comfort to buy this amp.

Very happy.

Due to volume pot imbalance issues measured and showed in this thread, I set the amps fixed to 1 o'clock volume position - balanced output DAC controls volume in digital domain.
I used both Balanced and single ended I didn't notice much difference with the hiss I had to stick my ear right on the tweeter with both to hear any background noise it's absolutely dead quiet at 1 meter. Maybe it was your source ?

3 of them ? If one is able to drive your speakers to the volume you need I doubt you'd hear any difference using 3. Maybe try, if no difference get a refund on the two extras and buy pretty acoustic panels with that money to treat your room :)

Music1969

Major Contributor
Maybe it was your source ?
I never said I have a hiss problem ?

3 of them ? If one is able to drive your speakers to the volume you need I doubt you'd hear any difference using 3.
It is a DSP active system... with DSP crossover.

6 drivers needs 6 amp channels.... hence 3 x PA3s ...

Maybe try, if no difference get a refund on the two extras and buy pretty acoustic panels with that money to treat your room

Why ? :) I think you've misunderstood and assumed a lot;)

1695887879341.png

Jhify

I never said I have a hiss problem ?

It is a DSP active system... with DSP crossover.

6 drivers needs 6 amp channels.... hence 3 x PA3s ...

Why ? :) I think you've misunderstood and assumed a lot;)

View attachment 315299
Yes maybe. I don't get the benefit of it. I DSP my speakers too and have a flat curve with only one amp but I'll look into it maybe I'm missing something.

Music1969

Major Contributor
but I'll look into it maybe I'm missing something.
The point of my original post today was not to suggest anyone is missing anything..

I was simply sharing that PA3s is very reliable for me and a bargain for my nearfield setup.

And there is no hiss problem -due to the low gain but low gain is absolutely fine for my nearfield setup.

I have had hiss problems in the past with pro active speakers by big names in Pro audio (JBL, earlier KRK models, iLoud)

UA8890

The point of my original post today was not to suggest anyone is missing anything..

I was simply sharing that PA3s is very reliable for me and a bargain for my nearfield setup.

And there is no hiss problem -due to the low gain but low gain is absolutely fine for my nearfield setup.

I have had hiss problems in the past with pro active speakers by big names in Pro audio (JBL, earlier KRK models, iLoud)
You said absolutely right. I kept the Topping pa3s for the small bedroom, near field. Absolutely quiet amplifier. No hissing. The volume is enough for me to turn the knob for 12 hours. A very reliable amplifier. There are very good reviews on the reliability of Topping pa3s on the forums. I also adjust the volume of the Topping dx3pro+ DAC using the remote control. The purest sound. Very pleased with the amplifier.

howard416

Anyone know why the transfer function graph looks so crappy but this unit still has remarkably good multi-tone performance? Comparing to other units such A07, Fosi V3, Sylph-D200, etc.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Anyone know why the transfer function graph looks so crappy but this unit still has remarkably good multi-tone performance? Comparing to other units such A07, Fosi V3, Sylph-D200, etc.
Which transfer function graph do you mean? Please share a screenshot

Top Bottom